SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Force Releases Video Of John Chapman’s Final Heroic Moments That Earned Him The Medal Of Honor

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Air Force Releases Video Of John Chapman’s Final Heroic Moments That Earned Him The Medal Of Honor Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
American character and uncommon valor.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I was at Air Force Special Operations Command when this happened. Every senior Air Force commander and NCO at AFSOC was outraged that he did not receive the Medal of Honor from the outset. He was a true warrior and American Hero in the highest traditions of the service.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Well deserved and long overdue.

He charged and killed the enemy, got wounded and left for dead by the rest of his team, woke up and continued the fight until he was killed.

Doesn't get much more heroic than that.

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Well deserved and long overdue.

He charged and killed the enemy, got wounded and left for dead by the rest of his team, woke up and continued the fight until he was killed.

Doesn't get much more heroic than that.

+1 on that one!

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
That's a man with balls and a mission.

Why aren't we naming schools after men like this?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
That's a man with balls and a mission.

Why aren't we naming schools after men like this?

Exactly!

Children should be taught this man's story in school.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't want to see it and I don't know why anyone else would. I don't like this video showing up on news websites. They don't care about the man or his mission or what he died for. They're fucking vultures, posting that video as click-bait. It's lurid and it's wrong. That's my opinion, worth precisely what you paid for it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would caution posting from a site like Task & Purpose, who's editorial board (finally) has been exposed to be a cabal of liberal veterans posing as objective journalists; a WTF opinion piece .

This story there isn't much question other than about time Chapman was honored with our nation's highest award and was releasing this video necessary?

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The same vid was posted a while back here and a discussion insued about those that left him behind.

I concur with Para's comment.

He died an American hero and should be honored as such.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I don't want to see it and I don't know why anyone else would. I don't like this video showing up on news websites. They don't care about the man or his mission or what he died for. They're fucking vultures, posting that video as click-bait. It's lurid and it's wrong. That's my opinion, worth precisely what you paid for it.

Thank you. I am of the same mind about the Danny Pearl murder and other atrocities that were video recorded. I will not watch them. I will not give the animals that use such any satisfaction.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here.

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Draal:
quote:

Same here.

Yup...ditto here.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Part of the reason I think they released the video is the ongoing consternation between the SEALS and the Air Force about this mission (which isn't graphic, BTW - But then again I'm numb to seeing that kind of thing on a FLIR, so it is what it is).

The SEALs said Chapman was dead, but he wasn't. When you look into the fog of war, on the way off the mountain the SEAL team leader actually climbed over Neil Roberts body (the SEAL who fell out of the helicopter and was killed before they had a chance to come back and rescue him) but thought it was Chapman, which further reinforce their believe that he was 'dead'.

So the SEALs position has always been "It's just FLIR video, you can't tell who is who and Chapman was dead (since we never leave people behind)". They have even gone so far as to try to get the MOH for Chapman to only mentioned his actions up until they said he was 'killed'.

But the fact is that this video and other forensic evidence shows that Chapman woke up, continued to fight and expended nearly all of his M4 ammunition in the process, finally being killed trying provide some measure of cover for next MH-47 rescue helo landing (which was subsequently shot down).

True American Hero.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
True American Hero.

I agree. He traded his life for our freedom. There really aren't adequate words to describe the heroism of someone who gives their life in the way he did. There are many who have done this since the American Revolution. I am grateful for all of them.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Part of the reason I think they released the video is the ongoing consternation between the SEALS and the Air Force about this mission
That may be why the Air Force released the video, but that's not why you see it on internet news sites, and that's not why most people are viewing the video.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post