SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend an aftermarket compass for car/truck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend an aftermarket compass for car/truck Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Neither my car or my truck have GPS or a compass. Not ALL that interested in a GPS but I would like to have a compass in both vehicles. Digital with HUD would be nice but not critical. Readout in direction (ie N, NW, etc) preferred, direction and degrees would be sweet. Around $50 tops would be nice.

I see some stuff on Amazon but it seems like the compass function is an afterthought and they have lebendy-seven functions I don't need or care about.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iPhones have a compass application built into iOS.

https://support.apple.com/guid...pass-iph1ac0b663/ios

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I used to have a grandpa style Airguide Compass like this in an old Suburban I drove. I think it might fit your pistol, or whatever.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinta...erwork-/303388056507

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Bubble compass, backlit, battery powered, direction and degrees, surface mounted/removable, temperature tolerable (windshield heat)

Calibration is a must - when the car\truck is running, there is an induced magnetic field and noise. The $6 knock offs will likely always be stuck on W.

Make sure it's leveled.

Have a look at Ritchie Compasses
S-53 : 2 3/4" dial 5" x 5" x 4",
*** X-10-M: 2" dial

Amazon - Ritchie

[edited link]

Click on the RITCHIE COMPASSES vendor link for more products.

read reviews ...

I bought two of the X-10-M: one for the RAV4, t'other for the Crosstrek. PNW roads/driving. After calibration, works very well. Kinda different education to GPS.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also recommend Richie compasses. They make several surface mount compasses for the marine industry, so they will hold up to whatever jarring a car will do. Here are some sold at West Marine.

You can get a good one from $50-80
https://www.westmarine.com/sur...ousel-_-Compass-_-NA

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post