SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any members from Ireland?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any members from Ireland? Login/Join 
posted
Will be there in mid November, Southwestern part.

Posts: 449 | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PLO231
posted Hide Post
Shannon area? I am in Ireland a few times a year for work. Between Shannon, Waterford, Sligo and Dublin. It's a great place to visit.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We were just there in May and got out of Dublin quite a bit...

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Dingle & Ring of Kerry?

Dingle: Stay at Pax B&B or Bambery's Guest House. Both walkable to town for restaurants & pubs.

Ring of Kerry: Visit but don't stay in Kilarney. Stay in Kenmare. Easily walkable and the food will make you forget all the stereotypes about pub grub and boring cuisine.

Don't be surprised by how early it gets dark so have breakfast as soon as they start serving and get right out for your sightseeing.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Ring of Kerry: Visit but don't stay in Kilarney. Stay in Kenmare. Easily walkable and the food will make you forget all the stereotypes about pub grub and boring cuisine.

Don't be surprised by how early it gets dark so have breakfast as soon as they start serving and get right out for your sightseeing.

Two very good pieces of advice.

Kenmare was a great little town and Blackmore's comment about the food was spot on.

Check out Watersedge Guesthouse for a quite B&B with great hosts. For dinner at least one night you have to go to Packie's, a dinner that my wife and I still talk about 7 years later.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Níl mé as Éirinn, ach NÁ labhraím leagan amháin den teanga Gaeilge.

An é sin d'aon úsáid a thabhairt duit?

TAC

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't stay in Kilarney.

What's wrong with Kilarney??

We stayed there 2 nights during our 8-day honeymoon in Ireland in 2012 and loved it there.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks we will be staying in Shannon for 11 nights. Have been to Ireland two times. This is our first time to be on our own and in the winter. Really looking forward to the pub food.

posted Hide Post
Tacfoley Im sure it's all good, just need a translation.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twodollarbill:

According to Google Translate:

I'm not Irish, but NEVER speak only version of the Irish language. Is that of any use to you?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:
Originally posted by twodollarbill:

According to Google Translate:

I'm not Irish, but NEVER speak only version of the Irish language. Is that of any use to you?

Ah, slight local Gaeltacht difference in syntax - 'I only speak 'but' one version of Irish' - sorry for any confunglement.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kenmare is a nice little town with lots of places to eat. I recommend you stop into Crowley's Bar on Henry street. Lot's of great music to be heard there.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
don't stay in Kilarney.

What's wrong with Kilarney??

We stayed there 2 nights during our 8-day honeymoon in Ireland in 2012 and loved it there.

Nothing wrong with Kilarney per se, only it's the biggest town and more crowded. Kenmare still gives you access to the Ring and is cozier and easier to get around as previously stated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rictafer
posted Hide Post
Excellent part of Ireland!!! Dingel is absolutely amazing, my sister is living there right now! If you can I would make the trip up to Galway. You can hit the cliffs of Moher on your way.

Posts: 27 | Location: Southeast Connecticut  | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This might sound strange but you guys know how Ireland is famous for their potatoes?

Well, we ate potatoes at nearly every dinner on our honeymoon and they were delicious. They were just more "potato-y" than anything I recall having in the USA!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Guinness!

Fresh from the teet, great for Breakfast, lunch, dinner and a pre bed snack.....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post