SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Stereo ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Stereo ? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
My gf and I have a 2002 Miata and the stock stereo sucks, (even the Bose stereos are not great). I installed a Apple Car play receiver and I am thinking a 2 channel amp with powered sub-woofer. AmI on the right track or is there something I am missing. I got spoiled with a rocking stereo in my STi and when I sold it it was one of the few things I missed (oh and the power).

This is the receiver I installed (Sony)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_.../Sony-XAV-AX100.html

This sub I am thinking wooferhttps://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html

Along with this amp
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_...Ordnance-M100-2.html

I have a set of new in box Hertz ESK 165.5 to replace the stock speakers.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I always consider the sound environment before designing a system solution. Given you're dealing with a convertible (going to assume not a hardtop convertible) your environment is not the best for the production of great sound. As such, I'd put some good speakers in the doors powered by a decent amp, and call it a day. I doubt the powered sub is really going to buy you a lot while eating up space in an already small car.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I agree with bigdeal. A convertible that you routinely drive with the top down is not a candidate for a high grade audio system. This from someone who owned a '97 Miata and has a '03 S2000. Both were left with their factory radio and speakers intact with absolutely ZERO regrets.

As an aside, some others I owned, like a 1958 TR3A, didn't even come with a radio! Big Grin

I rarely had the top up on the Miata or S2000. And the vintage TR3A was driven in the snow of upstate NY top down with a tonneau cover over the passenger side to keep the heat in. Also was fond of freaking the neighbors out by using the hand crank to start her up! LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
How many speakers are in your car? Maybe just upgrade those first before spending more money?

I’m not happy with my BMW’s 9 speaker hifi system. With the hardtop up or down. Crutchfield has a replacement amp for a grand but I’m looking for reviews first. My speakers sound fine. Just not getting enough power?

I’m not a radio person.

Haven’t had much top down time since I bought it recently.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Having owned 2 Miatas and now a Honda S2000, I know that quality sound is non-attainable in a ragtop. There are much better places for me to spend my money.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Usually it's a good idea to replace speakers first.

Recently I heard a pair of Focal 6.5" and was very impressed. Simple to install and the results are really good. Strong bass and I can hear highs clearly.

Check 'em out…..

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Most stock systems will sound markedly better with the addition of a subwoofer. Get a mono amp to power the sub and you’ll be happy again.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had 5 Miatas to date. Really love that car.

I'm not great with electronics but i was very disappointed with the stock sound system, i think our car even came with a premium upgraded system

I figured that sticking with a single brand might be easiest and best for us. Alpine was a very popular make back then and so we purchased a replacement head unit, a multiple channel amp which if i recall fit under the seat or in the glove compartment....It's been a long time.

We replaced the front door speakers all of which i was able to install without any real problem.

We did have a local car stereo shop install a subwoofer just behind the passenger seat (also Alpine). They had some commercially available little enclosures that fit nicely on the side of the trunk that i strongly considered, but the trunk is so small and the stereo shop strongly advocated placing the subwoofer behind the seat.

We were very happy with the overall improvement over stock.

It's been a long time but i think the front doors had a separate tweeter up high at dash level and the speaker proper was down low on the door.

I guess it depends on if you're willing to have someone cut out a little panel behind the seat. If not perhaps try the subwoofer in the trunk or forget a subwoofer for time being and just get better inside speakers and add an amp. I think that if you stick with the same brand for all the parts the install is less frightening for a novice like myself.

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
honestlou could have some input he's been in business for many years.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
This is my third Miata the last on had the Bose system and while better not great. Just looking for more volume and less distortion at upper levels.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You have to create SPL (Sound Pressure Level) to offset the ambient road noise in a convertible.
It can be done albeit it will never sound as good as a vehicle with an encapsulated sound chamber aka quieter.
In my days before my computer career I was in the audio business both home and car.
I even waaaayyy back in the day I had a convertible that I enhanced the sound with at the time were great - Craig Powerplay and Pioneer.
It takes Power and speakers.
If you can increase the sound level then "in a convertible" you can increase the sound quality.
BUT it will never rival a normal car.
YMMV so do the best you can with what you can.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hertz ESK 165.5

Your speakers are rated at 100Wrms max & the amp you linked to is 110Wrms. I wouldn't worry about that, but it's something to think about.
I don't know anything about the brands you've listed, but the sub & 2ch amp look to be low end, class D, so keep that in mind. I don't think you'll notice much difference between that & more expensive gear, other than the sub.
I doubt an 8" sub with 125W is going to do much in a convertible, but if you're going to add the front components & amp (and I like your thinking there), you might as well add something while you have it apart & wiring. maybe upsize the wire a bit in case you want something more from the sub. If you can fit that sub in the console/under seat, it might be enough. I think putting it in the trunk will be a waste of time/money.

For reference - my last system had 200x2 on the front 6.5" & 450W on a 10" sub under the rear seat of an extended cab truck. The amps had more to give, but that's where it sounded good + a 1kHz sine wave stayed nice & clean. I miss it, but the bose in my new truck is good enough for a LOT less work & headaches.

I always liked knuconcepts for battery terminals, fuse holders & power distribution. If you can locate the sub & amp close, running a 4Ga close by & splitting to 2x 8ga would be ideal & give you a little bit of headroom if you wanted a bigger sub.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you are looking for. For example, the factory Blaupunkt in our 1997 Z3 is absolutely horrid. It can barely be heard with the top up, forget about it with the top down. Upgraded speakers, a sub, and a couple amplifiers would allow it to be heard. It would be great quality sound, but at least you could hear it.

Even with the top down, a sub will make a big difference if you don't already have one. It certainly does on my boat. With four 6 1/2" coaxial speakers, a 12" sub, a 100 watt per channel/4 channel amp driving the 6 1/2s and a 400 watt mono amp driving the sub, we have no trouble getting clear, loud sound over the 8.2l Magnum at 5,000 rpm and 50mph.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post