SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mac users do you use anti-virus & if so which one
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac users do you use anti-virus & if so which one Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
No, never have in over 22 years, and I spend hours on the internet almost daily.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The one time I used an anti-virus program on a Mac (corporate initiative), guess where the virus was?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I use the free version of Malwarebites, which doesn’t provide real-time protection (hence doesn’t steal CPU cycles). But I run a Malwarebites scan (takes ~25s) before each TimeMachine backup, so I know my backups are clean. Malwarebites has never reported anything other than “Congratulations, you are clean”.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ClamXAV works fine. Used to be free, now it's shareware. It's caught some things.

The most annoying thing now are websites than claim your Flash player is out of date and needs an update. If you fall for it, you will probably install a trojan horse. I always check the Flash control panel and see if I need an update and it usually says "up to date".

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Macs all u need is regualr security updates

For Windows all you need is Windows defender and regular updates

Avast and all the other Vrus protection scams are garbage and you are fooling yourself by using them. They create more vulnerabilities and by the time they "Find something" its to late. Also these programs start hogging your CPu resources.

All garbage

Posts: 395 | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
none. nada. zilch.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gentleman that turned me on to Macs 10 years ago just looked at me funny, in that way only a good friend can without asking about your intelligence when I asked about antivirus, spyware, etc.

I just smiled and have been smiling ever since.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post