SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The satisfaction of completely ignoring a road raging tool
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The satisfaction of completely ignoring a road raging tool Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
I commend your composure.

oh, this didn't happen to me, but this guy is getting lots of attention out here, he was arrested.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I guess he didn't know who he was dealing with. Smile

That's one reason I now have a video camera that records all my vehicular activities, audio and visual.
I've had several near misses that might have been disputed without witnesses or the camera and I would prefer the camera as a witness.

Posts: 9503 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say. - Will Durant
Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Down here on the mosquito coast, fellow travelers are mellow. Well, most are mellow, but there are a few: I was driving on a divided thoroughfare in a sketchy part of Pensacola when an old pickup with junk in the bed tore across in front of me from the opposite lane, u-turned in a a deserted turn off to my right, floored it to get back on the road in front of me, barely making the exit that I was also taking. I swear, the Gabby Hayes on meth lookalike hung halfway out the window, turned to face me screaming and shaking his fist. He slowed down to a crawl and I slowed well behind him, as there was nowhere to pass. He then went on his merry way. Must have sensed the P226 .357 SIG in my lap. Wish I'd had a dash cam; it was almost comical.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I was in a residential area, and a teenager and his girlfriend thought they would have some fun with me. So he came at me head on at some speed in the opposite direction, like some kind of sick game of chicken in the movies. I didn't have any good options at the time because my crappy old car didn't have enough power or performance (really old, really crappy) to do anything to get out of danger, though I don't have that kind of training to deal with that. I stopped and braced for impact, last second he turned and went around me. It took me a minute or so to collect myself. Called the police, they were not interested in the least. That wasn't road rage the way we understand it today, but I understand the feeling of being the target.

Since then I've been on the receiving end of bona fide road rage, one time a young black felon dude picked me out tried to trap me on a long stretch of road during off hours, that was a little creepy. I was armed, but was doing my best to get out of that situation as fast as I could. When he figured I was not cooperating, he broke off. Another time a F250 on monster wheels with two drunk young guns pulled up beside me in a sedan with my young wife, and started pushing me off the road (no contact) into the large ditch in the country (no road shoulders on either side). I tried speeding up, they chased us down again. I slowed down really slow until we were well separated and out of sight. Shortly later we passed them where they were parked on a side road waiting for us. We passed them, they pulled up, and started over again. They disengaged somewhat but followed us all the way to our destination (populated). I called the police, they weren't interested in any way. Leaving for home I kept my eyes out, but they didn't come back. Another time a young fella made a stupid move in heavy traffic, entirely his fault, but he thought it was my fault, so at a stoplight in heavy traffic, he got out of his car etc. and started toward me. BUT, the light changed green, and all four columns of traffic started back up, and I left him in the dust with a hundred other cars. I guess he didn't plan that assault too well. Funny the way it turned out, but a bit scary at the time, esp. when the young guy is strong and you're not so young or strong anymore. I was in no shape, medically or otherwise, to run or fight at the time. I was armed, but was praying it would resolve any other way. Was so relieved when the light turned green before he got to me.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Years back when I was still with the Highway Patrol I met a few road ragers. I was in an unmarked car, that didn't look much like a cop car. I always ran the speed limit or a few miles over. Apparently not fast enough for these two guys. Both passed me on a double yellow in a no passing zone. Then did a brake check. One did some gesturing as he hit the brakes.

Had their the antics on video. Didn't end well for either of the idiots. Both violations were in a County with a good Justice of the Peace. Both got stiff fines and a few yrs of probation.

There's a lot of anger out there. And a lot of disturbed individuals, looking for that perceived affront to go off on someone.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just smile, blow them a kiss and drive on my way

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I would have further ruined that guys mood by calling the police for the brake check and aggressive behavior. Besides, even though he left you alone, he probably went down the road and found someone else to be a dick to.

+1

It sounds like that guy could well have been hitting the bottle/medicine cabinet.

Might add during the call something to the effect of 'I couldn't tell if he was drunk or impaired or something - he was weaving/not keeping speed steady/braking oddly'

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I just give them the neener-neener face which usually sends them into a rage.

Posts: 6349 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a test,and you passed.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
check out his local yahoo.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fHVJygPStlI?rel=0" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

So many fails in that video. Why the hell would the dude open the window and let the other guy hit him?

Why was the lady instigating the big dude?

They gained nothing and could have lost everything for what? To prove the big dude was being an asshole? No way in hell would I have gotten into that situation.

Like 12131, I would have ignored the guy and kept on going.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
check out his local yahoo.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fHVJygPStlI?rel=0" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Wow. He may have PTSD. His lady friend says at the end "We're going to the VA."
Very sad to see.

I can only think the uptick in road rage in recent years is internet related. Many must be on a social media network arguing with someone, then getting in the vehicle, and raging out. I've experienced some very crazy behavior in recent years. I've seen people do 20mph on a 40mph road trying to provoke. On the weekends when I have time, I'll let it go. But when it's work, an appointment, etc, I'll just try to go around at which point they veer to stop you from passing. It's crazy out there. I've never seen so many vehicles get in the fast lane and set cruise at 60mph. Then they'll speed up or slow down if you try to go around them, they'll pace the next lane. You then go to to the slow lane, pass, then move over to the fast lane, and the guy is flipping you off. I guess he/she wanted to play cop for the day. Last time I checked it's a passing lane. If someone comes up on my 6 in that lane, I signal, and move over. In the city all bets are off. Funnily enough, I'll be out in the country, on the weekends, on one of the motorcycles, heading to the twisties. People are friendly, aren't on the phone, they see you coming, and they'll go into the service road so you can pass them. Courtesy. As I pass I wave to say thank you, and they wave back. A lot of anger and hostility out there in the cities. I just try to drive as little as possible these days, and I love to drive and ride.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post