SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paging Appliance Brad - microwave issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging Appliance Brad - microwave issue Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I have a Whirlpool mh3184xpq-0 microwave/range fan which was made in 2004. Just recently the fan motor has started humming and when I removed the grate from the fan I noticed that the fan blades are spinning very slowly on their own. The fan runs as normal when I turn it on but when I shut it off it continues to hum and spin.

If I cut the power to it for awhile and then turn the power back on it wont do it for an hour or two but then it will start again.

I'm guessing it's more economical to replace the entire thing rather than repair it but I'm curious what might be wrong with it.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a control board problem. Bad capacitor or something in the control and is also not giving it full power to operate.

I would be afraid of an electric fire and would just buy a new one.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting a good model #. With that, I was able to look at the wiring diagram. If appears that you either have a failed triac or hood fan (HF) relay. Both are located on the electronic control. The control is W10233386 but No Longer Available.

For the present, you can simply unplug the blower motor. Ultimately, you are talking replacement.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post