SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moscow Idaho U of I - Info Please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moscow Idaho U of I - Info Please Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
Wife and Daughter are going to look over University of Idaho in a couple weeks. They will be there two or three days.

Any tips where to stay and where to eat in town or nearby. They are both very Conservative and don’t like social crowds. So they would prefer to try some of the quieter College Theme eateries to get the feel of College life.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
UofI alum here. Granted it's been 16 years Eek since I graduated and things have surely changed since I was there for more than a few hours.

I can't really speak to any hotels. Sorry!

As for some food options, Gambino's was a great little Italian restaurant on 6th St. The Breakfast Club, on Main St., has been super popular since well before my time there and continues to remain so. Looking at Google Maps, there are tons of restaurants in the downtown area, but mostly there are lots of unfamiliar names.

Your wife and daughter won't have to worry about crowds during the summer months. June, July, and August are pretty dead in Moscow with the vast majority of the student population having left for summer vacation. There will be some students around, but this is the time of the year when the local population ventures out.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I grew up there, actually 14 miles south in Genesee Idaho. A great place to live and go to school if you don't need a big party scene and a big metro around. It is pretty boring there but that is why I liked it. Lots of outdoor stuff.

I left 30 years ago when I joined the military so I'm not up on the current stuff but did have a lot of fun with the college kids in Moscow before I left.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Any more info deeply appreciated

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
email sent

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was there about 1.5 years ago, stayed at the LaQuinta, was a newer clean motel. Have friends there, both work at the university, I can ask them.

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:
email sent

Thanks

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by truckola:
Was there about 1.5 years ago, stayed at the LaQuinta, was a newer clean motel. Have friends there, both work at the university, I can ask them.

Yes Please.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
There was a BBQ joint in Moscow that gave a 10% discount for open carry. I will dig up the name.
Good food, too.

Edit: D. Willy's, I think it was.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my friend.

"If they are coming during a U Idaho bound event that brings potential students in then it will be a bit busier. The Best Western is very nice but spendy, the La Quinta is nice. For walking distance The Monarch Motel was just majorly renovated over the last couple years and they could literally walk on to campus."

posted Hide Post
More

"For food The farmers market on Saturday is amazing it's on main street and the later in the day the busier it will be.
Humble burger is open Saturday.
The breakfast club is yummy but gets busy.
The varsity diner is newer we havent been yet
The Alehouse is good for lunch or dinner.
Gaminos is good lunch or dinner Italian fancy pizza or Italian food.
Patties is Mexican kitchen outdoor seating right across from campus very yummy.
Las Casa Lopez is Mexican and is good.
Zips drive in good fast food-ish food."

Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Not Willy's but CD's smoke house.
It's closed.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
You've gotten some excellent info on motels and food... I'd like to take a moment to bring up a couple of other important items if I may!

The UofI and WA State U are just across the border from each other down in the Palouse country. Because of their close proximity to each other, over the years a close affiliation academically has come to pass, which allows a student who is attending one of the two Universities to also enroll and take classes at the other. This opens many additional opportunities for students, as the classes can be taken at the "in state tuition rate" rather than paying for out of state tuition.

It has always seemed to me to be a good plan to move to the state which houses the chosen institution, work there for whatever time is required to attain "resident status", THEN go to school at the much reduced rate... but then I'm a cheap SOB!

Your daughter needs to be aware that either of the schools I mentioned are considered "Cow Colleges" by folks from major metro areas due to their being located in small, generally rural settings. To me, this is a PLUS, but to many 18-19 year olds, it may be a turn-off. They both offer a quality education with smaller class sizes than major universities, and you'll find the classes are often actually taught by fully tenured and experienced Professors rather than teaching assistants as used at the "Majors".

I have many friends whose kids have attended both, and they feel they got an excellent education.

You didn't mention what she wishes to pursue... Has she decided on a field of study already, or is she, like many, going to take generic lower division classes while she explores for the future?

Good Luck with the trip North to look around!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank you all for all the answers and help.

She still has one more year of school in high school.

I friend told me that most Universities will let the child stay in the dorms for free over summer if the take a class. Maybe work part time in town. That way the second year she will be considered a resident and tuition will be lower.

I am really considering on retiring also when she makes that decision to go to school. We are looking at Northern Arizona or Idaho to retire.

She is looking at University of Idaho. Also looking at a couple in Arizona.

Again Thank You all so much.

Roy