SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Taking down Annoying Prey at Home!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking down Annoying Prey at Home! Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
So what is the average distance you are shooting with one of these? I went on line and watched a video about it and the inventor said 24" was the ideal distance... that seems kind of silly to me... that is the only issue I'm having with deciding whether to buy one.... I'd think 5-8ft at least would be more fun....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:

Houseflies are a given, but right now the freaking crane flies are EVERYWHERE! If the doors open for just a moment, they charge inside like a Cape buffalo on meth!! Mosquitos are showing up too and when our AZ weather warms up, the scorpions show (but hopefully only outside).

I use a vacuum cleaner. The flies hit the dirt bag at about 5 G's with no mess to clean up. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
No need to purchase specialized weaponry to engage the common house fly. I have a cat.

Me too we are like a hunter/killer team she spots I go for the kill shot!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Bug-A-Salt gun

I wonder if those would discourage pigeons (or squirrels) from camping on bird feeders.

The useful range is too short (ideally around 5-6 feet) to work with either of those critters and they're far too big for the "caliber" of this gun. Remember, it's just shooting a very small amount of fine grained salt!

quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
So what is the average distance you are shooting with one of these? I went on line and watched a video about it and the inventor said 24" was the ideal distance... that seems kind of silly to me... that is the only issue I'm having with deciding whether to buy one.... I'd think 5-8ft at least would be more fun....

About 5-6 feet seems ideal. Too close and your pattern doesn't have time to open up. Too far and the salt has lost the needed momentum to kill efficiently.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
So...after you kill a few flies you spend the next 15 minutes going around the house cleaning up the salt?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve often thought of getting one of those guns, but then I remind myself about how few flies we have here, and they’re usually hiding someplace behind a curtain trying to get out. I’m impressed, though, by the safety message admonishing us to not shoot ourselves in the eye. I can only wonder how many complaints the company received about people doing that before they decided that a clear warning was necessary. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Careful...you'll shoot your eye out with one of those things! Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
So...after you kill a few flies you spend the next 15 minutes going around the house cleaning up the salt?

The amount expended is so small you don't even see it, unless you've shot a bug on a window. That will disappear quite quickly. I've been using my gun for months now and last night was the first time I reloaded it's "magazine" (reservoir). These are very efficient!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Will these work on stink bugs?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Will these work on stink bugs?

Since I've killed scorpions with mine, I'm sure it will, but you may have to consider the danger associated with getting so close to your target. Reminds me of a friend that tried to use pepper spray on a skunk that was raiding his trash can. Things didn't work out that well for him. Big Grin

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 of those for the grandkids for Christmas. Totally useless. They were in the garbage by days end. I think the humidity here was the problem. For example its 87% today. Even with fresh salt they jammed up and wouldn't feed. I can see being in a low humidity location would possibly be much different result. Still a very short killing range.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need to see some ballistic Jello-tan results

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post