SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a Great gun safe story ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Great gun safe story ? Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen one, but not a gun safe,

That's because there's a huge difference between real safes and gun safes. Wink

quote:
they had unlimited time and tools but could never defeat it.

I opened a Browning recently that had been in a fire. Took me about 1 minute with an angle grinder. About 3 minutes total if you want to include the time it took me to make my way to and from the safe through the debris.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of gun safes on local display that are beat up but intact. They were bolted down and were the only thing left standing when our infamous tornados completely blew away the houses, down to the bare concrete foundations.

Obviously it was a great advertising move to give the owners new safes after these disasters.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I have never seen a gun safe survive a real burglary attempt. I have seen several resist the weak attempts of amateurs that break into homes. Since that group is responsible for the vast majority of residential burglaries, a gun safe is still a great thing to have.

This. Nailed it. Home run.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never seen a gun safe survive a real burglary attempt. I have seen several resist the weak attempts of amateurs that break into homes. Since that group is responsible for the vast majority of residential burglaries, a gun safe is still a great thing to have.

Precisely. This is why I have one. I want to make it too hard to get the guns quickly. My collection isn't valuable enough for me to need to make it nearly impossible.

I'd like a "real" old safe because they are cool and I could really integrate one into my office decor; not because I need one.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so they are just to keep honest people honest , the the locks on car doors and homes.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
so they are just to keep honest people honest kids safe and incompetent/amateur perps frustrated.

Accurized for you. Wink

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
A coworker got a frantic call from his wife that one of her 3 Yorkies had run off. She had been walking/driving the neighborhood and wanted him to come home from work to help. He owned two very large safes, one of which he shared with the wife for documents and jewelry. He knew she had been going to their tax attorney earlier and asked if she had opened the safe. Sure enough, when she opened the safe to check, out popped a little doggie!

Posts: 4811 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
What about a door to a room you keep your guns in, any ideas there? I have a Slage electronic deadbolt on the door to my workroom, which keeps out the child, but the door would be destroyed in a heartbeat by anyone with intent. Of course, I have a security system and cameras too, but have been thinking about ideas to upgrade the door.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
while working at a gun store in L.A. , we always kept the guns in the safes at night,
then after putting the guns out for display , we would lock the safes up during the day ( empty)

I thought it was curious because people should be able to see inside.

a month or so later, a big box major retailer had a kid lock his little sister in one of their display safes.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lab-Kid:
and the 30 lbs of gunpowder and blackpowder in the safe and my homeowners policy will take care of the dumbest 1%.

I was listening to a pod cast. A first responder was talking about how he showed up to a fire. Fire was out but was walking around picking up body parts from some sort of explosion. Then realized there were two left arms. Two knuckle heads cut into a safe with a torch. But the owner was a ameteur /pro fire work guy on the side. Stored all his BIG fireworks in the safe. Eek

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
$600 safes open just like $2000 safes. A grinding/cutoff wheel around the top of the safe exposes the safes contents to the thief. I've seen the cheap safes cut this way in 20 minutes using just one cutoff wheel. The more expensive ones take a little longer, but are defeated nearly as easy.

I agree with the statements above, safes are for child safety, amateurs, and smash and grab thieves, but not for real burglars.

The last safe I bought was delivered to my home by two guys with a truck. They explained how to get into that safe in minutes. They knew where the emergency key was going to be kept. They knew how to use the combination reset button. They knew more about the safe than anyone should. That really put things into perspective for me.

The secret to securing a safe has less to do with the safe and more to do with placement (stealth), anchoring (lessens maneuvering with tools), loss of access to tools (no available power), and time (publicly resistant via noise).

Never forget, any $6000 safe can be opened with a simple 9mm handgun.

H&K-Guy

Emergency key? That just smells of all kinds of stupid.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FAS1
posted Hide Post
quote:

This^^^

My thoughts are to buy the best you can afford in the hopes of deterring the crackheads, I mean thieves enough to move on to an easier target. I'll share this from a customer as I usually don't hear much like this firsthand. Be sure and bolt all safes down.

quote:
"Wanted to let you know that a few weeks ago we had a burglary and the dude found the FAS1 by my bed and it appears he tried to pry it open and failed. He got away with plenty of stuff, and the StackOn security cabinet didn't keep him from some of my long guns... but he didn't get my pistols, thanks in part to your product."

Posts: 55 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: January 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
$600 safes open just like $2000 safes. A grinding/cutoff wheel around the top of the safe exposes the safes contents to the thief. I've seen the cheap safes cut this way in 20 minutes using just one cutoff wheel. The more expensive ones take a little longer, but are defeated nearly as easy.

I agree with the statements above, safes are for child safety, amateurs, and smash and grab thieves, but not for real burglars.

The last safe I bought was delivered to my home by two guys with a truck. They explained how to get into that safe in minutes. They knew where the emergency key was going to be kept. They knew how to use the combination reset button. They knew more about the safe than anyone should. That really put things into perspective for me.

The secret to securing a safe has less to do with the safe and more to do with placement (stealth), anchoring (lessens maneuvering with tools), loss of access to tools (no available power), and time (publicly resistant via noise).

H&K-Guy

Emergency key? That just smells of all kinds of stupid.

Agreed. As I said, go back in time and tell that to me when I bought the thing. Doesn't really matter, since the key is locked inside.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lab-Kid:
I'm confident that my 1,000 lb Liberty safe will take care of the 95%'s, the "Explosives" placard will take care of another 4% and the 30 lbs of gunpowder and blackpowder in the safe and my homeowners policy will take care of the dumbest 1%.

This may slow them down a bit also
https://www.burglarbomb.com/

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
What about a door to a room you keep your guns in, any ideas there? I have a Slage electronic deadbolt on the door to my workroom, which keeps out the child, but the door would be destroyed in a heartbeat by anyone with intent. Of course, I have a security system and cameras too, but have been thinking about ideas to upgrade the door.

We have installed doors like this for our clients...

https://www.safeandvaultstore....W-uuTvxoCnv4QAvD_BwE

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have two safes I could fit neatly into. I have the same morbid fear. They creep me out a little.

Because of that, you just ain't gonna' get me to open those safes. You're just not. Go ahead and shoot me if you want.

H&K-Guy

Now I have something else to think about! I have an Amsec BF7250, I'm not going to tell the wife about this new phobia, she will have it worse. I like to think my safe keeps crackheads fro. Being able to hurt others with my guns.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I bought the best Ft. Knox safe I could afford a couple of years ago and it’s bolted down. With a monitored alarm with cameras, a German Shepherd and living in the city with a short LEO response...I don’t worry excessively. Sure I wish there were even more steel in it, but realistically the alarm would be going off and I could see what was going on with hidden cameras. What else can you do??

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

H&K-Guy

20 minutes is a very long time for someone to be making the noise of a grinder and cut off wheel to get into a safe......I live in a neighborhood, so it buys a lot of time.......for someone to call the police.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post