SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Hard top fixes the noise issues.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I, too, have always wanted a Jeep I could take the top and doors off. Since we have a more reasonable vehicle for long trips (my wife's Chevy Equinox), it would be quite doable for my "fun vehicle."

There is one trip, sometimes two, we take each year that would require it, and that would make for 3-12 to 4 hours of unpleasant highway driving, compared to my Trailblazer.

And that's the thing: They have a relatively stiff, noisy ride, and crappy mileage. And they're expensive.

From talking to people that own and have owned Jeeps it boils down to this: You're either a Jeep person or you're not. Unfortunately, the only way to find out, it seems, is to actually own one for a bit.

If I could afford it, I'd go for it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just Empty Every Pocket Razz

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I wouldn't mind a jeep for a toy, but as a daily driver, I'd go out of my mind.

I own the exact Jeep the OP is looking at--a Wrangler Rubicon unlimited with 6-speed manual--and it is my wife's and my daily driver. We love it still.

We don't have much of a commute though. I don't commute at all by car for work and my wife only has to drive ten minutes. And at that it's only max four times a week, usually less.

Still, we drive the jeep a ton.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive a 91 yj as a daily driver. fixed it up and it's been pretty reliable for the last 5 or 6 years. I love my jeep but I would never own one of the fiat bastardizations of the wrangler. What makes the jeep a jeep is the simple and easy to work on straight six and a short wheelbase which makes it fun to drive and whip around corners in.
The 4 doors have less torque and to me feel like driving a Ford Explorer more than anything. If you're gonna get a jeep get a real jeep that's a 2006 or older and fix it up a bit and drive the hell out of it. And mine isn't too bad on gas at all, it's a 6 cylinder and I get about 230 miles roughly before I need to fill up, and I have mud tires on it

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
When my father in law first got his jeep, I went for a ride with him and told him about the whole "jeep wave" thing. However, I demonstrated it to be more in the style of a Hitler salute...got a funny message from him the next day after he was Hitler saluting other jeep drivers for a day or so.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee = Practical
Jeep Wrangler = Not Practical.

I would be willing to bet that your wife would much prefer the Grand Cherokee in the long run. The Wrangler toy might be fun at first but after the new and the novelty wears off, not so much. I don't know your wife but mine would be turned off by the manual transmission, rough ride, noise and poor gas mileage.

We are Jeep fans but my wife drives a Cherokee.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
Love my Jeeps.

noisy, sure it's "more quiet" with a hard top. It's still fucking noisy.

water leaks
fuel eco sucks
ride sucks.
factory seats suck.
speed sucks.

with that being said, if my current one goes tits up.

i'll buy another.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
For a DD the Rubi you mentioned would be fine. Long trips should be fine as well. Just depends on how much it already is (or will be) modified.

I frequently drive the wife's '95 YJ during the week to/fro work. Manual, no AC, and just a bikini top with 1/2 doors. Gas mileage is poor, comfort is poor, security is poor, weather protection is poor. 30 minutes in stop and go traffic and I'm tired. Otherwise it's everything I could want in a Jeep.

Rubicon's are pricey. Judging by your intended use, a X or Sahara, etc. would be fine.

For 10 years I ran a '02 Liberty (modified). That was a great vehicle on and off-road. Not sure I'd bother with the all IFS & electronic newer versions of the Cherokee/GC line.

If you venture down the Jeep path check out the AZVJC forum, or the EXPO forum. Good resources.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a 2013 4 door Rubicon new. Ordered exactly what we wanted after having a 2 door Sahara for several years. It has become a very pricey hobby now. Need new tires...might as well get bigger...now need a lift for bigger tires....now need a beefier tire carrier for the back...need bumpers to match....now wife cant get in need side steps....and on and on it goes.

Others have said the seats are bad, ride is rough, wife wouldnt like it, etc. I thought the ride was pretty good stock and got even better with the lift. We really like the stock cloth seats. Had the leather before and they were not the best. Wife loves the jeep. Trying to figure out how to get a second jeep and whether to wait for the new model.

All that said if you want cushy with all the newest gadgets and tech a Wrangler is probably not for you.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
2012 Wrangler Sport 2door here, purchased August 2012. Presently 68k on it.
3.21 axle ratio, 265/70/17 tires, automatic transmission.

No mpg complaints here. Yesterday back roads to Ann Arbor and back, another trip twelve miles last night. Average mpg shown was 19.8, that figure from what I have calculated in the past is pretty close to correct from the factory gauges. Some city driving, most open roads, 45-55 posted limits. Best I ever got on a trip was up north on I-75, averaged 22.2 mpg at 70-80 with the A/C on.

Chrysler quality is no worse than GM in my opinion. 47 years as a GM dealership parts counterman.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Everyone that I know personally who has owned a Jeep has regretted it eventually. One friend that loves working on cars got rid of his because that's all he did was work on it. It was a 2008 and the dealer kept claiming they couldn't find anything wrong with it while it was under warranty. Something was always leaking or failing. He got an extended cab Tacoma and has been quite pleased with it.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Are you asking us to talk you into/out of the Wrangler or the GC?

Two entirely different questions, really.

-Rob

Wife's looking at the GC as a possible replacement for her 4Runner. I just happened to stumble across the Wrangler while helping her look. The Wrangler would be mine and she'll still have her 4Runner or whatever she decides to replace it with.

1. You NEVER...NEVER replace a 4Runner with a JGC. You replace with a new, more bad-asser 4Runner.

2. If you want to scratch the itch, scratch it. It's like wanting a Corvette convertible. Is it 100% practical? No, but if it moves you, buy it. Good news is, the resale is pretty strong on Jeep Wranglers so if you buy it right and don't dump a million dollars into it you could have your fun and get out of it later without getting too hurt financially.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
It ain't a Jeep, if it's not the old Jeep Cherokee.

Or Wrangler

I have put over 175000 miles on my 2009 Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, brakes, fluid changes,tires, plugs and wires,transfer case cable that it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Well, went and test drove one to answer my questions. It reminded me why I didn't buy one 5 years ago and why I despise car dealerships.

The good? It's a hell of a lot of fun to drive around town. It's an easy stick to drive and it had a lot stronger acceleration than I was expecting. Fun driving a smaller vehicle than my current pig.

The bad? Got it on the freeway and still wasn't convinced I was in 6th gear. It revs and it drones to maintain 70-75mph speeds. It bounces, it makes noise to the point where I have to ask myself, is it really a vehicle I'd enjoy driving in the morning after finishing an overnight 12 hour shift in the ER? My daughter's travel case for her bow barely fits diagonally across the cargo area in back. It doesn't leave much space and really wouldn't be practical for the 3 of us to travel to a tournament in.

The sales associate was nice and knowledgable. The sales manager was a completely different story. Rude, disrespectful, pushy, obnoxious, obtuse and slimy. You would've thought he may had gotten a clue when I told him I told him if they had any hope at all of my wife and I coming in to look at a Grand Cherokee next weekend that he would just stop talking.

Nope.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I'm debating doing what snidera mentioned - picking up a cheap old one for dinking around with.

A friend I lived with about 5 years ago bought a TJ. He loved it, but refused to buy a stick. I ended up buying a Mini with a 6-speed shortly after and regret nothing about that purchase. But now I live on dirt roads and my Mini doesn't really leave the driveway.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well there are two of the sob in my drive as we speak.
One I just bought three hours ago,I never had a car or truck or stationwagon I liked as well as the Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 engine.
4X4 cause I gets in hilly woods at the deer camp.
Small ,powerful and most comfortable.
Beats the hell out of that damn Lincoln,ltd fords [2] and a shit load of others.
I am an old fart,had many many cars and brands

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a 2 door Rubicon. Loved it till I started having to commute in it but the 4 door is much better mannered than the 2 door. The 2015+ have an excellent Alpine stereo. Mine sounded great, even with mud tires, 4.10 gears and the auto trans. That's like 3,000 RPM at 80. They sell stick on foam headliners that supposedly deaden sound quite well. Fuel economy was upper teens. I only had it two years and the radiator went bad and started leaking. Took the dealer two tries to find the cause. Local dealer here in NH is incompetent, which seems common for Chrysler dealers.

Despite the dealer being full of turds, I traded the Wrangler for a Grand Cherokee in March. Boring but comfortable and a bit more practical.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I'm not the best person to ask this question. While I vehemently dislike Dodge/Chrysler and feel they are incapable of making a good auto transmission I have a soft spot for the Jeep Wrangler....especially when they have a manual transmission. I myself want one badly.
Evidently they can't make a decent water pump, either.

I share your dislike of Chrysler products. I know too many people that have had problems with them.
Jeep always has a couple or three models on "The worst Cars" list every year.

In the early 70's, I drove a '59 Jeep with a canvas top. It was great driving around taking the doors and/or top off it.
I remember it had a really heavy clutch, but it was fun to drive.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Jeep, mostly Grand Cherokee Limited, since 1985. I have absolutely no regrets, other than feeling the six cylinder is under powered for pulling a boat.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post