Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flowmax Login/Join 
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Saw palmetto has been on my daily dose routine for a while. Works well for me and only have to get up once a night since I started taking it.

My Doc put me on Flomax and I took it for awhile but stopped and started using the herbal stuff.

Good luck in finding a good solution for your issues. As we age we all start getting these irritating things that make life troublesome.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I took it briefly, twice, two years apart, while having kidney stone issues.

The first time there were no discernible side effects.

The second time there were, and they were unpleasant.

I won't be taking it again.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Interesting. The most noteworthy side effects I have had from Flomax are fatigue and drowsiness. I am out like a light about an hour after taking it, and sleep so soundly a locomotive could run through my room and not awaken me. Flomax, and changes in my diet, have had the effect of letting me get up once or twice a night, instead of every hour and a half. It also lowered my blood pressure.

What changes in your diet, if I may ask?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
Flomax works by relaxing the muscles around the prostate and bladder so you can urinate more easily/less frequently. It and other drugs like it, called alpha-blockers, are the first line treatment when you have urinary issues from an enlarged prostate.

Expounding, human males have two urethral sphincters. Alpha-1 blockers such as tamsulosin (generic for off patent Flomax) relax the internal urethral sphincter between the bladder and prostate. The internal urethral sphincter is composed of smooth muscle; however, the external urethral sphincter which controls urine flow from the prostate to the male urethra is composed of skeletal muscle tissue which would respond to a skeletal muscle relaxant, but not an alpha-1 blocker.

quote:
I can't recall any side effects from Uroxatral, and my dad takes Flomax with no complaints.

There is a well known side effect of Alpha-1 blockers termed "retrograde ejaculation." Prescribed off-label, Flomax might even serve as a form of birth control. Uroxatral may decrease the chance of retrograde ejaculation and other side effects.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:

Expounding, human males have two urethral sphincters. Alpha-1 blockers such as tamsulosin (generic for off patent Flomax) relax the internal urethral sphincter between the bladder and prostate. The internal urethral sphincter is composed of smooth muscle; however, the external urethral sphincter which controls urine flow from the prostate to the male urethra is composed of skeletal muscle tissue which would respond to a skeletal muscle relaxant, but not an alpha-1 blocker.

I knew that first bit about alpha-blockers, but the second part about skeletal muscle tissue in the urinary tract is new to me. Gives me something interesting to discuss with my urologist next appointment. He prescribed Flexeril as an add-on to Uroxatral sometime last year to improve flow, presumably with that in mind, but I had no real noticeable improvement compared to Uroxatral alone. Maybe a different muscle-relaxant or a benzo with muscle relaxant properties like Valium? Just thinking out loud as a frustrated chronic prostatitis patient (a bit different issue than the very common problem the OP has).

quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
I can't recall any side effects from Uroxatral, and my dad takes Flomax with no complaints.

There is a well known side effect of Alpha-1 blockers termed "retrograde ejaculation." Prescribed off-label, Flomax might even serve as a form of birth control. Uroxatral may decrease the chance of retrograde ejaculation and other side effects.

Thankfully no issues with that for me with Uroxatral, and dad and I sure wouldn't be talking about it if he has that problem with Flomax. Eek

Your mention of sphincters reminds me of another Flomax complication worth mentioning. If you're having cataract surgery, make sure your surgeon knows you are on an alpha-blocker, Flomax being the one of most concern. Alpha-blockers are generally supposed to work on the urinary sphincter, but they can also affect the iris, which many people don't realize is a sphincter. This can make cataract surgery more difficult, although this risk can be managed with the right technique according to my dad's eye surgeon.
Further reading about alpha-blockers and cataract surgery here.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Interesting. The most noteworthy side effects I have had from Flomax are fatigue and drowsiness. I am out like a light about an hour after taking it, and sleep so soundly a locomotive could run through my room and not awaken me. Flomax, and changes in my diet, have had the effect of letting me get up once or twice a night, instead of every hour and a half. It also lowered my blood pressure.

What changes in your diet, if I may ask?

Eliminated spicy foods and caffeine from my diet. I also make myself drink water periodically throughout the day, whether I feel thirsty or not.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little background on my situation I have had an enlarged prostate since I was 40, blame it on agent orange. Not really bothersome until lately now that I'm 67. Prostate measures 8 cm or what ever the correct term is and psa is 8.9 No signs of cancer after several different tests Realizing my ureatha is being squeezed making for a weak stream and constant bathroom trips I decided to do something. Urologist said flomax would be a good starting point. Always other options if this doesn't help.

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I hope it works well for you.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
Flomax works by relaxing the muscles around the prostate and bladder so you can urinate more easily/less frequently. It and other drugs like it, called alpha-blockers, are the first line treatment when you have urinary issues from an enlarged prostate.

quote:

Not sure what all the means but Flomax has definately made sex much less enjoyable for me. To the point where I stop taking it. Not sex, Flomax.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:

I knew that first bit about alpha-blockers, but the second part about skeletal muscle tissue in the urinary tract is new to me. Gives me something interesting to discuss with my urologist next appointment. He prescribed Flexeril as an add-on to Uroxatral sometime last year to improve flow, presumably with that in mind, but I had no real noticeable improvement compared to Uroxatral alone. Maybe a different muscle-relaxant or a benzo with muscle relaxant properties like Valium? Just thinking out loud as a frustrated chronic prostatitis patient (a bit different issue than the very common problem the OP has).

Your urologist at least seems to be knowledgeable and trying to be helpful. Valium is used a skeletal muscle relaxant in at least in the U.K., but less so in the U.S.A. Soma and baclofen would be other options for a skeletal muscle relaxant, but if the diagnosis of chronic prostatitis is accurate, they will not be helpful either.

quote:

Thankfully no issues with that for me with Uroxatral, and dad and I sure wouldn't be talking about it if he has that problem with Flomax. Eek

I will not go into details (perhaps even if requested), but Flomax can definitely cause retrograde ejaculation in some patients. A Google search reveals that I am not unique in imagining Flomax as a birth control medication.

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Not sure what all the means but Flomax has definately made sex much less enjoyable for me. To the point where I stop taking it. Not sex, Flomax.

Smooth muscle is controlled unconsciously such as in guts. Skeletal muscle is controlled consciously, as in trigger finger. Smile

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LH2:
Has anyone here gotten relief from BPH with herbal, over the counter stuff like pygeum, saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, etc?

Caffeine was a big contributor to my prostate symptoms. Major. If you have prostate issues of any kind, cut out the caffeine and chocolate before taking drugs.

Posts: 9399 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone here gotten relief from BPH with herbal, over the counter stuff like pygeum, saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, etc?

Saw Palmetto
January 2007

As men grow older, many experience declining prostate health that significantly affects their lifestyle and well-being. One of the most common conditions threatening the prostate gland is benign prostatic hypertrophy. This swelling of the prostate gland can lead to myriad symptoms such as increased urinary frequency, weak urinary stream, and difficulty initiating urination.

For more than a century, saw palmetto (Sabal serrulata) has been recognized for its ability to relieve swelling of the prostate gland. In fact, saw palmetto is one of the most popular plant-derived remedies for benign prostatic hypertrophy. Doctors in Germany, Austria, and Italy use saw palmetto, along with other plant extracts like pygeum and nettle root, as a first-line treatment for enlargement of the prostate gland.1

By helping to prevent the conversion of testosterone to its potent metabolite dihydrotestosterone (DHT),2-6 saw palmetto may have important implications for preventing hormone-related cancers in men, such as prostate cancer. Saw palmetto’s ability to modulate hormonal balance also makes it a promising candidate for preventing and treating hair loss, with initial studies demonstrating positive effects.7
Benefits for Prostate Health

Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) is a common condition that becomes increasingly prevalent in aging men. BPH affects 8% of all men at the age of 40, 60% of men in their seventies, and 90% of men in their eighties.8 One fourth of these men will develop moderate-to-severe lower urinary tract symptoms that will greatly affect their quality of life.8

Continued here:

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...e/2007/1/aas/Page-01

New Studies Reveal Importance of Zinc In Maintaining Prostate Health
May 2015

By Stephen Ramirez

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among men.1

Researchers have uncovered data revealing that the trace mineral zinc plays an active role in maintaining prostate health. In fact, prostate cells accumulate more zinc than do cells in any other human tissue.2-5 Studies reveal that the presence of zinc in the body helps suppress tumor growth, especially in the prostate.6,7

Zinc is a trace metal that is proving vital for a number of human biological processes. All cells have a requirement for zinc at some level.3,4 An ongoing debate has raged for years over whether populations who consume more zinc are protected against prostate cancer, in part, due to the fact that blood levels of zinc may not accurately reflect the levels of zinc in prostate tissue.8,9

However, a number of studies demonstrate specific mechanisms by which zinc acts as a tumor suppressor, altering the biology of prostate cells to make them less likely to undergo malignant transformation, and less able to multiply and survive as cancer cells.6,7

In this article, you will learn the importance of maintaining optimal levels of zinc, an inexpensive supplement that supports a healthy prostate.

Low Zinc Levels In Prostate Cancer Cells

Continued here:

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...state-Health/Page-01

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Last general physical, my doc informed me my prostate was mildly enlarged. Really, doc? I had no idea </sarcasm>

The effects are beginning to piss me off. I'm going to give saw palmetto a go.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my, this is a timely topic for me.

My prostate has been enlarged for a few years now (I just turned 56). I've been under the care of a Urologist since that time. My father had prostate cancer so I am visiting the Urologist every 6 months. My PSA is fairly stable at 1.7. The enlarged prostate started really making it harder to urinate, but I put off taking anything for it. Then, last November, I developed prostatitis, and became septic. I was in the hospital for 6 days. As part of the treatment, I was put on Flomax and have been on it since then.

The Flomax has made a marked improvement in urination, but has KILLED my sex life. Erections are no problem, but I am unable to have the big "O" at the end. In fact, I haven't been able to have one since the prostatitis. I tried ceasing the Flomax for two whole days, but this did not help - but it did worsen urination. I've been back on it, hoping my body would adapt to the medication, but sex is no better. I've been told it takes quite awhile for Flomax to get completely out of the body. I have an appointment with my urologist Friday, and will definitely tell him this is an issue that must be addressed. At 56 I am just not ready to give up my sex life.

Bulldog7972, I am wondering if my problem is similar to what you experienced. I (and the wife) are very frustrated.

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Last general physical, my doc informed me my prostate was mildly enlarged. Really, doc? I had no idea </sarcasm>

The effects are beginning to piss me off. I'm going to give saw palmetto a go.

Zinc and selenium are the two most important minerals for a male and also important for getting women pregnant. Just do a search on LEF.ORG for additional information.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
One thing for sure, don't let them use the "Roto-Rooter" procedure on your prostate. It will never heal and things will only get worst.

http://austinurologyinstitute.com/procedures/turp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBiSbEkj-jY

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:

Caffeine was a big contributor to my prostate symptoms. Major. If you have prostate issues of any kind, cut out the caffeine and chocolate before taking drugs.

Eliminating Chocolate is no problem for me but having no Coffee in the morning? How do I get the "motor going"?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Oh my, this is a timely topic for me.

My prostate has been enlarged for a few years now (I just turned 56). I've been under the care of a Urologist since that time. My father had prostate cancer so I am visiting the Urologist every 6 months. My PSA is fairly stable at 1.7. The enlarged prostate started really making it harder to urinate, but I put off taking anything for it. Then, last November, I developed prostatitis, and became septic. I was in the hospital for 6 days. As part of the treatment, I was put on Flomax and have been on it since then.

The Flomax has made a marked improvement in urination, but has KILLED my sex life. Erections are no problem, but I am unable to have the big "O" at the end. In fact, I haven't been able to have one since the prostatitis. I tried ceasing the Flomax for two whole days, but this did not help - but it did worsen urination. I've been back on it, hoping my body would adapt to the medication, but sex is no better. I've been told it takes quite awhile for Flomax to get completely out of the body. I have an appointment with my urologist Friday, and will definitely tell him this is an issue that must be addressed. At 56 I am just not ready to give up my sex life.

Bulldog7972, I am wondering if my problem is similar to what you experienced. I (and the wife) are very frustrated.

Yes, that is exactly my problem. It's almost gotten to the point of "why bother".

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Google Retrograde Ejaculation and flowmax.

Not fun. Frown

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post