SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are "Computer Shows" Still A Thing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are "Computer Shows" Still A Thing? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
From the late 90's to the mid-2000's I was heavily into building/modding/rebuilding PC's. Every couple months there would be a huge Computer Show at a local convention center where you could buy anything under the sun related to computer parts, peripherals, assesories and tools always at really good prices.

I haven't been to one in years now and don't even know in this day and age of dirt cheap computing if they are even going anymore?

Anyone?

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, First Saturday in Dallas was something to behold. And there was Comdex in Las Vegas. Again, it had to be experienced. Today computers are nothing more than commodities with very little difference among brands. Used pieces and parts have little residual value and are scrapped for precious metal content. Of course, the inter-web and eBay have made available all sorts of stuff to everyone anywhere in the world. There is little if any need for physical computer shows in today's world.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I recall computer shows at Scottish Rite temple in San Diego. I had just passed the bar in 1975. They may have had them earlier but I had my attention elsewhere. San Diego Computer Society, IIRC.

The shows were fascinating. Software was sparse. Hard drives didn't exist. Floppies 8" for DEC minis et al were out of the question, as were "real computers." No monitors, no printers. Chips, power supplies, what came to be known as motherboards, doohickies to allow paper tape readers and punches to talk to Altairs, IMSAIs and other 8080 based chipsets. It wasn't commercial much, just a bunch of nerds looking for ideas, help getting your machine working. Some guy touting his loader program which reduced the size to 28 bytes from 37 or whatever, a big deal when you had to hand assemble, then load your loader by flipping switches, and one bad flip meant do it over.

Some of the participants wrote and sold "software", some opened or worked at Computer stores, which began to flourish. I had a plan to start one. All this was pre IBM PC, mostly nerdy guys playing around in their garages and basements, until Apple II came along, then Visicalc. I remember seeing BYTE Magazine's second issue, being mesmerized by the ads. I had a one board, 1k memory, 4 hex nixie display, to play with at first, dreaming of an Altair kit, then bought an early Apple II. Hot diggity! Now we're rolling!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
They went the way of Computer Shopper Magazine. No longer needed with online shopping being a better way to go.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers buying software that came on a floppy disk in a ziplock bag with a mimeographed page of documentation!

And still have a closet full of that old stuff.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
they've gone the way of the dodo I used to go all the time in that era. I went to one put on by the same company who did them when I was a kid with my F-I-L a few years ago, it was all over priced 2nd tier korean monitors and junk.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
We had two companies run them back in my former jurisdiction in NJ. One guy was a nut job. He would have people posting his idiot roadside signs by the hundreds on public and private property. Then leave them for the town to remove

Then we would get numerous complains. His vendors were at times less than honest. Buyers would get their new pc home only to find a brick inside. We would then have to listen to their complaint. No receipt, no idea who sold it to them. .

The other operation, MarketPro is still around and holding shows on the east coast.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It's been a while for me, but I don't think there's much 'wildcatting' in computers anymore. That used to be the 'thing'. You'd go to a show to see what novel idea someone had when they built their machine. Water cooling? Bunches of folks are doing it. Exotic video or sound boards are all over the place. In short it's like all the unique tricks have become too easy to do and no one shows up.

On the software side, the commercial guys aren't spending their advertising dollars that way anymore and the little guys have found social media a better way to go. So you wrote 1500 lines of assembly to create a screen saver like video show. No one cares anymore because they can get the same thing built into an OS.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I used to go all the time. Oem processors were cheap back in the day!

Haven't been in years.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post