SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Halfway to Key West
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halfway to Key West Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
The wife is taking me to the Keys for my Birthday! (I'm paying and driving) We are stopped for lunch at Robbies. 4 days of no work! I just hope Noko does not blow up mainland Florida while we are gone!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!! Last thing I did before moving to TX for grad school years ago was going camping in the Keys. Note to self...its tough to drive aluminum tent stakes into coral. Need to get back there....

Have fun!!!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Did that a few years ago, didn't get all the way to Key West. It was south of Miami entering the Keys we saw fresh strawberries being picked, the day before Christmas.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nice! We have a trip there planned for the week of Thanksgiving.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
As part of my bucket list item of driving the entire circumference of the continental USA (not all at once) we went to the very southernmost tip of florida.

You couldn't even get out of the car without being immediately attacked by mosquitoes! Even with Deet it was unbearable.

Are they bad on the Keys?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun. It's been years since I was in the Keys. Key West is always fun and relaxing.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Just got back from there. We lived there from 99 to 08. Once we had kids it was time to go. There is plenty I miss about the keys, but there are other things I don't.

Have fun be safe.

We had dinner dates or drinks with friends who still live there. Not one person in the group's we met out, pulled out their phone, ever.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I was there for the first time a few days ago. Ate at a place called Dantes that was neat. An outdoor restaurant/bar and you can swim in their beautiful pool for free while there.

Also visited the Bahia Honda State park at mile marker 37 and had a great time on the beach and did some fishing.

Already looking forward to returning next year

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conch fritters and Key Lime pie at Mangrove Mama's were the best we tried in the Keys! Lived in Homestead for almost two years and go back as often as we can!

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Nice! I'm thinking about driving to P-Cola in September. Camping at Fort Pickens until I'm bored or have to return for work.

Grilling burgers under the stars. Ocean and bay swimming. Midnight moonlight high speed bicycle rides on oyster shell trails after a 4-pack of Guinness ...

https://www.nps.gov/guis/learn...ure/fort-pickens.htm

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
We are here, waiting for the sunset! We are a party of six and it's lobster fest weekend!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post