SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are magazines generally available but not firearms or ammo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are magazines generally available but not firearms or ammo? Login/Join 
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
What's the deal on the glock compatible Magpul mags? GtG?

I have used Magpul Glock 19 15 round mags in a few (lets say a dozen or more) Glock 19s and in three Shadow Systems MR918 pistols for some time now - 100% reliability.

I have used the Magpul Glock 26 12 round mags in three different Gen 3 26s, a Gen 4 26, and a Gen 5 (early version) 26 - again 100% reliablilty. My buddy who owns the Gen 5 26 only uses the Magpul 12 round mags in his gun - he prefers the pinky extension on them.

Just my small sample, but I am O.K. with them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I just bought 5 20 round mags for P30 L and those have always been a lil pricey.. Big Grin. Just in case a P30 L is in my future. Maybe I shoulda got 6.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Things that were available all last year are now slowly disappearing.

A buddy just message me to see if I wanted to participate in a 100 Magpul group buy. I told him I didn't need them as I had plenty but if they need someone to complete the buy, I'd help. He replied..too late, sold out. I looked and saw the 10 packs of Magpuls are sold in a lot of places.

I started looking for the binary trigger for my B&T I was putting off...guess not!

I think people are starting to panic buy after Georgia....

Posts: 1350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought 15 Gen3 Pmags today for $14.99 each at the LGS. I am now well north of 200 mags for my 15 or so AR's.

Federal 9mm, ball, 50 round box was $39.99

Winchester 5.56 green tips, 20 round box was $19.99

Tula .223, 20 round box was $11.99

Some hunting load... did not see the manufacturer, 69 grain .223 20 round box was $39.99.

Tula 7.62X39, 120 grain I believe, 40 round box was $29.99

No reloading powder or primers and very few bullets.

Salesperson asked if I wanted to buy some ammo and I emphatically told him, "not at these prices". He laughed and said, "I hear ya brother".

Thank God I stocked up when it was cheap and plentiful.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Today was a good ammo day for me. One of my best.

MidwayUSA must have gotten quite a bit. Throughout the day I got notices for Federal .30-30 170 grain (got 3 boxes), Sellier and Bellot .30-30 150 grain (got 3 boxes), Federal .270 130 gr (got 3 boxes) and Federal .30-06 150 gr (got 3 boxes). If I get any more notices, I'm going to ignore them. That took a bite out of my wallet.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is two fold.

For those of us who lived through the Clinton AWB we will never be caught short again. I have mags for firearms I don’t even own yet but might buy. I have so many damm mags it is not funny. They are not for me. They are for my children. Most of the people buying have no clue. I have guided many a new firearm owner who are friends.

Second, cost. Most folks blow their wad on a gun and ammo. They walk out with 100-150 for 120.00 that almost used to be a case not to long ago for 150. They are broke and have to eat. Two mags looks good and sounds good. They don’t have the money or knowledge for extras. Belt, holster, mags and training.

Right now I feel good with where I am and what I have. For me and my kids. My 6 year old has a colt AR15 waiting for him when he is 18 with twenty mags.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with others that have mentioned it not even being a consideration for a lot of new gun owners. Though I don't think it has much if anything to do with the AWB. For a lot of people buying in times like this it's as simple as "I want a gun. I need ammo for the gun too"...and that's it. Most will never take a class, or even shoot it much or at all. They just know they want it. While most new pistols come with 2-3 mags I'd bet money a lot of buyers wouldn't even care if it was 1.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

Glock is the only major firearm's manufacturer that I'm aware of that makes their own but they have unique construction.

I've been very happy with the ones I got during Freedom Week. I prefer them to the OEM ones

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
To a person, every new gun buyer I've talked to in the last year was totally ok with the measly 1, 2, or 3 mags that came with their weapon. I always get the question what to buy next, and I always reply ammo and mags, in that order.

They all think they are GTG with ~200 rounds of ammo, but don't want to drop the money on magazines. When I tell them my personal minimum for any weapon is 6 magazines, I see the gears turning, and they tell me how much it will cost them to get to that number, and that they don't want to spend that much. Ok, whatever, but you may not ever get a chance to buy them again, buy them now.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve added a few extra magazines recently, never know.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

No idea. I no longer own any Glock firearms but anything I do have from Magpul has been of a high quality.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
The media hasn't really focused any attention on any coming mag capacity bans.

As soon as that happens, there will be no 11+ round mags on the shelf.

I am in a position to speak with, not only manufacturers, but large online retailers. There is some mag speculating going on. It hasn't hit panic levels. It is coming though.

This time there will not be a sunset on the ban.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
quote:

I have used Magpul Glock 19 15 round mags in a few (lets say a dozen or more) Glock 19s and in three Shadow Systems MR918 pistols for some time now - 100% reliability.

I have used the Magpul Glock 26 12 round mags in three different Gen 3 26s, a Gen 4 26, and a Gen 5 (early version) 26 - again 100% reliablilty. My buddy who owns the Gen 5 26 only uses the Magpul 12 round mags in his gun - he prefers the pinky extension on them.

Just my small sample, but I am O.K. with them.

I will add, I really like the length of the 21rd ones. So far 100% reliable.

Also KCI Glock mags have been 100%. I gave a friend 10 of them to run at a 250 Pistol course. He had zero malfunctions.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been purchasing a number of magazines, especially given that change may be just around the corner and availability and legality may alter.

I bought a series of Wilson mags. One day they're sold out, and the next, hurry and get the order in while they're back, because a day later, they're sold out again. I just picked up some more 18 round magazines that the local shops can't seem to stock. Sometimes Wilson has them, sometimes not, but it's evident that as fast as they can get them made, the mags sell out. Many makes and brands I just can't get, because the demand is clearly too high.

Glock magpul mags? I've beaten some up, several thousand rounds each, no issues at all. For carry, I'll take factory magazines, but for everything else, I wouldn't hesitate to use the magpul mags for a competition or class or range time, and given that I've not seen a single issue with them, they'd probably be just fine for carry, as well. So long as I have factory, I'll carry those. Magpul represents a great value.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Magpul Glock mags work 100% with a caveat. Steel cased ammo sticks in mine on occasion. Enough that I stop using them in matches because I shoot steel almost exclusively. I would have no reservations using one for real (HD) using quality brass cased ammo.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Dark Decade (1994-2004) taught some of us an indelible lesson, but for many shooters that ended half a lifetime or more ago, and well before they started looking for magazines. For those of us who remember it, though, I’m reminded of the tales about people’s parents and grandparents who lived thought the Depression and how that stuck with them all their lives. Those of us who learned the DD lesson don’t need to buy more magazines and those who didn’t are generally satisfied with the pitiful few they have as well. (When I realized that 357/40 P320s were no longer even listed on SIG’s site, though, I bought some more of those mags just last week.)

I predict, though, that the ready supplies of mags will nevertheless change at some point.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
So, anyone else buy mags for a gun that you never intend to own?

My reasoning, "Somebody in my family will need one of these mags one day"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep I buy mags for guns I don’t own. PS90 and scar H. Number one in line for a scar. Already got 10 mags. Have AK mags and drums too. Lol. Don’t even own one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1flynDO,

Posts: 1743 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post