SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking seriously about playing musical satellite TV provider
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking seriously about playing musical satellite TV provider Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Been with DirecTV for a long time...15-ish years. Since AT&T bought them out, they don't give a drizzly shit HOW long you've been with them the price is the price and at $145/month, I'm about done.

Got a flyer from Dish today, decent selection plus extra TV and a DVR $65 a month locked in for 2 years (with a 2 year commitment) and a $400 pre-paid MasterCard.

Over time, I'm sure it'll be 6 of one and a half-dozen of the other, but at the moment I can't see the catch.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15157 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I used to work for Dish as a Field Service manager for 7 years. While working I had their service for free. Once I resigned we immediately switched to Direct TV in order to get a better deal and the rebate they offered at the time. I had their service for a little over a year before I had enough. The price jumped significantly once outside of their promotional period and I was never happy with the equipment. I honestly couldn’t stand the genie and never warmed up to it. We got a flyer from Dish offering a rebate that covered my early termination fee with Direct TV and I couldn’t switch back fast enough.

My personal opinion is that the Hopper 3 from Dish is a far superior system to anything Direct TV offers. Dish also has the 2 year price lock which is great. If you decide to switch make sure you get the Hopper 3 if your looking for a DVR system.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I dump the satellite dishes altogether however, my wife likes her Korean TV channels on Directv, which are no longer offered on Dish.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I dump the satellite dishes altogether however, my wife likes her Korean TV channels on Directv, which are no longer offered on Dish.

If it weren't for my wife and the B-i-L, I'd dump it all and just stream Netflix and Prime.

However, Happy Wife, Happy Life...

Posts: 15157 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Best wishes with your choice. Some of us troglogytes manage to get by with just basic cable TV.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

We had the same issue with TV Japan. Dish suddenly dropped it, after almost ten years of our being a customer. Had to scramble like mad to find a service provider that had it and Direct was the only choice. At first, it was reasonable, then it increased like mad, along with flipping at&t swallowing them up. It's been a rollercoaster of disappointment. At this very moment, it's down because we had a little rain. Dish was fine, except they dropped the one channel we absolutely needed.

Fiddlesticks.

Posts: 4915 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
HULU had everything we needed for $55 a month, dropped Direct like a hot turd

Posts: 5281 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ve been with Dish for 20 years and they have always been very customer friendly to me. Out of all MSO’s and satellite providers, they offer the least expensive service. The current 4k Hopper/Joey setup is tits. I have the most basic programming as I don’t watch commercial television and all the movie channels (sans HBO, because ATT bought Time Warner media who owns HBO and since they own DirecTV now, are just being ass holes to Dish network). I pay $77 a month currently and that’s 4 tv’s in the house. I do Dish and then have snail mail blu ray and 4k disc memberships with Netflix and 3D Blu ray Movie rental. I loathe streaming services.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12555 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DTV was fine until AT&T took them over.

Posts: 3319 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do it.

My wife and I play musical chairs with TV and cellular. For TV, we’ve had and re-had all the biggest players in cable, satellite, and streaming, always looking for the next big deal. Currently with direct TV for $23 monthly. Don’t be afraid to cancel service and be without for a day or two until you get your price.

Same with cellular. We’ve been with every major provider and MVNO...never afraid to jump to the next lowest offer. Currently with Red Pocket. Of the 20 or so we’ve been with in the past few years, this is my favorite.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, after getting input from the two people in the house that watch non-streaming TV and making a list of the "must have" channels, it turns out to be a wash, or very nearly so. I'd have to go with the top tier package just to get one or two channels that aren't available without it.

Not worth the hassle.

Fut.