SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dick's Sporting Goods to open technical outdoor stores in Q3 2021
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dick's Sporting Goods to open technical outdoor stores in Q3 2021 Login/Join 
posted
These people are stunningly dumb. Seeing the failure of their decision to shit on the firearms market, they're now going to try to create a 'new outdoor store'. Big Grin

Having been in this business space for nearly 25-years, and seen the rise and fall of various businesses, I predict they will fail in 24-months. They have little understanding in this market, much like they failed in the hunt/fish market, failured with the Galyan's acquisition and seen the failure of Sport Chalet in SoCal trying to be all things, to all people.

Dick's plans to launch two new outdoor-focused retail stores in 2021

quote:
Dick's plans to launch two new outdoor-focused retail stores in 2021
The sporting goods giant will open two locations of a new outdoor concept, Public Lands, next year, the company's outgoing CEO told investors last week.

ANDREW WEAVERUPDATED:NOV 30, 2020ORIGINAL:NOV 30, 2020

In a call with investors last week, the outgoing CEO of Dick's Sporting Goods, Ed Stack, announced a new initiative for his company, set to begin in the latter half of next year. As early as August 2021, Dick's plans to open two outdoor-only retail concepts, called Public Lands, in Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio. As the company's current president, Lauren Hobart, transitions to the role of CEO in early 2021, Stack will shift his focus to spearheading the project and overseeing growth in a new category Dick's plans to pursue next year and beyond: specialized, technical outdoor gear.

The new stores will move into two existing locations of Field & Stream, the hook and bullet arm of Dick's with 23 stores across the U.S. The move aligns with the company's gradual exist from the hunting space—a change that has accelerated since the Parkland, Florida, mass shooting in 2018. Immediately after that event, Dick's stopped selling assault rifles at Field & Stream. Over the past two years, the company has downscaled its hunting departments at stores across the country.

"As we look to exit out of Field & Stream and the firearm business, one of the places where we think there's a great opportunity is the outdoors," Stack said on the call last week.

Stack said the new stores will be "different than what you would see with REI," and that Public Lands plans to "carve out a different niche" in the space, though he didn't specify exactly how the company will do that. He did make it clear that Public Lands will offer a different class of outdoor gear than what is currently found in Dick's.

"It will be very different than what we do at Dick's today," Stack said. "Our camping category [at Dick's] is a bit more backyard camping, if you will. This will be much more elevated. We think that the overlap between the products that we carry in this new concept and the products we carry in Dick's will be somewhere around 20 percent, maybe a little bit less. But this will be more elevated equipment—elevated price points, elevated brands, elevated service."

Reaction from the outdoor retail community

Some professionals in the outdoor industry are skeptical about the project's potential, to say the least.

"To me, I see this as a large corporation taking advantage of short-term economic indicators," said Rich Hill, president of Grassroots Outdoor Alliance. "Outdoor retail is much more than putting a good product on the shelf at a good price. It requires expertise. You need to know how to fit packs, where the local trails are, how to select boots for different people's feet. Developing that expertise is step one. Opening a store should be the very last thing you do, not the first."

Hill noted that this isn't the first time Dick's has tried to break into specialty outdoor retail. In 2004, the company acquired the now-defunct outdoor chain Galyan's Trading Company. When Dick's bought the company, it had 47 stores in 21 states. Now, it's little more than a distant memory among retailers.

"The reason that Galyan’s failed is the same reason I think this new project is going to fail," Hill said. "You need to understand outdoor to sell outdoor. I want to know what Dick's is going to do differently this time. My hope is they’re treating this seriously and they’re committed to developing that expertise, but who knows."

One of the new Public Lands stores will likely open in August of next year, followed by the second in October, Stack said, though he didn't specify which is which, or give exact dates. He did say that part of the new stores' mission will be to protect public lands and the environment, as well as to drive new bottom-line growth for Dick's.

"We couldn't be more excited about it and we'll be happy to provide some more detail when we get [the stores] opened early next fall. But we think that there's a real opportunity here for a real growth vehicle," Stack said.

Hill said he's waiting to see what the stores look and feel like before deciding whether independent retailers in Pittsburgh and Columbus have anything to worry about.

"It all comes down to the knowledge they bring. If I walk in there and say I’m going camping in 20-degree weather and they try to sell me a 20-degree sleeping bag, I'll know for sure they’re going to fail," he said.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So they plan to sell high end, "technical" gear in Ohio? Much needed in the corn field! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Screw Dick's. They are a fashion store wanting to be an outdoor store. What they sell may look good but most of it would fail in real-world outdoor activities where you can't walk a few hundred feet back to your car.

What kind of technical stuff do they want to sell. People who have spent time in real "technical" outdoor activities know where to buy good gear and it's not Dick's and will not be some Dick's offshoot.

BTW interesting locations to start. Not Utah or Colorado but PA.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
So they plan to sell high end, "technical" gear in Ohio? Much needed in the corn field! Roll Eyes

Background is in order for this comment, but you be crazy. This is exactly what the market needs.

I was the firearms manager for a Galyan's store in Ohio many moons ago. I also sold technical clothing there due to my crossover knowledge base. It was nothing for me to sell 20k in Nils clothing in a day around the Holidays. Those snow bunnies need to look fresh! Moss tents were B-Squad. Money flowed from Jewish wallets like Manischewitz. Two year olds got North Face Denali Jackets for Christmas. It was decadent!

I also had days were we would sell 10-15 Beretta 686s. We had the tallest climbing wall in Ohio. MSR and North Face tents sold like wings on Tuesday. What happened you ask? Dick's bought us and brought in all of their Chi-Com bullshit. Am I bitter? You betcha.

This concept will succeed. Why? because there are a shit-ton of really rich people in Dublin, Ohio and Pittsburgh who like the outdoors, travel, and need a better option than REI with their sermons.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I hope they fail quickly. Duck Ficks.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Haven't shopped in Dicks since they went PC. Piss on them.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Rev AJ,

Do you think the prevalence of online outlets for may make retail more challenging?

I don't know that region as you do but as someone who has purchased quite a bit of high end outdoor equipment I am finding that it is easier to do my research online and I can often find prices MUCH below retail during my searches.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
So they are going to be another REI?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
"As we look to exit out of Field & Stream and the firearm business, one of the places where we think there's a great opportunity is the outdoors", Stack said on the call last week.
Most of the fields and streams I know of are outdoors. ???

What technical gear would they sell that REI doesn't? Oxygen bottles for high altitude climbing?

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
From the sound if the article, they won’t be REI...
REI actually sells functional equipment.

At the new Dick’s I see a store full of fashionable outdoor gear that will never get put to the test.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before my parents relocated from Cols, OH to Florida last year, me and my dad would regularly go to the Field and Stream store in Columbus.

It was a tad pricey on some items but I liked the fact that it was clean, well organized and they had numerous check out lines open at all times.

The main thing was that it was clean.

I still lament that day that Dicks bought out Gaylan's. I was just thinking about Gaylan's yesterday when I was putting my gym gear in the car. I have been keeping an eye on a low tire indicator light and add in the fact it was 28, I decided to throw in a jacket and pair of winter gloves I got from Gaylan's way back in the day.
(Still awesome)

The Gaylan's on Sawmill Road in Cols, OH always did a brisk business. The only negative (at the time) was that if you bought a firearms you had to wait five days since the store was in city limits. I can still see the Colt .357 with 2 3/4 barrel in the counter that was on clearance and I did not have the money.

It seems when Dicks touches something it goes to crap. Why add a new concept when they struggle with the basics.

After being in North Dakota and passing through Minnesota, I have been spoiled by Runnings and Scheels sporting goods. After seeing how those stores are laid out and the variety, Dicks can evaporate for all I care.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
MY first REI 'catalog' had no clothing in it. 60-40 was unheard of. So now clothing sells because a store has a climbing wall, welcome to the hipster culture! There is more to the 'outdoors' than market cliches and pretty graphics. But, I digress, market ads do sell a lot of "tough, off road vehicles". I only wish we had them when driving on muddy, rutted country roads! Is this the basis for "Pubic Lands". I do know how to use the spell check!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I will sum it up. Dick's can eat shit and die.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Didn't Dick's CEO just finally take a walk?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several factors why this will fail:

* REI already has 2 established locations in both Columbus and Pittsburgh, not having been in those locations, I imagine one has a general assortment and the other has a specialized assortment. If product isn't in the store, customers will order it online and have it sent for free to the store for pick-up.
* REI is a coop, where membership purchases rewards with dividends, that's a strong incentive for people to continue to shop there. Not to mention the attractive promotion periods like their Anniversary Sale.
* REI staff is trained better than any national retailer, brand sales reps and tech reps are incentivized to get in each store and spend time with staff.
* DSG has proven that they simply want a piece of the pie but, are not brand-invested into the segment; their sr officers and board members have golf tournaments and events. Technical outdoor shops are far and few between now, REI's presence in certain regions has forced closure many of these private retailers because customers will simply go to them instead.
* For a retailer to be remotely relevant in the technical outdoor segment, to justify selling 800-fill power sleeping bags, $500 waterproof jackets, understanding the nuances boot fitting and able to troubleshoot roof-top racks, you need staff that are knowledgeable and experienced. DSG doesn't hire enough full-time employees to retain such knowledge base.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
This will fail simpoly because there is a lot more money in selling North Face jackets to frat boys than there is selling $600 sleeping bags to hardcore hikers.

Stores that sell the latter are typically small, in very specific geographic areas, have very knowledgeable staff, and don't make very big profits. Dick's stockholders will not allow that.

Even REI sells way more apparel for non-outdoors people than hardcore gear.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I also wouldn't discount the fact that Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops, to some extent, fill a niche that fit in between what Dick's wants to be and what REI already is.

Plus, REI has become less standoffish to non-hardcore wilderness types and accommodate more "occasional" or "casual" outdoors enthusiasts. My wife and I have really noticed this over the past couple of years.

Just my thoughts, but it looks like Dick's is a little late to the party, which will make them more than a few dollars short in the long run.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I will sum it up. Dick's can eat shit and die.

I stopped going there altogether. Last time I was there, I noticed the shooting section was gone, and I walked out, and went to Big-5, which still has a shooting section.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
Haven't shopped in Dicks since they went PC. Piss on them.

Same here. If they'd just said "Hey, turns out we're not making money selling firearms so we've decided to leave that to local gun stores and God bless 'em" that would have been fine. But trying to earn good boy points by politicizing their business decision ... well, like you say.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Sure...they are going to open a new "outdoor store" staffed by the same minimum wage high school kids who don't know anything about anything. Dicks knows nothing about good gear or sporting good for that matter.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post