SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with propane heater ducting please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with propane heater ducting please Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
So I've got my heater all hooked up (propane, electric, and thermostat), but I need a little assistance with the venting.

I purchased a flexible extendable piece to go from the heater vent, through the thimble, and be capped. Problem is, when I put the piping through the thimble, it is not a tight fit and there is a gap there. Can I just wrap a few turns of duct tape around it to snug things up, or do they make something special for that purpose?

I'm concerned about the gap as I have a yuge wasp issue here and the little bastards have a knack for finding anywhere and everywhere to enter.

Thimble.

End of flex pipe with cap.

Pipe through thimble showing the gap.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Is that single wall where it goes through the thimble?

If so, I think I'd use some ceramic muffler wrap to fill the gap. Probably not a bad idea in any case.

Available from Amazon. Used in Motorcycle/ATV muffers to wrap the baffle.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's a thick double walled hunk on the end there.

Hadn't thought of muffler tape. Good idea.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.duckbrand.com/produ...ilver-188-in-x-50-yd

This is what you are looking for, or close to it.
Your local Ace or Home Depot will have it.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, red/black Hi-Temp RTV sealant, NO duct tape. You can purchase a caulk tube size for about the same cost as a small tube. Easiest place for you to locate it, will likely be Napa.

Now a question for you... is the pipe running through metal siding ONLY or is there going to be wood in its proximity?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
To answer your question, red/black Hi-Temp RTV sealant

That looks like a gasket making product. Perhaps a dumb question, but how would I apply this in my case? Just smear a large amount around the whole circumference of the pipe?

quote:
Now a question for you... is the pipe running through metal siding ONLY or is there going to be wood in its proximity?

Right now it will be going through a gable end wall of just metal siding and foil insulation. As soon as I can get the place heated up I'll finish up the walls by putting in insulation and OSB. So, yes, eventually it will be in proximity to combustibles.

posted Hide Post
Yes, its like silicone. Just fill in the gap with a bead and make it look nice with your finger. If you wet your finger the silicone wont stick to your finger.

Since you're finishing the wall, I'd like to see a short piece of B-vent (double wall pipe) ran through the thimble. Then use the adapter you have in the photo above, to go from the pipe to the double wall flex pipe.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... Kind of confused.

Are you saying flex inside a double wall segment and both of those inside the thimble?

Being just a vent pipe I wouldn't think that it would get that hot.

posted Hide Post
Thimble through wall.
Piece of pipe running through it.
Cap on outside.
Pipe to flex inside to heater.

Think of the pipe in the thimble as a coupler between the cap and pipe/flex (that you have pictured above).
Cap to pipe, pipe to flex.

This way there's no hidden connection with-in the thimble. And the pipe will give a little more protection against heat migration. Since the air gap between the inner and out pipe is greater then the double wall aluminum tubing.

The temps inside the pipe is going to be 350+

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
OK, I think I've got it now. Thanks Excam.