SIGforum
Which pistol for trip?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7560072034

September 12, 2017, 06:42 PM
hvyhawler
Which pistol for trip?
Driving from Northern Michigan to Kansas, spend one day. Then to Fort Leonard Wood Missouri for two or three days. Then return home. Son graduating Army Basic. Will leave pistol with local police dept while on base.Which should I take?Sig P238 w extra magSig Compact Stainless 1911 w extra mag
September 12, 2017, 07:11 PM
G-Man
.45 for sure, but why only one extra mag?
September 12, 2017, 09:43 PM
radioman
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
Will leave pistol with local police dept while on base.

In that case, I'd get an old Taurus Revolver for $150.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
September 12, 2017, 09:59 PM
NK402
Yep, take something cheap. God knows what could happen to it in their hands.
September 12, 2017, 10:08 PM
hvyhawler
Don't have anything cheap, just those two to choose from. I also can bring more mags, just thought one extra would be fine...
September 12, 2017, 10:15 PM
SFCUSARET
Did a total of 15 trips across country, coast to coast over the years. My favorite carry was a Ruger Security Six in 357 Mag which is still my bedside protection. I don't leave home without it.

September 12, 2017, 10:33 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Don't have anything cheap, just those two to choose from.

That's why I have my Walther PPQ. It's a nice enough pistol, don't get me wrong, but nothing I'd agonize over leaving in somebody else's possession like you're talking about doing.

I don't suppose you can arrange for a hotel room with a safe? When we went to Chicago a couple years ago, the carry piece went into the gun vault just prior to crossing into Illinois, then that went into the hotel room safe when we got there.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
September 12, 2017, 10:37 PM
tatortodd
Just got done driving 2800 miles with a P239 on my hip except when passing through Illinois (put the P239 and mag in separate suitcase compartments as close to the Arkansas and Indiana state lines as practicable).

P238 is bound to be a lot more comfy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
September 13, 2017, 03:47 AM
sourdough44
I graduated from Ft L Wood in 81. I enjoyed going to a relative's graduation a few years ago.
Not much looked familiar. I left my handgun somewhere when I went on base, either hotel or vehicle as I rode with someone on base.

If you checked ahead of time one would think you'd be O.K. With the local P.D.. I like small & concealable for CC.
September 13, 2017, 06:15 AM
limblessbiff
Make sure you check out the MP museum on post while you're there, it's pretty neat.
September 13, 2017, 06:26 AM
SigM4
quote:
Will leave pistol with local police dept while on base.

How long are you going to be on base for? Staying on base or just visiting on day trips?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
September 13, 2017, 06:41 AM
braillediver
quote:
Son graduating Army Basic

Congratulations both of you.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
September 13, 2017, 06:53 AM
M-11
Any forum members close by?

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas
September 13, 2017, 08:09 AM
hvyhawler
We have a room on base, and will be staying for two to three days. It all depends on when he ships out for training. He may have an off base pass on Thursday.
September 13, 2017, 09:13 AM
maxwayne
With your state permit, you were legal in Illinois while in your car.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Just got done driving 2800 miles with a P239 on my hip except when passing through Illinois (put the P239 and mag in separate suitcase compartments as close to the Arkansas and Indiana state lines as practicable).

September 13, 2017, 09:59 AM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
With your state permit, you were legal in Illinois while in your car.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

It looks like reciprocity is only one way - Texas recognizes Illinois' but Illinois doesn't recognize Texas. I could have carried as long as I remained in my vehicle, but couldn't set foot outside vehicle while carrying.

I had to evacuate for Harvey and had business in Upper Midwest while the Houston airport was closed (i.e. they cancelled my flight and DFW was still in Harvey's cone at the time) so I just combined the two. It was an unplanned drive, and I didn't spend time reading nuances on reciprocity.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
September 13, 2017, 10:44 AM
smschulz
Three questions:
1. Why just those two?
2. Why not something "bigger"?
3. Why just one?

Unless concealing is an issue then the bigger the better aka more effective, larger capacity, etc, IMO.
It's why I usually keep a smaller footprint on me and a larger one with me (car, briefcase, etc) if possible.
YMMV
September 13, 2017, 05:14 PM
gjgalligan
OP said that is the only 2 he has to choose from.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
September 13, 2017, 08:31 PM
Tommydogg
Why not an AR pistol if you have one?

Beth Greene
September 14, 2017, 05:51 AM
SgtGold
Have you checked with the PMO office or the MP station on this? The reason I ask is the general rule for Army bases is you may transport a handgun if it is unloaded and in a locked case. The ammo must be in a seperate locked area. When I am on West Point this is what I do if I'm carrying.