SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The seven stages a country goes through
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The seven stages a country goes through Login/Join 
Picture of 383stroker
posted
It's been a while but there was once a thread about the seven stages a country goes through. I remember there was even a member that had the stages in the signature line. the final three if I remember right were dependency, apathy then tyranny. Does anyone know the full seven?

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
1. The age of outburst (or pioneers).
2. The age of conquests.
3. The age of commerce.
4. The age of affluence.
5. The age of intellect.
6. The age of decadence.
7. The age of decline and collapse.

https://www.ucg.org/the-good-n...ns-for-america-today

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The OP is thinking about Scottish economist Alexander Tytler, who, in 1787, was reported to have commented on the then-new American Republic as follows:
quote:
A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been about 200 years. These nations always progressed through this sequence:

From Bondage to Moral Certitude;

from Moral Certitude to Great Courage;

from Great Courage to Liberty;

from Liberty to Abundance;

from Abundance to Selfishness;

from Selfishness to Complacency;

from Complacency to Apathy;

from Apathy to Dependency;

from Dependency to Bondage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'll go along with Claire Wolfe: “America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.”
IMO, we're getting closer and closer to the latter stage.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
1. The age of outburst (or pioneers).
2. The age of conquests.
3. The age of commerce.
4. The age of affluence.
5. The age of intellect.
6. The age of decadence.
7. The age of decline and collapse.
All 7 have one thing in common. Either a strong belief in God or a gradual separation from God.
https://www.ucg.org/the-good-n...ns-for-america-today

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
“Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”

~ Eric Hoffer

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I remember that one Tatortodd posted as being one of the biggest discussion points. There was one other that was in my head and I couldn't remember if dependency came before apathy or the other way around.

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 383stroker:
or the other way around.

Eh. I don't care.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have seen a similar "cycle"; a country goes from righteousness (ala Ten Commandments) and humility, to peace and prosperity, to arrogance and selfishness, to corruption/wickedness, which leads to a downfall (ie, no more peace and prosperity); which then (hopefully) gets society back to humility and righteousness.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post