SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which pistol for trip?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which pistol for trip? Login/Join 
posted
Driving from Northern Michigan to Kansas, spend one day. Then to Fort Leonard Wood Missouri for two or three days. Then return home. Son graduating Army Basic. Will leave pistol with local police dept while on base.

Question:
Which should I take?

Choices:
Sig P238 w extra mag
Sig Compact Stainless 1911 w extra mag

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
.45 for sure, but why only one extra mag?

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
Will leave pistol with local police dept while on base.

In that case, I'd get an old Taurus Revolver for $150.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, take something cheap. God knows what could happen to it in their hands.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't have anything cheap, just those two to choose from. I also can bring more mags, just thought one extra would be fine...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Did a total of 15 trips across country, coast to coast over the years. My favorite carry was a Ruger Security Six in 357 Mag which is still my bedside protection. I don't leave home without it.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't have anything cheap, just those two to choose from.

That's why I have my Walther PPQ. It's a nice enough pistol, don't get me wrong, but nothing I'd agonize over leaving in somebody else's possession like you're talking about doing.

I don't suppose you can arrange for a hotel room with a safe? When we went to Chicago a couple years ago, the carry piece went into the gun vault just prior to crossing into Illinois, then that went into the hotel room safe when we got there.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Just got done driving 2800 miles with a P239 on my hip except when passing through Illinois (put the P239 and mag in separate suitcase compartments as close to the Arkansas and Indiana state lines as practicable).

P238 is bound to be a lot more comfy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I graduated from Ft L Wood in 81. I enjoyed going to a relative's graduation a few years ago.
Not much looked familiar. I left my handgun somewhere when I went on base, either hotel or vehicle as I rode with someone on base.

If you checked ahead of time one would think you'd be O.K. With the local P.D.. I like small & concealable for CC.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure you check out the MP museum on post while you're there, it's pretty neat.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will leave pistol with local police dept while on base.

How long are you going to be on base for? Staying on base or just visiting on day trips?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Son graduating Army Basic

Congratulations both of you.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Any forum members close by?

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a room on base, and will be staying for two to three days. It all depends on when he ships out for training. He may have an off base pass on Thursday.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
With your state permit, you were legal in Illinois while in your car.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Just got done driving 2800 miles with a P239 on my hip except when passing through Illinois (put the P239 and mag in separate suitcase compartments as close to the Arkansas and Indiana state lines as practicable).

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
With your state permit, you were legal in Illinois while in your car.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

It looks like reciprocity is only one way - Texas recognizes Illinois' but Illinois doesn't recognize Texas. I could have carried as long as I remained in my vehicle, but couldn't set foot outside vehicle while carrying.

I had to evacuate for Harvey and had business in Upper Midwest while the Houston airport was closed (i.e. they cancelled my flight and DFW was still in Harvey's cone at the time) so I just combined the two. It was an unplanned drive, and I didn't spend time reading nuances on reciprocity.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Three questions:
1. Why just those two?
2. Why not something "bigger"?
3. Why just one?

Unless concealing is an issue then the bigger the better aka more effective, larger capacity, etc, IMO.
It's why I usually keep a smaller footprint on me and a larger one with me (car, briefcase, etc) if possible.
YMMV

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
OP said that is the only 2 he has to choose from.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Why not an AR pistol if you have one?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Have you checked with the PMO office or the MP station on this? The reason I ask is the general rule for Army bases is you may transport a handgun if it is unloaded and in a locked case. The ammo must be in a seperate locked area. When I am on West Point this is what I do if I'm carrying.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post