SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This XBOXOne S is complicated. How do you play a BluRay disc??????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This XBOXOne S is complicated. How do you play a BluRay disc?????? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Got one of these for my birthday not because I want to play video games but I wanted a 4k but I wanted an all in one 4k media center.
OTA TV, 4k BluRay (not just upscaled), Plex, Netflix,Hulu, Amazon Video, etc.
Man I have been setting it up for days. Granted I only get about 30 minutes at any one time to fool with it.
I have been downloading all my Apps and configuring them.
All these stupid log ins for the XBOX are annoying.

I just want to turn the thing on and it shows all my apps on one screen, I choose which one I want to use.
Is this even possible??
I don't want these ads and all these other little icons. Just my Apps.

I am trying to setup a new activity on my Harmony remote. Hopefully that is not a gigantic nightmare to get setup.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Once you have everything configured, you can set it to logon to your network when powered on. Most apps allow you to save your logon password so they just launch once configured. You do need to logged on to your Xbox for the apps to launch correctly with your passwords saved.

I have the original model and I primarily use it for Blue Ray, Amazon Prime, and You Tube videos. I still game primarily on my PC.

Best of luck with the new machine,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Took me, quite literally, a week to get an XBOX One to a semi useable state. Most of this had to do with downloading updates over an internet connection that is somewhat slow by today's standards (3MB)

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I hope it’s better than the One

I got the original one because I had hoped it would be an all in one media center

What it became was an unusable quagmire thst required a 30 minute update practically every time I turned it on

I will be interested to see if the newer one actually does what the older one promised

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty handy once set up, just takes a while to get there. As far as updates, it’s the apps that get updated. The XBox can’t help it that Netflix or Amazon tweaked their apps. Granted Microsoft will change their layout occasionally, but that’s rare. I believe you can set it to where it will check/download updates on its own. I have only heard others talk about that, haven’t dove into check myself.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Went through something similar when I set up my Project Scorpio. I was able to clone my other XBOX over the network so most of it stayed the same.

You'll need to set it to auto login to your account and PIN the stuff you want to use all the time so after it logs in, just scroll down a few tabs to your pinned stuff.

I have it set to just autoupdate everything so whenever I turn it on, it's already downloading stuff in the background.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
PIN the stuff you want to use all the time so after it logs in, just scroll down a few tabs to your pinned stuff.

Yep.

There's a button around the middle of the home page that's grayish and says something like "My Apps and Games". If you click on that, it will bring up a page with every app you have installed.

And any apps/games that you've "pinned" will show up towards the bottom of your home page. Do this with your most-used apps. Highlight the app you want to pin from the Installed Apps/Games screen described above, and push the little round button with the three lines on it near the middle of the controller (it's just to the left of the X button ). This will bring up a menu, with one of the options being something like "Pin to Homepage".

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I doubt I’ll be doing much gaming but I was given the HALO bundle. Downloading the 1st game now.
97GB wowzers!!!
I am guessing that is midddle of the road in size for games.

Any good car racing games???
I have not played video games since PlayStation 2 and the original XBOX.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Any good car racing games???
I have not played video games since PlayStation 2 and the original XBOX.

Forza Horizon 3

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I currently have 50mbs service. I see up to 75mbs frequently.
Hardwired game is downloading at 65mbs.
Will this be enough if I start playing online a bit?

————————————————

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My son got one for his birthday and I agree with you. We also have a PS4 and it was crazy easy to use. When I first set that up I remember being impressed with how intuitive and user friendly it was. The PS4 home page is simple, clean and makes it easy to find everything I want. The Xbox is a mess.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I currently have 50mbs service. I see up to 75mbs frequently.
Hardwired game is downloading at 65mbs.
Will this be enough if I start playing online a bit?

Yes. We run about the same speeds and I have no problems. I’ve played with speeds in the 20s and not had problems.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Anyway to get rid off f the advertisements on the main page??

Good online place for used games?
Would like a cheap hockey game.

————————————————

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway to get rid off f the advertisements on the main page??

Unfortunately, no. Unless you disconnect your Xbox from the internet.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh, I feel ur pain. Our youngest just turned 9 so I decided to upgrade from our Wii U to the XBox one S at Christmas. It also replaced our Apple TV and blue ray player.

I concur, Forza Horizon 3 is awesome and you can just buy it on Amazon and download it to the HD.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forza Horizon 3 + Hot Wheels Expansion + Assassin's Creed Unity game codes for $32.98 HERE.

I have used cdkeys.com and they are legit.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have an ONE and a ONE X...

They both have a tab right on the home page called "My games and apps", that takes you right to the games and apps on your console.

Does the S model not have that? Aside from the amount of time to download all of the upgrades, I found the Xbox to be pretty easy to set up

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you are talking about.
I got the xbox oneX and tried to set it up. Got a lot of it done I think and when I went back on to finish, it would not accept my password??
Never turned it back on. Got it for Christmas.

Got out my old Xbox 360 and have been using it.

I think they really screwed it up. It acts like you have to log in to save any progress in your game?
I need to find a local gamer to come educate me so I can use it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Multiplayer is set up for DSL speeds so you're good to go. If your upload speed is high, you might get to be the host of the match which is good for you.

Check your router settings and make sure it's set up to xbox live.

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)

I have two Xboxes at my house and I make sure the one I use is set up with a static ip so I get full access over my son. Smile

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I have an ONE and a ONE X...

They both have a tab right on the home page called "My games and apps", that takes you right to the games and apps on your console.

Does the S model not have that? Aside from the amount of time to download all of the upgrades, I found the Xbox to be pretty easy to set up

It does. Just trying to see if it was possible to eliminate a step. Trying to keep things as simple as possible for when the grandparents are watching the boys.

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Multiplayer is set up for DSL speeds so you're good to go. If your upload speed is high, you might get to be the host of the match which is good for you.

Check your router settings and make sure it's set up to xbox live.

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)

I have two Xboxes at my house and I make sure the one I use is set up with a static ip so I get full access over my son. Smile

I doubt I will do much online play. My kids are always around and they won’t be playing or even know what video games are or that we can do it.

As a side note what is your Avatar?? I saw it on a car the other day and I knew I had seen it on Sigforum as an avatar.

Also I guess I am old fashioned but I want discs! I don’t like this download stuff.
Amazon has a bunch of the older sports games for like $10. So I’ll grab those as I don’t care about the specific players.
NHL 95 is still one of my favorites.

————————————————