SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving after retirement
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving after retirement Login/Join 
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted
Ok let me pick the minds of our hive here for a few. Going to retire at age 65 in 2 years. Down in Scottsdale, AZ now but it's too crowded in the winter and I can't stand the heat anymore in the summer. Lived and worked up in Washington on and off for about twenty years on the west side (Tacoma, Rainier, Olympia and Shelton). Not bad, but damn soggy most of the year. Thinking about moving to the Walla Walla area on the east side the state. Is anybody familiar with living conditions and housing in that area? Looking at Mill Creek Road going south out of town for about 20 miles. Also thinking about Idaho, Wyoming, Montana or New Mexico. Not looking for any high end areas. Looking for rural areas but within 10 to 20 miles of a town or village.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don't know about those particulars, but I do have some general perspectives. I've lived around the country a bit, FL,GA,MS, and WA, but was born in MI and now have 20+ years in WI.

I've seen a fair handful move South with retirement, then come back to the upper Midwest after 3 years. This is those that spent the bulk of their lives up North.

The main reason for the moves back has been family, friends, and familiarity. Of course we all are different & have the various particulars, not everyone is going to miss 'home'. Some want to get away from the past.

I have a handful of years to go, no firm plans with anything. As of late I've come to like the idea of being part time somewhere or another, possibly including residency in an advantageous State.

One of the biggies is the family & friend contacts one may have, should they want to keep them active. I for sure am not the S FL type, the next guy may be totally different.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a little time, maybe vacation between now and retirement, to travel and see a few more states? We have guys and girls in this forum ALL OVER this great country. Many I am sure would put you up for a few days (myself included), let you do some local sightseeing and share their opinions on strengths and weaknesses of the area.

While I live in PA and will probably never move again, the wife and I got to Colorado a month back and there is much to be said for the state (300 days/year of sunshine on average). I understand the cities and suburban areas are booming, but you want something more rural. I believe there is still much of that available. Heck, PA has a bunch of rural yet, about half the state, just about everything north and west of Harrisburg.

Happy hunting. Great opportunity to do a little traveling.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
With luck, I am 5-6 years from retiring. Live in WA, greater Seattle area, and my #1 goal is to get out of this state.

While eastern WA is better weather, the left side drives the state ideologically and financially. My uncle in Spokane makes me thank him for his tax dollars every time I see him as they go to western WA roads and such while eastern roads continuously suck. No state income tax, but sales taxes in most places have reached double digits. Some of the highest gas taxes in the country, when everyone else is paying $1.95/gal we are at $2.59.

Weird mix of firearm freedoms- easily obtainable CPL, decent carry laws, suppressors and SBR finally legal but private sales now have to go through FFL, no loaning firearms, EBR OK, but every couple years the start up on magazine limits and AR bans. Sooner or later, I imagine it will happen.

I could go on, but bottom line is I would not recommend anyone make their home here unless they didn't have another option.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The climate is one consideration,but the political climate would make a big piece of the pie for me. California is one the most beautiful
states I have seen,Colorado is beautiful,as is Washington State. As much as I like these places the Government is far too left leaning and controlling for me to ever call them home.

So I would have to consider what these areas will be like 20 years from now. I would also look for a state with no income tax.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a change in altitude to adjust the weather? Say, Flagstaff maybe?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also think about healthcare options.

As we age - being close to major, reputable healthcare options is a big plus.

I will be considering all this in a few years too.

Good luck -

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd move to Prescott area.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
You certainly couldn't do a lot better than the Black Hills of southwestern South Dakota. Lots of retirees have made the area their home and for very good reasons. Can't hurt to take a look can it?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
You are already familiar with the political climate here in WA, so no need to belabor that...

I like everything about Eastern WA, here in the Spokane Valley, except for the fact that the state is completely under the control of the West Side. 911 Boss has it correct!!

If you are not afraid of having to move some snow around a few times each winter, I'd suggest that you take a close look just to the East at the Idaho Panhandle... specifically in the area surrounding the town of Coeur d'Alene. CDA itself is fairly high priced for real estate because it is a vacation magnet due to the gorgeous lake, but the surrounding suburbs such as Hayden, Post Falls, Rathdrum, etc. are quite reasonable.

The cost of living is considerably less in ID, even given the fact that they do have a state income tax. Other taxes are less than ours here in WA.

One thing about N. Idaho that bothers me is the nearly total lack of Zoning... If you drive the area, you will notice really nice properties with beautiful homes thereon, with a trashy looking place next door with derelict autos, etc all over the property. That would drive me nuts, and prevented me from considering living there.

Medical care here in the entire Inland NW is excellent, and it is a close drive into the Spokane area from across the border.

I moved here in '79 from the Bay Area in CA, and have never been sorry.

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've never lived there, but I hear Tennessee is nice.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
check out evanstan wy. easy drive to airport in slc, plenty of room to roam, independent minded state and gov't, regional hospital in evanston. disclaimer. i loved it there. wife, not so much. she prefers a little more cultural opps.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
How about Utah? Gun friendly for sure. Beautiful scenery. St. George is attracting lots of retirees and winter climate better than SLC area. Also near 4 Corners.

Texas Hill country also deserves a look.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's a tough decision when you have to weigh the political climate to the weather climate.
Not sure I could stand then political version up there.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be looking at somewhere on the coast in South Carolina for the climate you're looking for......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Have you given any consideration to Cochise County? SE Arizona is a great place to live.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
You certainly couldn't do a lot better than the Black Hills of southwestern South Dakota. Lots of retirees have made the area their home and for very good reasons. Can't hurt to take a look can it?

Tough to argue with that. Having traveled there from MN dozens of times, I've never had a bad vacation. Not mountainous like CO, but a heck of a lot more beautiful than Midwest flatlands.

Bald1:

Are you at all concerned that the politics will begin to shift anytime soon?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Tough to argue with that. Having traveled there from MN dozens of times, I've never had a bad vacation. Not mountainous like CO, but a heck of a lot more beautiful than Midwest flatlands.

Bald1:

Are you at all concerned that the politics will begin to shift anytime soon?

MNSIG,
Nope. I'm confident that west river will remain conservative and east river progressive. Most of the newly arrived retirees are military which simply reinforces my view.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I wrestle with similar thoughts. We have lived in Montana for 40 years and love the summers - but winter just plan sucks. West of the Rockies, the sky is overcast all winter with uber short days,

We have been going south for the 6 months of winter for the past two winters post retirement, but will be looking for something more permanent for in the next year or two for those nasty winter months,

This winter, we are gonna try NW Florida this winter for a change over Mexico, but we are interested in St. George and the Phoenix market.

Nice to have choices.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
In a word:
Idaho

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post