SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Check Consumer Reports. Last I remember, "Jeep" vehicles had terrible reliability ratings; lots of black circles. Your local library may have copies of CR.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I would never talk anyone out of a Wrangler. Funnest vehicle in the world.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your wife should get a bad-asser new 4Runner as well. As a 2016 F150 Screw owner (who would love a 4D wrangler in theory), I think the family trip is the deal breaker. Unless you'd take the trip in the 4Runner instead, which is a better option than the Jeep.

A 0-3" lift/level with better suspension and 33's is on my to-do list for the F150 at some point...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I would only suggest a Wrangler as an extra vehicle and play toy, not a daily driver, let alone a substitute for a perfectly good F150.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 4Runner is going to be the better truck. More reliable, better built, better equipped, drives better, etc. But I absolutely HATE the seating position in the 4R and Taco. Too low.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Great toy. Pretty much not up to par in consistent real life activities.

I have owned a Wrangler, convertible Corvette and Explorer all the same time. Even as a single guy, the Explorer got the usage, with the Vette as the party car. Jeep a distant 3rd. Gave it to my son.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
At least she talked to you about it. Mine went to "the grocery store" in her nearly new '14 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, and when I went out to close the garage door that night there was a brand new '16 Wrangler Unlimited Black Bear Edition - with a manual trans - in our garage! Apparently this Jeep was special ordered with lots of off-road stuff and the MT, but couldn't swing the financing once it arrived. The Jeep/Ram dealer had the POS Jeep on their lot for over a year, and when the wifey drove by it was parked with its nose in the air on a rock to attract attention. It was a straight trade - no cash either way.

I really dislike it, but she thinks its the shiz so I guess it's okay.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When my Dad returned from the WWII he got married and bought a Jeep, civilian model with a PTO shaft. Later he traded for another. Only after the 4th child did he buy a car! I can still remember riding to church in the back of that old Jeep. I was brought home from the hospital when born in one, and I dun told the wife and kids to just bury me in mine.

You either blindly love jeeps (like I do) or you hate them! Unless you both love and hate them at the same time LOL! I find a lot of people who diss them have never actually owned one.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: they are incapable of making a good auto transmission

They used to, not familiar with the newer ones at all.

My first was a 85, then bought new a Comanche long bed 4x4x4.0L. Yep an Automatic!
Love it, still have it 28 years later.

A little jeep auto trans story...
When I rebuilt the engine in my 89 I took the trans to the best transmission shop I could find for a rebuild. The owner asked what was wrong with it. I told him "nothing" it's just 25 years old and was completely untouched except for one fluid change to synthetic at 40k miles. So, while I was at it and had it out of the truck, I thought it would be a good idea to get it refreshed... I plan on keeping the truck.

He said "nope" what you have there is quite possibly " the best auto trans ever built, ever "! They are so tough they almost never break. He said I'd love to take your money, but I would advise you just put 'er back in and run it. I did. Roughly three years later it's still going strong. Just pulled a trailer with it today. I did change the fluid for the 2nd time.

But to be honest to stickman428, it's an Aisin built, not technically a Jeep or Chrysler. But it came new in a Jeep.

I see now I have too much spare time on my hands...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
My first brand new car was a Wrangler Rubicon with both the hard and the soft top. I don't own it anymore, and I miss it, so when the 18's and 19's are out, I'll probably put one in my garage.

The main reason I switched was because my commute to work, even though I only have to do it 3 days a month, is 150 miles round trip. Driving up and down the Jersey turnpike at 80mph, in the rain and gusting winds is no better than trying to sail a sailboat amongst the tractor trailers. Combine that with the Rubicon average mpg of 16, and the fact that I drove it like it was a sports car, and I was more than ready to switch.

What I do miss is the ability to go anywhere on the very snowiest of days, and the ability to haul a ton of anything. The JK is an outstanding vehicle if you don't care about gas mileage, high speed handeling, hard cornering, and 0-60 times of less than ten years, and while I can't wait to park another one in the garage next to my '16 Stingray, I wouldn't ever daily drive one again.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I had a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ for 13 years and drove it daily. Wranglers are much more civilized today and larger (sadly). The ride is pretty stiff and bouncey; they can be hard to get in/out of. Will this be your only vehicle or just yours, i.e. consider others? If it's your mid-life toy, I say go for it. I enjoyed mine despite all its faults. If you don't need the Rubicon, get a milder, less expensive version.

So...

How many belt loops did you tear?

I just picked up an '04 TJ for a weekend play toy. It will replace the '95 YJ with the 4 cyl, wonky 5 speed manual and 335k miles on it.

I'll always have at least one Jeep kicking around the place.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited, love it. From what you posted about your use, I'd say it would be perfect for you. I get around 17 MPG, we use the freeway to access off road and with the speed limit 80 it sucks fuel.

This my second Jeep and would not be without one. I don't commute but still put on 200 miles a week getting out.

The best part is accessorizing it to be "your" Jeep. Like an AR15, who keeps it stock?

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'd keep the SuperCrew over the Jeep all day, every day, without exception.

Granted, I wouldn't mind a 4Dr Rubicon as a play toy, but I'd never give up the F150 for it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first wrangler a basic sport 2000, went 235k with no major problems. I gave it to a friend who helped my family out immensely while I was deployed. He now has 300k+ on it with no issues and uses it daily and even as a plow truck in the brutal western New York winters. My current is also a basic 2009 now with 140+ also no big hiccups but seems
To be not quite as sturdy as the 2000, and I sense it won’t last quite like the 2000.
I recently got in a small low speed collision with it a few door scrapes that considering the age of the vehicle I won’t even bother fixing- hit by a Hyundai Sonata which has probably several thousand dollars damage.
Now that I live in a region that has no appreciable winter my next ride will probably not be another wrangler, but if I still lived in snow country it sure would be.
Also I don’t buy that consumer reports nonsense. For as long as I can remember they have pretty much listed every domestic brand vehicle as bad and every Japanese brand as good. I simply cannot believe it anymore considering I have owned a bunch of vehicles listed as good that had issues and plenty as bad that ran forever

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also use as a daily driver and do not find it at all uncomfortable. Took a friend to a shooting school once. 300 plus mile round trip. Here is a guy used to creature comforts owning jaguars for years who said the ride was much more comfortable than he expected over the road mileage 21-22 in town about 18

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My JK rides like a Rockinghorse and handles like a lawn tractor . what's not to like? No problem with 2000 mile road trips. My daily driver the last 7 years still makes me smile everyday. Jeep is not a car.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
My daily driver is a '15 2-door Wrangler Rubicon with 6-speed manual. It's been reliable, fun and easy to drive. If you want to drive a boring SUV that feels like you're driving a car, get a Lexus or some other vanilla SUV. The Wrangler has a unique driving personality, and you either like it or you don't.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I just bought my first new vehicle after emptying the nest. I have a take-home car and I just wanted something with a short turn radius and 4WD after driving F150's for the last 20 years. I planned on buying a base-level Sport until I saw a two door Trail Rated Rhino Wrangler Rubicon. Our other vehicle is an RT Durango, so I definitely notice the handling differences. Power? I don't feel under powered in town at all. It has plenty of zip for me.

My wife and I have been taking the dog and exploring local high clearance trails, taking pictures, picnicking and just enjoying each other's company.

I love this Jeep. I'll post some pics after I get another hosting site lined out.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
People who love Jeep Wranglers, absolutely love them despite their myriad faults. As mentioned, objectively, reliability/quality is the big bugaboo, and has been for a long, long time. It's a real shame because deciding to build them just a little better would bring a lot more people like me into the fold especially given there really is no direct competition in the US. Given their sales success, I'm still surprised no one wants to take them on.

Prices used are awful because they hold their value so well. Makes no sense to buy a late model used one when they sell for close to where you can buy a brand new one with a little shopping and negotiation. The flip side when you own one is, they hold their value incredibly well.

The rumor mill has been very active about changes for 2018 and beyond. A power soft top, 3 engine choices including a turbo and a diesel, a double cab pickup, and one the purists will absolutely hate, a Jeep with AWD. All this when what we really want is to build them just a little bit better.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
The flip side when you own one is, they hold their value incredibly well.

This is very true. I paid 38k for my 2014 JKU Rubicon, and traded it in for 34k with 20,000 miles two years later. I did get my rubi for an excellent price, and deals can be had on them. Wait until the last few days of the month, or in slow months like January and February, otherwise the dealer won’t budge on pricing because these damn things sell themselves.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Keep your F150 and look for a TJ with a 4.0 and a 5 speed!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post