SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plane nearly ran out of fuel after pilots forgot to bring up landing gear
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plane nearly ran out of fuel after pilots forgot to bring up landing gear Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Two pilots have been suspended from duty after their aircraft, carrying 99 passengers, nearly ran out of fuel because they forgot to retract the landing gear after take-off.

Air India Flight AI676 was en route to Mumbai from Kolkata on July 22 but was forced to divert to Nagpur when the crew became alarmed by the speed at which the aircraft was losing fuel thanks to the additional drag created by the extended wheels.

An unidentified source told the Times of India that the “brand new Airbus A320”, one of the most fuel efficient aircraft in existence, had struggled to climb after take-off, prompting the pilots to settle on an altitude of 24,000 feet as opposed to a usual cruising height of 35,000 feet. The source, who made a point of saying that both pilots were women, said it flew like this at 230 knots - as opposed to around 500 knots - for about an hour-and-a-half, while the extended landing gear dragged heavily on the aircraft.

At this point, 90 minutes into a two-and-a-half-hour flight, the crew requested permission to divert to Nagpur as their fuel would have run out before reaching Mumbai.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They are extremely lucky the gear didn't break.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
Yet another example of incompetent foreign airline pilots who think an airplane is just another video game and don't really know how to fly.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So.... 2 women pilots, have to remember to avoid those flights.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Women drivers.... Big Grin

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Did you ever hear the one about the two women pilots in the cockpit...?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hoo boy

Incompetence, compounded and squared

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
EVERY pilot does this ONCE.

But 99.9% of the time it is during their first few hours of flying a retractable gear aircraft.

We had a pilot do it in FA-18s, unfortunately when his wingman said "Your gear is still down", he immediately pushed the gear handle to UP. Which exceeded gear retraction speed... Nothing bad happened, but it required multiple gear inspections to confirm everything was ok.

MX was REALLY happy with him, especially since they were in Key West... all that liberty time lost to a stupid mistake... BUT the MX Officer made the pilot stay and help.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I would think landing gear retraction would be an automatic function. Why is it manual?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Hmm. I would think landing gear retraction would be an automatic function. Why is it manual?
Some planes have automatic flap retraction at a certain speed - but if the gear are raised when going too fast or with some AOB / G on the plane, it can damage the aircraft.

Maybe the wonderBus needs another aural caution - "The Landing Gear are STILL down, the Landing Gear are STILL down..."

Wink

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is why there are checklists.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Some planes have automatic flap retraction at a certain speed - but if the gear are raised when going too fast or with some AOB / G on the plane, it can damage the aircraft.

Maybe the wonderBus needs another aural caution - "The Landing Gear are STILL down, the Landing Gear are STILL down..."

Wink

Got it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing could possibly go wrong. Razz

On another note, they should have been using checklists.

I think entropy is an Airbus driver. He can probably tell us whether the checklists are on a display screen, and whether checklist items have to be acknowledged in order for them to be dismissed from the screen.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shouldn't it also remind you to slow down to a safe retraction speed?

"Retard. The landing gear is down". Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"OHNO! NUTGUDE! NUTGUDE!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Of course, when expected performance standards aren't being realized, you look around for why.

To let this go for 90 minutes without catching it is hard to imagine.

Things happen. If you are preparing to land, and you are having trouble getting to pattern speeds, maybe you need to look around and see why.

Same with take off. There are speeds and climb rates and power settings. If those aren't realized, there is a reason.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would think when you noticed the fuel/speed/altitude problems you might run through issues that could cause that.

See if you could rectify the situation.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Shouldn't it also remind you to slow down to a safe retraction speed?

"Retard. The landing gear is down". Wink

Or the every popular "You are SOOO stupid, just roll inverted and pull until ground impact". Big Grin

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Maybe 30 years ago, I had a check ride with an examiner to renew my multi-engine instructor certificate.

This particular examiner was a crusty retired PanAm captain. We spent a lot of time discussing the proper gear retraction procedure. His mandate was, absent any instructions to the contrary in the POH (Pilot's Operating Handbook) for the particular make / model of airplane, the generic time to retract landing gear after takeoff was "blue line plus ten."

Blue line is a blue marking on the airspeed indicator that shows the best rate of climb airspeed in the event of the critical engine failing immediately after takeoff, so The Captain wanted gear retraction to be initiated as soon as we were ten knots faster than blue line speed. This was typically a few seconds after becoming airborn.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
So Bitchin' Betty didn't mention it?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post