SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KC-130 crashes in Mississippi, prayers to the families of those lost
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KC-130 crashes in Mississippi, prayers to the families of those lost Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
It appears a C-130 went down in Mississippi today. All 16 on board were lost but only 5 have been recovered so far. Thoughts and prayers to the families of those lost

http://www.clickondetroit.com/...crash-in-mississippi

Sixteen people are dead in military plane crash in LeFlore County, Mississippi, according to Fred Randle, county emergency management director. Randle said all 16 victims were on the plane.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Damn.

The old Turkey's have a tin of hours on them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Marine KC-130. Service to one's country that ends so tragically is the highest form of patriotism. These American souls are true patriots. We will miss them dearly." RIP

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Frown

Prayers for the families and friends of those lost. RIP soldiers.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Additional information in this link. Witnesses reported it spiraling down with smoke from one engine. Granted witnesses see all sorts of weird things but it clearly doesn't paint a good picture

https://www.yahoo.com/news/off...illing-003832567.htm

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Wing box failure was a problem years ago.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Made worse because of all the fuel.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Godspeed Marines, Semper Fi.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
We have just been getting images from the scene -

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b09_1499739121

Total freakin' heartbreak, Gentlemen, our hearts go out to the victims and their families.

Bless 'em all.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
We have just been getting images from the scene -
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b09_1499739121
tac

That video really does sort of look like a flat spin fall. No grind/slide marks in. Still shaped like an airplane. Frown

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This sucks. Frown

Prayers sent for the families of the fallen service members.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the lost heroes and their families.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the aircraft originated from Cherry Point, NC. Haven't seen that in the news yet.

God Bless the families.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Fox News online says FBI joining in the investigation. Is this normal? Or do they think something nefarious happened?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Is it normal to have that large a crew on a tanker? I'd have though more like half a dozen or so.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wonder if some cargo came loose / exploded.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Is it normal to have that large a crew on a tanker? I'd have though more like half a dozen or so.

Could have been no (tanker) bladders and it was being used for Self-Loading Cargo and other material.

In fueling mission configuration, the bladders are loaded in the cargo bay, and in cargo config, they are offloaded.

Very unlikely you would have that many SOB during refueling mission, but there is always exceptions, and many things have changed over the years on the way things are done, than what I experienced.

I have other thoughts on the mission, but won't put them out there for OPSEC reasons.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Airplane appears to be upside down on the ground also. I think, from the Liveleak video, that we are looking at the belly and rear ramp.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I could be wrong and have been a lot, but normally a refuel variant is referred to as KC-130(x). Pretty sure they were hauling troops since the initial reports listed Marines and 1 Navy(guessing probably corpsman) as casualties.

Of course the press could just be being lazy, or the press releases not quite accurate. The thread title doesn't match some of the articles I've seen.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
does not seem / sound like a "KC-130" - may have been an "AC-130"

WASHINGTON—The military plane that crashed in Mississippi and killed all 16 aboard was carrying a group of elite Marine troops headed to California for specialized training, U.S. defense officials said.

The crash late Monday evening took the lives of 15 Marines and one Navy sailor. The plane was carrying a a group of Marines from what’s known as the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command.

Those 15 and a Navy corpsman who were killed in the crash came from variety of active duty and reserve units around the nation, an official said.

Marine Corps officials said the flight began from Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in North Carolina, and was headed to a naval air facility in El Centro, Calif., to transport personnel and equipment there.

The plane contained weaponry and ammunition that could have contributed to additional explosions after the crash, which occurred in a soybean field in rural Mississippi, officials said. A special team of explosives technicians are examining the site to assure it remains safe.

Officials said they don’t know what caused the plane to plummet from about 20,000 feet into the field, but investigators are examining the pallets of ammunition and other cargo on board, and how the material was loaded, for clues.

There were no indications of terrorism or foul play, officials said. The identities of the service members were being withheld pending notification of relatives, the officials said.

On Monday evening, officials from the Federal Aviation Administration contacted the Marine Corps when the KC-130 aircraft disappeared from air-traffic control radar over Mississippi, according to Marine officials.

“While the details of the incident are being investigated, our focus remains on providing the necessary resources and support to the family and friends of these service members as they go through this extremely difficult time,” Marine Corps officials said in a statement.

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant posted his condolences on Facebook. “Please join Deborah and me in praying for those hurting after this tragedy. Our men and women in uniform risk themselves every day to secure our freedom,” he wrote Monday evening.

The KC-130, a turboprop plane, is considered a workhorse for the military. It is a refueler and is also commonly used as a troop and cargo transport plane.

On Tuesday morning, President Donald Trump offered his and first lady Melania Trump’s condolences, writing on Twitter, “Marine Plane crash in Mississippi is heartbreaking. Melania and I send our deepest condolences to all!”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u...equipment-1499794588

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post