SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old "Hit and Miss" engines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old "Hit and Miss" engines Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
one of the instructive displays at the Brooks Steam Fest is a hand fabricated collection of a working scale model of about 105 different TYPES of steam engines, all run by little clear plastic tubes of compressed air from a small compressor.

A retired machinist built it IIRC something over 30 years ago.

I had no idea of the range of design differences. The board they are all mounted on I would guess is something around 36"x36". You could open or close miniature valves to control which model you wanted to watch.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/WVjOQw84thc

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
There's a club or two around here. They are cool to watch but get pricey.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/WVjOQw84thc

I recall helping Granny many times circa 1950ish, getting her Maytag with a similar motor, ready for action out in the side yard....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Are those washer motors hit and miss engines? They don't sound like it.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
this one looks like a small 2 stroke;

'hit & miss' belies the effect yet simple control of power output of the older steam engine by an rpm limiting device. Some of these relied on a whirling set of weights that would spin outward as rpm increased, resulting in holding open a valve in the compression cylinder. As the missed power stroke slowed down the flywheel rotation a bit, there was a point at which such control was quite adequate for the purpose.

No electronic anything, just relatively simple mechanical linkages.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~