SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So on the wife's latest car buying safari, the Jeep Grand Cherokee caught her interest again. Pursuing dealer's websites I came across a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with a 6 speed manual transmission.

Maybe it's a mid life crisis or maybe it's regret over buying an F-150 instead of a Jeep a while back. But it's got me thinking....

So tell me the good, the bad, the ugly, the fun and the pain in the ass of having a Jeep as an everyday vehicle.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It ain't a Jeep, if it's not the old Jeep Cherokee.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Gas guzzling Fiat marketed to off road wannabes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Curious - how would you use the car? Why this car vs whatever you consider as alternatives?

Is there just some image you associate w/ this Jeep? Or are there specific usages and features behind this interest?

Just curious because I went through a similar decision making process recently.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Trailhawk?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A JGC maybe, but I think I'd miss a lot of when I have in my F150, if I went to a Wrangler.

Plus, around Houston, it would never get used off road.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What year Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon?

The 2005/2006 Unlimited was a 2-door with an extension between the front seats and rear wheels.

The later Unlimited is a 4-door.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I had a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ for 13 years and drove it daily. Wranglers are much more civilized today and larger (sadly). The ride is pretty stiff and bouncey; they can be hard to get in/out of. Will this be your only vehicle or just yours, i.e. consider others? If it's your mid-life toy, I say go for it. I enjoyed mine despite all its faults. If you don't need the Rubicon, get a milder, less expensive version.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Expensive, shitty on gas, but lotsa fun.

My wife has a 4-door Sahara, I enjoy it. Despite being against it initially, I really like it, nothing beats driving it with the doors off.

Never been a pain in the ass at all.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
It would be my daily driver. It would also be the means to get off road into BLM land where we shoot, hunt and fish. It would also be the means going off road on the trails around Sedona that we tend to frequent. It would be my primary vehicle, the wife currently has her own.

I currently drive a 2015 F-150 Supercrew with the FX-4 package, leveled with 33" All Terrains on it. It's gone everywhere and done everything I've ever asked of it and been comfortable as well.

There's also the fun factor to the Jeep. I miss driving a manual. Taking the top off 9 months out of the year here. All kinds of options for bolting on pieces and parts to make it my own. It's also one of those bucket list things that I've always wanted to own.

But then I think if I had the Jeep, would I absolutely dread the thought of loading up the family and archery equipment and driving 10 hours to Salt Lake City for a tournament?

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of new to this jeep thing. Started back in 1977 and have had at least one ever since. 40 years now. Many people who don't own them don't like them. I wasn't overjoyed when Chrysler bought the brand, liked it more when Mercedes took over. Got really discouraged when Fiat started messing with them.

The new ones have adequate power (285 horse) and do OK. Fuel economy isn't too terrible, I'm getting around 18 to 19. If I'm not spending hours at stop lights, its possible to go over 20. The biggest problem with fuel economy isn't the engines or horsepower, its the cities and their traffic lights timed to make sure you stop at each one, some for about 5 minutes.

Don't say you'll never use it off road because its too tempting.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
It's my wife's daily driver. We pack up and drive 100 miles to the shore every weekend.

We have the 4 door, so no issues fitting a buncha cr in it. I use it to drive up and down mountains on my hunting and fishing trips into the PA mountains. My father in law has a 2 door that he uses as a daily driver, 50 miles each way. No issues.

Definitely the AR-15/mr potato head when it comes to adding crap to it.

Join some jeep forums for more info. Don't forget your jeep wave if you do buy one.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Are you asking us to talk you into/out of the Wrangler or the GC?

Two entirely different questions, really.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Why on Earth would anyone want a clutch? The autos out perform them in every conceivable way.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Why on Earth would anyone want a clutch? The autos out perform them in every conceivable way.

Was wondering that myself.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because some people actually like to drive.

If I can help it, I won't ever own another automatic.

I couldn't care less if an auto goes faster in the quarter mile or makes it easier to drive off road. That's not the point. I like the experience of driving.

I could hire hire a professional racecar driver to drive me around everywhere or a professional off-road driver and be assured I'd be the best on the road, but where is the joy in that? I don't want to be the passenger. I want to drive.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Are you asking us to talk you into/out of the Wrangler or the GC?

Two entirely different questions, really.

-Rob

Wife's looking at the GC as a possible replacement for her 4Runner. I just happened to stumble across the Wrangler while helping her look. The Wrangler would be mine and she'll still have her 4Runner or whatever she decides to replace it with.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm not the best person to ask this question. While I vehemently dislike Dodge/Chrysler and feel they are incapable of making a good auto transmission I have a soft spot for the Jeep Wrangler....especially when they have a manual transmission. I myself want one badly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because an automatic cannot provide the state of Zen that comes from executing a perfect heal/tow downshift. Not that I would be doing that much in a Jeep, but I just prefer to drive a manual rather than an automatic. Problem is it is getting difficult to even find a vehicle that is offered with a manual anymore.

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind a jeep for a toy, but as a daily driver, I'd go out of my mind.
You mentioned road trips to archery comps.
My 18mi, 18minute commute is 16mi @70mph - I like tunes, not wind noise. My Sierra crew cab has good tunes & very little wind noise. Every jeep i've been in sucks for tunes.
Get an older 2dr for a toy, keep the truck for trips/commute. Dad bought a 2dr soft top in Very good condition for ~4k, sold it 4yrs later for 2500 after beating the shit out of it.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post