SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    And the State with the Worst Roads is....Indiana
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And the State with the Worst Roads is....Indiana Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
However, that little stretch of I-94/80/90 in Indiana is miserable.

This. Anyplace that allows 13 axles under a 75ft truck and then sends it down the road with 165,000 lbs of steel is going to have a rough road.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
We went to NJ to visit our kid. Coming home we drove through NJ, PA, Ohio. We did not need a sign to tell us we were back in Michigan. The road got much worse as soon as we entered Mi. Plus as yoppersig said we get to pay BIG TIME taxes and insurance for the joy of driving these roads. I love this state, but the roads SUCK!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Hoosiers are definitely the worst DRIVERS... haven't been on their roads in a while though.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Good thing that you didn't come to Pennsylvania. We have horrible roads right now.

I was going to vote for Pennsylvania. Years ago, I used to drive from Virginia to visit relatives outside of Philly. At one point, you got off 95 onto a two lane road in Maryland. It was a well-paved, scenic little road. Before long, you reached a sign reading "Welcome to Pennsylvania". As soon as you passed the sign, it was like entering the Twilight Zone. Sounds like things haven't changed much.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
I-65 is an embarrassment...and dangerous...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
I see a shit ton of semi's with IN plates in So CA and always wondered why...

The reason for the IN plates being seen all over the US is that the IRP group in IN is known to be good to deal with when needing apportioned plates for your fleet that are good in the lower 48 states. We use them where I work, UPS does, etc.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
You should have come slightly North to Michigan. Our roads are atrocious, especially after this winter which was rife with several freeze/thaw cycles.

Seconded !

It would take a huge effort just to struggle up to the high level of 3rd world standards.

Our roads tear the suspensions off cars.

werd.

A correction, Michigan roads tear the suspension off a semi tractor. BTW that is the god's honest truth, saw a semi tractor that hit a "pothole" that tore the right front of the front axle from the frame. I've also heard of trailers having a rear wheel sets torn loose.

Note, these bomb craters in Michigan are created by the super heavy weight limits in Michigan. In every other state in the nation the Federal Maximum weight is 90,000 lbs. Michigan gets an Exemption from the Feds and the result is a maximum weight limit of 154,000 lbs.. On a roadbed specification developed during the Eisenhower Administration when the proposed maximum for the new Interstates was 54,000 lbs. Guess what happens when you have trucks 100,000 lbs. over the original design limit driving on a foundation designed for just 54,000 lbs. What happens is Slab Rock that beats up the slab joints and in time that leads to the Bomb Craters typical in Michigan. As for how bad it can be, typically a newly paved section of a highway will need serious repair requiring lane closures in just 5 years and in 10 years that entire section of pavement will need replacement.

Yeah, I am really pissed off to see my tax dollars poured down a money pit due to laws that only benefit a small portion of the transportation network. As for those reading this who don't live in Michigan just remember that a portion of your Federal Taxes are poured into this same money pit due to that Federal Exemption. So, please, call your congresspersons and request that Federal Highway Funds be denied to Michigan until they roll back the maximum weight limit to match the Federal limit.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5645 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Pretty much sums up the potholes in Michigan:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post