SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old "Hit and Miss" engines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old "Hit and Miss" engines Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
So I don't have time for a new hobby right now but that never stopped me before... liking all thing old and mechanical I have been thinking I might at some point get into this.

So of course the first place to go is to the Sig collective.

For any of you guys into this how do I educate myself to avoid being taken or ending up with some oddball crap that is worthless or you can't get parts for etc?

Thanks
TD

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
For any of you guys into this how do I educate myself to avoid being taken or ending up with some oddball crap that is worthless or you can't get parts for etc?

start looking around old steam engine groups, go to 'steam ups' and seek out old timers that have such gear sitting about their place...

Here in PNW theres several regular swap meets and at least one HUGE one that attracts those with old parts on engines not built since before kerosene.

Contact such people as these: http://www.antiquepowerland.com/html/steam-up.html

They have absolutely huge entrants of all color mfg, including John Deere (popping Johnny etc) factions displaying & parading all manner of models....some so rare even this year, after 20+ annual trips to the Steam Up, I've only seen them once or twice. There's a flea market swap meet covers about 5 acres in the middle of the Steam fest.

Most of them are delighted to talk to newcomers.

If you don't want full size steam, there's ample small gas engine hobby opportunities.

Portland has an "antique garden tractor" club that displays all manner of long orphaned machinery, some for sale or trade.

A few years ago I rebuilt a one-wheel garden tractor similar to this one but a couple decades older. Parts were still available for a machine that was last built circa 1949.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT3k9BO4Ju4

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Hit and Miss Blues.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I'm not a collector of stationary engines, but dad is... I know he used to frequent Enginads and Smokstak

Are there any threshing shows near you? I've found you can strike up a conversation with any of the guys exhibiting their engines and they're happy to talk with you about them.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would love to find an ole' smaller hit and miss motor for the homestead. Have not run across the one yet. Frown

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Some time ago I read a story or saw a video about a guy who would tow a wood cutter powered by a single cylinder hit/miss engine to people's homes. I'm thinking this was in the '30s. Looked as bullet-proof as any engine would possibly be.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've seen working versions from the 20s & 30s, of small single cylinder steam engines running every manner of device, from granny's Maytag 'warshing machine' to drag saws to small garden tractors to stationary pumps to ice cream makers to saw mills. Anything needing power is on display at the 'Antique Steam Festival' with devices I never thought about before seeing them in action.

One local collector had a 20' flat bed truck full of running examples, while his yard was full of larger models. He died a few years ago & his heirs sold off the collection at scrap prices.

Another local old timer runs his yearly apple pressing with a 7.5 hp single cylinder steam engine built circa 1910. His orchard is around 150 varieties of apple.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I've seen working versions from the 20s & 30s, of small single cylinder steam engines running every manner of device ...

That is what I saw. It was towed by his horse and ran on steam. Every other stroke it would belch a cloud of steam?

I believe it was still images only plus a recording of the engine.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure you learn before you spend any money. Some of the repairs on these old guys aren't done well and parts are either hard to find or non existent. Better to pay a little more from someone reliable and honest. It's a pretty big field.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
That would be fun! I don't have any experience with them other than a month or so ago we had some ice cream from these guys:

https://www.facebook.com/Hit-N...ock-115056668530815/

It was great. Their ice cream maker is powered by a 1930 John Deere hit and miss engine:
https://www.facebook.com/11505...s/10203725783818169/

It makes really good homemade ice cream!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t know how mechanically inclined you are and knowing that might help our recommendations. If mechanics, engines and machining are passions that have been a part of most of your life then this direction can be rewarding and expand your knowledge and abilities.

If you are curious with limited exposure I think a model live steam engine or model gas engine might be the way to go. They can both teach basics and will give foundation that you can grow on when looking to pursue the interest further. On the other hand you might find a model steam engine interesting and it might answer all your questions about the subject. You may then decide that you have no further interest. In this case your investment won’t be too expensive.

Antique engine shows will get you into a group of people that are passionate about the subject. Search the subject on the web and get to a few to see the diversity in the subject. Often such shows also have models for sale. These events will be time well spent.

My interest in engines began as a kid. Steam, gas and diesel are all in my area of interest. I have a barn for storing the vehicles, tractors, boats, etc. I have no idea how many engines I have in there. More than 20, probably less than 50. Find someone like me in your area, spend some time with him and he can help you decide how deep you want to go -

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was great. Their ice cream maker is powered by a 1930 John Deere hit and miss engine:

Not sure if it's the same guy but there is an Ice Cream vendor on Beach street in Daytona during Bikeweek and Biketoberfest, makes great Ice cream and runs a JD hit and miss...

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/result...+reunion+mt.+plesant

http://www.oldthreshers.org/index.cfm/?pageID=58

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Not sure if it's the same guy but there is an Ice Cream vendor on Beach street in Daytona during Bikeweek and Biketoberfest, makes great Ice cream and runs a JD hit and miss...

One at ocean Springs last week.

Might be the same guy. Or he may be a permanent part of the downtown scene.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well I'll be sure to stop, get a video of the engine and ask him, plus get a cone of vanilla

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's too bad Lindsey Publications isn't around anymore. They were the go to source for books on this and related subjects.
Edit: Some of their stuff is still available here; http://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/

Everyone I know who's into these things usually has a mini or micro mill so they can make their own parts.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Don’t know how mechanically inclined you are and knowing that might help our recommendations.

Well I have pulled and overhauled a few car / truck engines in my driveway. Built a couple utility trailers and done some repairing of farm equipment. I had 3 years of machine shop class in High School with straight A's. I worked in a machine shop as a metal lathe operator for a while. I built a wood lathe from scratch, and a 22 HP 35 ton log splitter... but I have no access to actual machining equipment now. I do have an old drill press, stick welder and cutting torch set collecting dust. I also have a table top mill but no tooling.

Does that help? Smile

Lots of great feedback guys THANKS.
Looks like a good winter pastime studying up...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
A lot of people start off with the old washing machine engines.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes cparkdt, it does.

You certainly have the experience to jump in with both feet. Craigslist might find some old tractors that haven’t run in a while, old car engines (I would love to find an old straight 8), generators, welders (gas driven), or maybe even a motorcycle. The big deal in any of those is that they should be complete. There are exceptions - almost everything is available for all John Deere tractors. Ditto for the old Chrysler 6 cylinder engines.

Incomplete might be that way for the obvious reason - parts dried up long ago.

An interesting, new path - enjoy the trip.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that would buy the model kits, rough castings and mill them down to working models. he always found a buyer for the running engines. if he didn't have access to a machine shop, he would sign up at the local tech/community college and take a "class". the teachers knew him well, and would leave him to his madness.

ymmv
john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post