SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dick's Sporting Goods to open technical outdoor stores in Q3 2021
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dick's Sporting Goods to open technical outdoor stores in Q3 2021 Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Someone should actually open up an outdoor chain called Hook and Bullet.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Galyan's at Easton was one of my favorite stores ever. I lived close by for a while but would travel the 2 hours after I moved. After Dick's bought it was only a shell of the store it used to be.

I could tell stories for days.

Galyan's paid us a great hourly wage, I think at the time I was making $18 an hour, not bad for a 22 year old college kid in the early "oughts". We were also paid a 1.5% commission tracked by little barcode stickers that we attached to items that we sold. It was not uncommon to have 10k plus days, especially for me, hustling guns and outdoor clothing. We had a great PTO plan as well

The climbing wall was free to try, and we had many a local hot climber chick who would come in for a few quick climbs. It helped sell a lot of gear.

When Dick's bought us out, not only did all of the better merchandise leave, but so too did our commission structure and PTO / health insurance plan. The climbing wall became $5 a go, and as such, was deemed an amusement ride by the state and fell under those regs. It was like rats leaving the Titanic. We all left for greener pastures which is what they wanted anyway. Only to be replaced by folks with no product knowledge.

My favorite big F-U came from Arcteryx, they flat out told Dick's that they would not be permitted to keep the line.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Galyan's at Easton was one of my favorite stores ever. I lived close by for a while but would travel the 2 hours after I moved. After Dick's bought it was only a shell of the store it used to be.

I could tell stories for days.

Galyan's paid us a great hourly wage, I think at the time I was making $18 an hour, not bad for a 22 year old college kid in the early "oughts". We were also paid a 1.5% commission tracked by little barcode stickers that we attached to items that we sold. It was not uncommon to have 10k plus days, especially for me, hustling guns and outdoor clothing. We had a great PTO plan as well

The climbing wall was free to try, and we had many a local hot climber chick who would come in for a few quick climbs. It helped sell a lot of gear.

When Dick's bought us out, not only did all of the better merchandise leave, but so too did our commission structure and PTO / health insurance plan. The climbing wall became $5 a go, and as such, was deemed an amusement ride by the state and fell under those regs. It was like rats leaving the Titanic. We all left for greener pastures which is what they wanted anyway. Only to be replaced by folks with no product knowledge.

My favorite big F-U came from Arcteryx, they flat out told Dick's that they would not be permitted to keep the line.

I loved Galyan's. Bought my first gun there. It was a Sig.

Raced a friend up the climbing wall totally tossed one evening. Galyan's was next to a few places we would drink back in my 20's. Did score some good climbing gear at cheap prices when they got bought out by Dick's. Looking back I should have bought all the climbing gear they had. It was like 60% off and back then they had real climbing gear.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
Please delete.
FYI You can delete your own posts. Left-click on the "folder w/eraser" ("Erase/delete") icon in the lower right of your post, then press Delete in the popup window.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post