SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living on Cape Cod questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living on Cape Cod questions Login/Join 
posted
I have a potential job opportunity to work on Cape Cod in the mid-Cape area. Aside from the living in Mass opinions, I am looking for thoughts on what its like to live there year round. My wifes family always went there and had a summer house there until a few years ago. We are very familiar with the summer and fall season there, but not the winters. What are the better areas to look for year round residence since there is such a surge in the summer? Ideally looking between Orleans and Dennis. Any info on good vs bad schools as well as other opportunities for kids just on the cusp of entering middle school would be helpful.

Thanks.

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Beautiful area; I love it there. Summer tourist season's traffic makes it very difficult to go anywhere.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Expensive cost of living, moderate winters, very left-leaning politics and values. (especially in the public school systems)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I lived in New England and did a lot of work on the Cape. Traffic is a bear, its very expensive, and while the winters are not nearly as cold as further inland due to the 'warmer' water, the summers aren't terribly hot either.

I remember the bugs. Lots of bugs.

If you want to get somewhere in a hurry - forget it. From April to mid-September the roads are going to be filled with tourists. And as an fyi - there is no tunnel to the cape from the mainland. A bridge on and off. Wink

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seasons....

Late summer, fall, winter, some spring, green head biting f’ers, black fly, more green heads, early summer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Might want to peruse this thread from a local New England gun board:

Cape Not What It Once Was

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
The cape has a very bad drug problem. Specifically opioids and meth. Hyannis is one of the big ones for it. Be sure to check with the local pd for any problem areas before deciding on a location.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
We have friends in Sandwich on Mashpee Wakeby pond, beautiful spot and not far from Falmouth.

Also have friends in Chatham and Brewster, both nice and both get very crowded in the summer. They literally can’t wait for Labor Day and the start of fall.

Some nice beaches that are now loaded with seals and the great whites that eat them. Traffic is insane and many locals have to time trips off cape during the summer.

There are some good open space areas for mtb and trail walking and if you are a road cyclist good luck. Narrow roads, elderly , drunks and idiots all are in play.

Love Falmouth, Sandwich, Chatham and West Dennis. Orleans is a great spot with plenty of commerce, restaurants and beaches.

Real estate is pricey and the market is tough.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everone so far with the replies. I currently live in an area with a very high cost of living, running some cost comparisons with salary, property value and taxes vs those thibgs at this new job it would initially be a wash, however, there is some salary growth with the new job at a faster rate than I would be on track for if I stay where I am at. We are very familiar with the traffic and the congestion, and thats very comparable as well to where I currently am as well. Looking for those not so obvious things such as the drug and substance abuse issues that a member brough up- this to me raising kids at this critical decision time in their lives is good to be aware of. Granted these issues are everywhere, but if they are profoundly more prevalent on the Cape, good to know to help drive the decision. Thanks again.

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Lots of Great Whites in the summers now, driving out tourists.

https://www.boston.com/news/lo...-beaches-safety-2020

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking too much traffic in summer months, too liberal politics, green head flies and drugs.
Lived in Yarmouthport for many years.
Bass River is a decent gun club with indoor and outdoor ranges.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
You'll find my ex as the Postmaster in Eastham.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I know the OP did not want to hear this so please excuse me, but why would a freedom loving, gun owning American move to Mass? It may be a great place to visit but why move your whole life to that leftist shithole? Flame suit on.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I know the OP did not want to hear this so please excuse me, but why would a freedom loving, gun owning American move to Mass? It may be a great place to visit but why move your whole life to that leftist shithole? Flame suit on.

Ok, because great people like Arcwelder, Ryan, my daughter and son-in-law, and many of our members live there, have Class A carry permits, and keep the place from becoming even more of a leftist shithole. Remember that the politics of that state are driven by Boston, Worcester, and Springfield, which hold a lead pipe lock on the vote. There are plenty of "real" people there who aren't Massholes.

Finally, sometimes you go where the good jobs for your skill set are. If that's the Cape, there are far worse places to live. /RANT

As far as the Cape goes, I haven't spent much time there in many years, but my cousin has lived in Bass River/West Dennis/Yarmouth for 30 years and she loves it. You manage the traffic by timing, and doing what you need to do on the off days. The winters aren't all that bad.

I would not want to move there permanently, but I do love the Cape, and could quite happily spend a couple of years there.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:

Ok, because great people like Arcwelder, Ryan, my daughter and son-in-law, and many of our members live there, have Class A carry permits, and keep the place from becoming even more of a leftist shithole. Remember that the politics of that state are driven by Boston, Worcester, and Springfield, which hold a lead pipe lock on the vote. There are plenty of "real" people there who aren't Massholes.

Finally, sometimes you go where the good jobs for your skill set are. If that's the Cape, there are far worse places to live. /RANT

As far as the Cape goes, I haven't spent much time there in many years, but my cousin has lived in Bass River/West Dennis/Yarmouth for 30 years and she loves it. You manage the traffic by timing, and doing what you need to do on the off days. The winters aren't all that bad.

I would not want to move there permanently, but I do love the Cape, and could quite happily spend a couple of years there.

Thanks for your input ArtieS. I mean no disrespect but I've been a rebel my whole life. Peace brother.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for your input ArtieS. I mean no disrespect but I've been a rebel my whole life. Peace brother.

I recognize that, and didn't read it as being nasty. I felt the same way for much of the time I lived there. Arc helped me understand the value of staying in a place you love, and fighting.

My daughter and son-in-law taught me that if you live in a "free" town (they are in Pepperell), the police and local administration are very supportive of gun rights, and encourage you to get a permit, carry and shoot so that they can convince their colleagues that such rights are important in Massachusetts.

So, no harm, no foul! Let's support our brethren who live in restrictive states, and help them shape a better future.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post