SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    And the State with the Worst Roads is....Indiana
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And the State with the Worst Roads is....Indiana Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
On our little road trip over the winter, we have driven through Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virignia, Tennessee, Kansas, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana.

In Indiana, I-70 and I-65 are just dangerous

Wow, we saw more folks with flats today then we have seen on the rest of the 5,000 mile trip. We hit a couple of potholes that were unbelievable.

I guess if I lived there I’d have 10 plys on my Mazda3.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would be completely satisfied with dirt and gravel. My rigs would handle it just fine.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last spring we took a road trip to Arizona, Vegas, and Utah. By far, the worst highway was I-70 through the Colorado Rockies.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
On our little road trip over the winter, we have driven through Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virignia, Tennessee, Kansas, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana.

In Indiana, I-70 and I-65 are just dangerous

Wow, we saw more folks with flats today then we have seen on the rest of the 5,000 mile trip. We hit a couple of potholes that were unbelievable.

I guess if I lived there I’d have 10 plys on my Mazda3.

Mike

No Kentucky? Well, Kentucky has some bad roads. Heck downtown Louisville is like driving in Mogadishu or Beirut.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should have come slightly North to Michigan. Our roads are atrocious, especially after this winter which was rife with several freeze/thaw cycles.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Whoops I forgot Kentucky. We drove the west side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
You should have come slightly North to Michigan. Our roads are atrocious, especially after this winter which was rife with several freeze/thaw cycles.

Seconded !

It would take a huge effort just to struggle up to the high level of 3rd world standards.

Our roads tear the suspensions off cars.

werd.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
On the bright side Indianapolis had a pothole blitz! What a fucking joke.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I thought South Carolina would be tough to beat

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Indiana has nothing on Michigan.

Michigan has the worst roads no question. There are roads you have to slow down to 20mph and almost slalom through the pot holes.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm a Purdue alumni, and most of Indiana's highways were better than its neighbors (especially Michigan).

However, that little stretch of I-94/80/90 in Indiana is miserable. It's always under construction, they made the center median a low point, and then they took away the median which put the driving lane into the lowpoint which causes hydroplaning and icing over.

Somebody at Indiana DOT deserves to get beat with a bag of doorknobs over that design.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:

No Kentucky? Well, Kentucky has some bad roads. Heck downtown Louisville is like driving in Mogadishu or Beirut.

ARman

Western Kentucky has the worst roads I've driven by far.

That said, Indiana has more semis than anywhere I've been, all going to Indianapolis I'd guess. Indy is a huge trucking hub, the state's roads take a constant beating.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I see a shit ton of semi's with IN plates in So CA and always wondered why...

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Good thing that you didn't come to Pennsylvania. We have horrible roads right now.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We drove out to St Louis from Maryland on I-70 a month ago.

I have absolutely no argument against your contention that Indiana has the worst roads.

We took the bypass around Indianapolis on the way out, but made a huge mistake and went through the city on the way back. Hands down, that was the absolute worst piece of road we hit. One bump, I swear we lost the trailer. I think the next bump reseated it...

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Good thing that you didn't come to Pennsylvania. We have horrible roads right now.

I don't know what roads mcrimm was on in WV, maybe an interstate or some roads in southern WV but here in northern WV the roads in whole are the worst I've been on.... anywhere! I go to PA and MD just to ride on decent roads.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Indianapolis and the roads are worse this year then I've ever seen them after more than 16 years. Deep potholes in many places, even on newer roads and ones that were ground down and resurfaced recently. It's like chunks of the resurface layer are coming off.

The extended cold and freezing temperatures really screwed everything up. But it's not like that kind of weather shouldn't be taken into account in the design/construction of the roads - it's within the realm of normal weather variation.

I've had two tires ruined in the past month, and two alignments. Luckily no bent rims. First one was a sidewall bulge, and the replaced tire got a deep cut on a different pothole a few weeks later - this time it went flat almost immediately.

And my new Honda doesn't have a spare tire! Just a 12v inflator with tire sealant...

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only do Michigan roads suck, you pay outrageous plate and insurance fees. Insult to injury. Just this evening I took a ride on a county road that is only partially paved. The dirt potion of it was smoother and in better shape than the pavement.
And for a dangerous Interstate, cruise I-94 in the lower peninsula.
And I would guess that I-70, given the amount of traffic it carries, is now obsolete. Its not the 60s anymore!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crap, and I thought our roads were bad here. I guess the DOT must have done something right to keep our roads up.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I'm a Purdue alumni, and most of Indiana's highways were better than its neighbors (especially Michigan).

However, that little stretch of I-94/80/90 in Indiana is miserable. It's always under construction, they made the center median a low point, and then they took away the median which put the driving lane into the lowpoint which causes hydroplaning and icing over.

Somebody at Indiana DOT deserves to get beat with a bag of doorknobs over that design.

A road worker in that area has a job for life. They have been working on that road for probably 35-40 years now. It seems that everytime I drive it which is 2-3 times a year they are working on it at some location. It's a great way to get around the midwest. Until they shut it down for repairs. One time it was bumper to bumper E/B from the Illinois state line all the way to I80/90

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post