SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The satisfaction of completely ignoring a road raging tool
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The satisfaction of completely ignoring a road raging tool Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Was driving to work this AM. For some reason, I was behind this truck for the longest time (guess we were heading the same direction). He kept darting in and out of lanes, cutting me off a couple of times. Then, at the red light, he was directly in front of me and kept flipping the bird. I kept wondering WTF is wrong with this tool. Then, green light, he started moving but then slammed on the break and flipped several birds again, as I started to move. Then, as he took off onto the freeway, he gave me one last bird. All this time, I completely ignored his antics, but the P228 is right with me, just in case.

I felt completely calm and enjoyed watching a tool making a fool of himself. Cool

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I would have further ruined that guys mood by calling the police for the brake check and aggressive behavior. Besides, even though he left you alone, he probably went down the road and found someone else to be a dick to.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Just another reason i like you Q. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Was driving to work this AM. For some reason, I was behind this truck for the longest time (guess we were heading the same direction). He kept darting in and out of lanes, cutting me off a couple of times. Then, at the red light, he was directly in front of me and kept flipping the bird. I kept wondering WTF is wrong with this tool. Then, green light, he started moving but then slammed on the break and flipped several birds again, as I started to move. Then, as he took off onto the freeway, he gave me one last bird. All this time, I completely ignored his antics, but the P228 is right with me, just in case.

I felt completely calm and enjoyed watching a tool making a fool of himself. Cool

The joys of Houston driving some days. Roll Eyes

Definitely had my share as well. Very little of it riles me up any more, as compared to my younger more aggressive driving days.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15311 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job Cool. Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. 2 black dudes kept on brake checking me on South 59. I ignored them and eventually they took off. No sense to get mad at idiots...

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:
Good job Cool. Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. 2 black dudes kept on brake checking me on South 59. I ignored them and eventually they took off. No sense to get mad at idiots...

Sounds like they were trying to bait you

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:

Sounds like they were trying to bait you

Definitely. This ass clown was just looking for a target, trying every trick to get you to engage. Some times the only way to win, is not to play the game at all.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Road ragers concern me. I've watched too many road rage videos on YouTube, just seeing people lose their minds. I try to avoid any situation or behavior that would place me in someone's rage zone. Even more so since I drive over 500 miles a week and can't bring a weapon with me since I'm at a military base. I wish they would amend the policies that would allow me to easily carry a pistol to and from work with me.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Good on ya mate!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Very similar experience a few days ago. Guy in an SUV slammed on his brakes. I was not remotely on his bumper, so I actually thought maybe a squirrel or something had run across the road.

A couple of minutes later, he brake checked me again. I didn't need to slam on my brakes, I was not that close. But now I realized that he was brake checking me.

Next, he began the slow drive. Around 20 on a main thoroughfare, two lanes.

I was on my way to a tae kwon do class. I've been a black belt for more than 20 years. I had my P239 in arm's reach. I was not intimidated.

I was slightly annoyed, but mostly I just observed this guy making a total ass of himself. We went around a roundabout, and I could see him glaring at me through his open window. It just seemed funny. He was in this enraged confrontation.

All by himself. Big Grin

When my son started driving 5 years ago, I told him to ignore road ragers. They are mainly psychos who have no life. They have nothing to lose.

We do.

So it's not a match, and a stupid trade off.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always let it go, it isn't personal to me and I figure Karma sorts them out (bad drivers of all types, not just the ragers).

Not a road rage incident, but the other day someone in front of me totally blew through a stop sign in a parking lot. I though they were an idiot and it would catch up to them someday.

50 meters later at the main road, he pulls into a car turning left into the parking lot and T-bones them! I just laughed (nobody hurt/low speed), I've never seen my "Karma for bad drivers" threory actually play out in front of me before! Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of idiots who are on the road. Nothing better than to ignore them and nothing more infuriating for them than being ignored.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Well handled. Just because some tool lost his composure for some nonsensical offense is a good reason for you losing yours Wink

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Here in the SF Bay Area there's plenty of know nothings that insist on driving. Selfish, ignorant, clearly unable to formulate a cogent thought.

So many, just so many.

Had a female in a Prius try to run me down on my motorcycle. Numerous attempts to mow me down until I gave her the slip.

Had one primate get out of his car and scream at me while my wife and young child were in the car. I drove away - never get out of the car!

Drive 30 seconds ahead of where you are, IOW, observe and think - what if - be aware and take action before these cretins box you in. Avoiding is winning.

I am a Kenpo Black Belt, I know that I could be successful if I got into a furball, but I will try everything possible including swallowing my pride to avoid one.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I would have called the cops and reported that drunk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Get yourselves a dashcam! It'll pay off...you'll either get some footage for insurance reasons, or some viewing pleasure for youtube.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Q, Given the actions you observed, I'd have suggested reporting him to the local LE, describing the erratic/aggressive driving and actions, driver and vehicle description, plate number, location and direction of travel. When I was still gainfully employed in LE, we located,stopped and arrested a number of impaired drivers who'd come to the attention of other motorists due to their antics. Once located, we observed their driving for a short time, developed a reason for the stop, contacted the driver, did FSTs if indicated, arrested if PC was developed to believe the driver was impaired,etc. Not unusual that there were other criminal issues discovered on these stops, drugs, warrants,etc. being the most common.

FWIW, I know nobody likes to get involved and have to go to court. But due to the fact that the officer/s observed the driving, contacted the driver,etc,the reporting person was almost never required to go to court.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check out his local yahoo.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I commend your composure. Carrying a gun is power, and as Spider-man said, "With more power comes more responsibility."

Too bad your incident didn't end as well as this one (might want to skip to 1:00 in the video).

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The instant karma video is fantastic.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post