SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selling a baseball card collection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling a baseball card collection Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
My mom recently found my old baseball card collection in their basement so it is now taking up space in my basement. While I used to enjoy collecting cards when I was a kid I now have about zero interest in them and don't really feel like keeping them until I die so that they can become worth more when my kids sell them.

Is there a better way to sell them than drive down to the local card store and say "What'll ya give me?" I'm not to worried about getting the absolute best deal on them because I don't feel like researching the value of several thousand baseball cards but I don't want to necessarily get pennies on the dollar either.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me that a bit of basic research is in order... You know the card shop is going to low-ball you, that's how they survive/earn their profit.

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If your collection consist mostly of cards from 1988 to 1995 just save yourself some trouble and toss them in a dumpster. If we are talking pre 1970 you might have some value worth digging through to research.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
If your collection consist mostly of cards from 1988 to 1995 just save yourself some trouble and toss them in a dumpster. If we are talking pre 1970 you might have some value worth digging through to research.

I think you might expand that to the 1975 era too. Yount and Brett RC, Ryan, Rookie catchers and outfielders cards, are all good cards.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not the OP, but how about 1979 to 1988?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mean my Maquis Grissom Black gold card is worth nothing???? Big Grin

I think the only card I have of value is the green barry sanders rookie card. Too bad Emmit passed all his records.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The problem with 88 to 95 is that was the boom in collecting and the card companies responded with glitzy marketing, special editions of everything and printed tons of stock. There were also more people collecting cards than ever so everyone has the stuff in a closet somewhere. Stuff from this era will never be rare, even key players rookie cards.

All card values are extremely low at this point, except a few key cards from certain eras of course. If you have the rookie card of a HOF player by all means dig it out and hold onto it. If you have complete sets of cards from main stream printers hold them. If you are looking to sell this is a horrible time, no matter what you are selling. There is literally zero interest in sportscards right now.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
OP,

Pick up an issue of Beckett and peruse through it to get an idea on value.

From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like your collection is worth much as production numbers were very high those years. I got out of collecting in 2002 as they just started to produce more and more. Often times value was based on rarity. When companies first started introducing pieces of memorabilia on cards, it would be 1:xxxx packs. Then it got to 1 per case, then 1 per box and eventually 1 per pack. It was ridiculous.

I do regret selling a few cards such as Albert Pujols and Ichiro rookie cards and an awesome Sandy Koufax signed sweet spot card. I would hate to see the values of those cards now. Frown

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've done a few tables covered in similar cards and then clear resin, and it turns out cool.

You might set some aside for this purpose, if that's of any interest, aside from sales...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm glad I dumped all of mine in the early internet era, before everyone realized there was a shitpot of cards from 88-95. Made out really well on the Ken Griffey Jr rookie cards and others.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I vote swap your aluminum wheels on your car for spokes and clip them to your fenders.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have some basketball cards for the seventies and eighties.

Wilt Chamberlain
Pat Riley
Gail Goodrich
Lew Alcinder
etc.

Probably not in great shape, but still intact. Any value on these?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
Well crap, that's about the opposite of what I was hoping to hear but pretty close to what I was figuring my luck would be.

Thanks for the responses and insight into the market. I guess I'll put mine back in the closet and focus on getting every kid from the 80s and 90s to throw theirs away so that mine will have some value. Smile

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I've done a few tables covered in similar cards and then clear resin, and it turns out cool.

You might set some aside for this purpose, if that's of any interest, aside from sales...
This seems like the best idea.
Although Scuba Steve Sig's idea is a good option as well.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I still have a bunch of 50s-60s Dodgers. All of Koufax main cards. Most of Drysdale. Also have the Volpe art.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
And remember that condition is everything, unless it is a Honus Wagner or something truly rare.

If they are your kid cards and you thumbed through them and looked at them and played with them, they are worn and not interesting to collectors, even if there is something worth $100 if in pristine condition.

Check it out, but don't be surprised if they aren't worth anything.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
As to the resin idea: If we are talking thick resin bar top I think it would be really cool to suspend the cards in the resin. Pour an inch of resin then place the cards in it and add another layer of resin. The cards should cast a shadow which I think would be pretty neat.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
As to the resin idea: If we are talking thick resin bar top I think it would be really cool to suspend the cards in the resin. Pour an inch of resin then place the cards in it and add another layer of resin. The cards should cast a shadow which I think would be pretty neat.

Precisely (thick bar top). I've seen it done that way, too, floating in the middle of 2 layers.

Pennies, trading cards, photos, interesting fabrics with patterns, etc, tons of things will work. Experiment, though, as it affects some colors...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post