Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flowmax Login/Join 
posted
Anyone taking this stuff for an enlarged prostate? Urologist wrote me a script, looks like a lot of side affects. I know meds affect people differently just looking for first hand experience.. thanks

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
I took it for a year. In my case it was not effective but there were no side effects. I know several friends that take it with no side effects.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Took it and couldn't sleep. Now I take Finasterid.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have bever taken it.

However, my buddy is one of the people that got the really really really disgusting side effect of anal leakage. It lasted several days after stopping Flomax. Needless to say, he would rather pee frequently than have no control of his anal sphincter.

I wish I had recorded his telling of the story as it was so funny that my abs hurt from laughing.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
This is the standard with some additional ingredients:

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...tra-Natural-Prostate

I use a half dose even though I have no problems.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swani:
Anyone taking this stuff for an enlarged prostate? Urologist wrote me a script, looks like a lot of side affects. I know meds affect people differently just looking for first hand experience.. thanks

I tried it a couple years ago. I am HIGHLY allergic to it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Flomax works by relaxing the muscles around the prostate and bladder so you can urinate more easily/less frequently. It and other drugs like it, called alpha-blockers, are the first line treatment when you have urinary issues from an enlarged prostate. I take Uroxatral, which is an also an alpha-blocker (although my problem isn't the traditional prostate enlargement from aging). I really notice a difference if I accidentally miss a dose. You may try one of these different alpha-blockers if Flomax doesn't help you, but my doctor said they're pretty much all equivalent with minor dosing differences.

I can't recall any side effects from Uroxatral, and my dad takes Flomax with no complaints. Just take it as directed, be sure it doesn't make you woozy when you stand up since alpha-blockers can lower blood pressure, usually not enough to matter though.

Alpha-blockers don't actually shrink the prostate, so you may have to try something like the finasteride (propecia) mentioned above, which blocks the male sex hormones causing your prostate to grow. This is a drug that does have more worrisome side effects, IMO, but lots of men find that nothing works better once you need it that badly.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take it. It works, no side effects except extreme virility. Ok, I had that before Big Grin.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Back when I had a prostate, I took Doxazosin (Cardura is the name brand version).
An old drug, cheap with minimal side effects and seemed to help.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have been taking Flowmax (tamsulosin) for years with no side effects of any significance. Don't be afraid to at least try it.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys, took first dose today hope it works

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swani:
Thanks for the replys, took first dose today hope it works

Any improvement will not be instantaneous, so give it some time.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I think I'd have to weigh my current issues to decide, and I suspect you aren't there or you wouldn't be asking.

I had one, and only one, bout with apparently serious inflammation a couple years ago. You know those times when you hear randy/reckless/promiscuous folks talk about pissing razors and laugh to yourself thank GOD that will never be me? Well, you underestimate the issues my friend. I would have taken the week of pills if they were called cancerinabottleagin. Fortunately for me, it was isolated and hasn't recurred.

Fortunately for you, doesn't sound like that's quite your story or you'd not be typing. Did you ask about any alternative treatments or strategies to deal with the level of issues you have?

And to the under 40 crowd reading this and wincing, don't you laugh.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I took it when I was passing a kidney stone. I stopped because I couldn't sleep either, as another poster said. But then my stone moved slower so I started taking it again until it was passed. I understand that it takes awhile to get past the sleep disturbance side-effect, but that it does pass.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried Flowmax for a few months. Couldn't handle the side effect: Flue like symptoms, dry mouth and constipation.

Flowmax may work for OP.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The most noteworthy side effects I have had from Flomax are fatigue and drowsiness. I am out like a light about an hour after taking it, and sleep so soundly a locomotive could run through my room and not awaken me. Flomax, and changes in my diet, have had the effect of letting me get up once or twice a night, instead of every hour and a half. It also lowered my blood pressure.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here gotten relief from BPH with herbal, over the counter stuff like pygeum, saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, etc?

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Back when I had a prostate

No flow problems with no prostrate to restrict the flow. Smile

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
It was prescribed to me in a hospital due to a kidney stone, but after taking it I felt no effect of any type so I stopped. Didn't think I needed it to begin with.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Was on it for 5-6 years before switching to Uroxatral which I have taken for the last 17+ years. No serious problems.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post