SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are magazines generally available but not firearms or ammo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are magazines generally available but not firearms or ammo? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I”m at a couple of my LGS last night looking around and killing time. There was no shortage of AR-15 and AR-10 magazines including PMag, Lancer, OKAY, etc. I could also find plenty of 1911, Beretta (more limited), CZ, Glock HK, Ruger, S&W, SIG, and Walther magazines, etc. So, why can the magazines industry generally keep stores in stock while ammo and firearms are generally hard to find? It seems all three should be hard to find as these are factory, Mec-Gar and Magpul magazines.

Anyone know?

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
New buyers didn’t live through the last federal AWB, and don’t know any better. Some things are drying up online. Brownells is out of many things I was looking to pick up.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The production of ammo is a far more complex process than magazines. There is no shortage of steel or plastic.

Ammo is manufactured in batches by caliber, in anticipation of the next year's demand. First maybe 9mm, then 38, etc. Once next year's batch is complete, the line is re-tuned for the next caliber.

Remington ammo manufacturing has been off-line almost all of last year. That's about 20 percent of the US ammo making capability. It came back online January 3, I believe.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
because guys like me already have a closet full of mags. Don't need any more -- honestly.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
Because in spite of what some stupid Liberal politicians think, magazines can be reused. Ammo not so much.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
Because in spite of what some stupid Liberal politicians think, magazines can be reused. Ammo not so much.

It can, but the same problem exists if you cannot get powder, primers, or projectiles. And obviously, you have to already be reloading. Not exactly a hobby you start right up like stamp collecting or the like Big Grin Take away any leg of the reloading supply and you’re in the same boat as loaded ammo buyers.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

It can, but the same problem exists if you cannot get powder, primers, or projectiles. And obviously, you have to already be reloading. Not exactly a hobby you start right up like stamp collecting or the like Big Grin Take away any leg of the reloading supply and you’re in the same boat as loaded ammo buyers.

Seriously? You know perfectly well what I meant. It's useless nitpicking to try and say that reloading is equivalent to reusing ammo. It's not the same thing at all.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
radioman might be onto it. In 2008, I bought several hundred mags. This time I’ve bought six total for a new P365.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
New buyers didn’t live through the last federal AWB, and don’t know any better. Some things are drying up online. Brownells is out of many things I was looking to pick up.

This was my first thought too.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I was literally going to ask this question. They are still incredibly plentiful.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Voshterkoff and radioman nailed it.

A lot of new buyers need guns and obviously at least some ammo to feed them. The folks that load the gun and throw it in the drawer may never fire it and won’t have a clue they need more mags. Heck, they may not need more mags. Those who go to the range once or twice to see what their new toy is going to do may not fire off enough rounds to feel like they need more than the one or two that came with the gun. Until they takes a class or do some higher volume shooting they may not feel the need.

Those of us that have been through a shortage and stocked up in the lull after may not need any more magazines. Yeah, I suppose they are somewhat consumable, but if you have enough, it doesn’t matter.

The folks who actually need (and realize that they need) more magazines is a smaller group.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
The production of ammo is a far more complex process than magazines.

Primers have been a problem. A number of the ammo plants have been hard hit by Covid, too.

The demand is up with all the newbies and the supply is going to take time to catch up.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24045 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a competitive shooter and I do a large bullet purchase from Hornady yearly and this year when I went to put in my order I was told that they are producing 40% more components this year than previous years and that they are currently backlogged 8 months to 2 years depending on the bullet size.

They gave me no timeline as to when my order will ship.

Thank god I've ordered more than I need to get through a season the past few years.

Primers on the other hand is getting a little scary.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, bullets are getting a little thin on the ground too.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think most shooters, especially new gun owners, can only concentrate on a couple of their needs at a time. Plus funds are limited for many.
The last few months have been guns, ammo, and reloading stuff. Next will be mags as my belief is that the new administration will float a couple of trial balloons first, namely no private sales and outlaw hi-cap mags. That's when the mag buying will get crazy.

I had some FDE Pmags at my last show for $20. Not one sold and I got scoffed at by the same guys who are paying $45 for a box of ball 9mm now and could have bought it from me for $25 a few months ago. And I warned them then.
Big PVC pipe and end caps will be next.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Magazines in almost every major company are subcontracted to another company. Mecgar, checkmate and Lancer among others.

Glock is the only major firearm's manufacturer that I'm aware of that makes their own but they have unique construction.

quote:
The production of ammo is a far more complex process than magazines. There is no shortage of steel or plastic.

Exactly right. A few processes and it's done.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
because guys like me already have a closet full of mags. Don't need any more -- honestly.
Exactly.
Those that lived through the AWB are more than stocked up with standard capacity magazines.
I’ve got enough magazines for me and my kids, and future grandchildren.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
people are well-stocked

and for new gun owners who are not -- what is the point of buying 5 more mags if you can't get ammo ??

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

Glock is the only major firearm's manufacturer that I'm aware of that makes their own but they have unique construction.

What's the deal on the glock compatible Magpul mags? GtG?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Interesting answers.

I know several deputy sheriff's that use the Glock 19 mags made by Magpul. Zero problems.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post