Notify
Tools

Flowmax Login/Join 
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing for sure, don't let them use the "Roto-Rooter" procedure on your prostate. It will never heal and things will only get worst.

What??? That's BS!

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by LH2:
Has anyone here gotten relief from BPH with herbal, over the counter stuff like pygeum, saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, etc?

Caffeine was a big contributor to my prostate symptoms. Major. If you have prostate issues of any kind, cut out the caffeine and chocolate before taking drugs.

Eliminating Chocolate is no problem for me but having no Coffee in the morning? How do I get the "motor going"?

I have managed to learn to get by without it, but not really happily.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
One thing for sure, don't let them use the "Roto-Rooter" procedure on your prostate. It will never heal and things will only get worst.

What??? That's BS!

It does not solve the problem and the prostate continues to enlarge. That is an old procedure that had no lasting results. I know two people that had that procedure and one had infection problems of the bladder.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Oh my, this is a timely topic for me.

My prostate has been enlarged for a few years now (I just turned 56). I've been under the care of a Urologist since that time. My father had prostate cancer so I am visiting the Urologist every 6 months. My PSA is fairly stable at 1.7. The enlarged prostate started really making it harder to urinate, but I put off taking anything for it. Then, last November, I developed prostatitis, and became septic. I was in the hospital for 6 days. As part of the treatment, I was put on Flomax and have been on it since then.

The Flomax has made a marked improvement in urination, but has KILLED my sex life. Erections are no problem, but I am unable to have the big "O" at the end. In fact, I haven't been able to have one since the prostatitis. I tried ceasing the Flomax for two whole days, but this did not help - but it did worsen urination. I've been back on it, hoping my body would adapt to the medication, but sex is no better. I've been told it takes quite awhile for Flomax to get completely out of the body. I have an appointment with my urologist Friday, and will definitely tell him this is an issue that must be addressed. At 56 I am just not ready to give up my sex life.

Bulldog7972, I am wondering if my problem is similar to what you experienced. I (and the wife) are very frustrated.

Tell your doctor you want to try Uroxatral. I seem to remember having some problems with the big O sometimes while I was on Flomax but I had gone so long with an enlarging prostate (mine started in my early 30s) before I found a doctor who would do more than tell me to "live with it" that I was almost impotent so the initial Flomax was so much better that I did not pay it much attention. When I got on Uroxatral all of that problem disappeared.

Another thing, I don't know what it is called but there is a procedure available where they can arrest the enlargement and in some cases shrink the prostate. The procedure involves the use of microwaves of some kind to heat the prostate for about a half hour. Then over the next few weeks it stops growing and in my case actually shrunk.

Whatever you do, don't stop looking and change doctors if you are not getting results.

On taking herbal supplements, I do to supplement my medication and get some relief but not enough to replace the medication. My urologist who recommended Saw Palmetto to me stated that about half of those he treated got results and half did not so you will have to try them, at least they will not hurt. One thing I found was the natural berry supplements worked while the Extract supplements did not.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
OOPS. I thought this was a thread about performance mufflers.

...backs out slowly...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
swani (the OP),

I would suggest just taking the Flomax generic as prescribed. If you encounter highly undesirable / intolerable, side effects, I would then suggest request to try newer, similar medication(s). Also, any highly undesirable side effects from Flowmax will be temporary, not permanent.

The main problem with my suggestion is some patented medication not covered by your insurance company / Medicare / Medicaid might be prescribed which might require prior authorization or private pay. I don't have any specific BPH medication recommendations as I do not have an enlarged prostate (yet at least). Flowmax was just one of several medications that urologists experimented with on me.

Just hope and/or pray that you are not compelled to start a topic titled "Cystoscopy recommended by urologist - what should I expect?"

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Have been taking Finasteride for several years. It lowered my PSA and I pee pretty good. I tried the heat treatment with no success.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
So, what is a reasonably cheap and effective saw palmetto supplement or delivery vehicle for me to start taking and avoid all this stuff as I age (currently 52, with little to no prostate related issues...) ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
So, what is a reasonably cheap and effective saw palmetto supplement...

I simply went to Amazon, searched on "saw palmetto," clicked "by average rating," read about the top four or five, did some non-Amazon web searching on the makers, and chose.

From what I read: Different forumulations worked better or worse for different guys.

quote:
... or delivery vehicle for me to start taking and avoid all this stuff as I age (currently 52, with little to no prostate related issues...) ?

I would be disinclined to take a supplement, herbal or otherwise, unless I knew I needed it. "Natural" does not necessarily mean "good for you."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Saw Palmetto helped me.

Took a while, so give it a couple months before giving up.

It kicked in all at once it seemed. I was at work at a urinal one day and noticed I was peeing a stream like a horse! I was almost like HAY YA'LL look at this!!! LOL!

I had gotten away from it because of a esophagus stricture and trouble swallowing the pills and an unproven suspected side affect of impotence. I just ordered some more to get back on it, after overhearing my wife tell a friend that I pee more often than a pregnant woman!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, what is a reasonably cheap and effective saw palmetto supplement or delivery vehicle for me to start taking and avoid all this stuff as I age (currently 52, with little to no prostate related issues...) ?

The Life Extension Foundation is a non profit organization of MD's that review research and have pharmaceutical grade nutritional supplements for its members. It cost $50 a year for membership but you get $50 credit towards their products and their monthly magazine which is priceless.

The biggest value is their blood test which is important for long life and should be taken yearly. They use Lab Corp and you can get a full blood test for $299 when on sale. Many years ago I asked the receptionist what the blood test would cost if I didn't have insurance and she figured over $1200.

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...one-Panel-Blood-Test

The test shows the range of each component and if your test shows you have problems, you can call LEF and a doctor will review your blood test and offer suggestions.

http://www.lifeextension.com/p...Hormone_Panel_v2.pdf

This is the supplement I take at half dose since I do not have any prostate problems:

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...tra-Natural-Prostate

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
OOPS. I thought this was a thread about performance mufflers.

Thats's flowmaster. Close.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the Urologist.

My PSA is up one full point (from 0.7 to 1.7) over a two-year period. But, at this point we can't tell whether this might be because of the severe bout of prostatitis I had back in November. He performed a DRE and there was an inflamed spot on my prostate, but with repeated pushing determined it was not a nodule, it was soft - just an inflamed spot. So, we're going to repeat the PSA test in June.

Meanwhile, regarding Flowmax side effects: I told him my symptoms - no big "o" during sex - he said Flomax is known to potentially cause retrograde ejaculation. I told him I was sure I was NOT experiencing that, but instead, no big "o" at ALL. He said it's quite possible Flomax is causing this, so he has called in a different medication. I don't know what it is yet as he called it in directly to the pharmacy.

He also told me that the half-life of Flow-Max is one day, but it takes a week to get it all out of your system, so discontinuing it for just 1-2 days isn't enough.

So - I'm going to try this new medication and see what happens.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Btanchors,
Would you please report back and let us know what the new med is and the results after being on it . Thanks

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably Alfuzosin. Alpha blocker with lower incidence of retrograde ejaculation. My best guess.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think that is what it is. I still don't have the prescription yet, but will report back to confirm.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Google Retrograde Ejaculation <snip>.

Not fun. Frown

FYI - In Tantric Yoga, the above condition is considered a higher state of sexual consciousness - kind of closer to Nirvana. This is an actual goal in Tantric teachings. They practice holding off, then retrograde in the final "moments" ... jeepers - freakydeeky brah

Frankly, I don't believe it - however YMMV ... LOL

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
It was prescribed to me in a hospital due to a kidney stone, but after taking it I felt no effect of any type so I stopped. Didn't think I needed it to begin with.

I was prescribed Flomax for a stone as well,

I had no side effects, but my urine flow was greatly increased

and was told by my Uro to drink good beer,

so after a few good ales I felt like I could carve granite with my flow,,,

stopped it after the stone passed

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update - OK, I picked up the prescription - it is Alfuzosin, which is a generic for Uroxatral.

It's going to take a week to ten days to tell the effects (and side-effects) of this medication, but I will try to update this thread with my experience.

posted Hide Post
Please do. I'm VERY interested.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post