SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Open carry in Texas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open carry in Texas Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
That's some really good weapon retention right there.

That would be an illegal OC. The pistol must be in a holster secured to one's belt or in a shoulder holster. Doesn't appear to be in a holster at all.
^^ THIS ^^

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Other than obvious plain-clothes types, I've seen zero OC. But I have--predictably--seem a lot of 30.07 signs and more 30.06 signs than before.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Last week I was at an office supply store in N Houston and saw this customer at the print counter openly carrying his Springfield XD-S.

Just no. Wrong and ignorant way to OC. Any kid could just saddle up and remove it before he could ever react.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just no. Wrong and ignorant way to OC. Any kid could just saddle up and remove it before he could ever react

Also illegal since it's not in a belt or shoulder holster. And no, a back pack is not a shoulder holster.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Other than obvious plain-clothes types, I've seen zero OC. But I have--predictably--seem a lot of 30.07 signs and more 30.06 signs than before.

While I have taken notice of more 30.07 signs, around me, I haven't seen a significant increase in 30.06 signage.
Went & saw Logan last Friday & the theater we went to was posted 30.07, but in english only. So may not have been enforceable? I don't OC, but took notice of the lack of proper signage.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
Just no. Wrong and ignorant way to OC. Any kid could just saddle up and remove it before he could ever react.

No joke. In fact, he was w/ his wife/GF/SO and what I assumed to be their two children. One was an infant, the other was a toddler sitting the the shopping cart seat. It was just the right height where if he turned his backpack towards his kid, the toddler could have slipped the pistol out of the external pocket.

Hell, I could have lifted the gun w/o him noticing. He and his SO were concentrating on their laptop trying to open a file and completely distracted.

TX requires a 'License To Carry' a pistol concealed or open. I doubt the guy had a LTC, b/c I'd like to think anyone w/ a LTC wouldn't carry so irresponsibly.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Last week I was at an office supply store in N Houston and saw this customer at the print counter openly carrying his Springfield XD-S.

So, given the statutes as others have said, likely illegal.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a shoulder or belt holster by the license holder.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBadBass:
I've seen open carry a few times in the Austin area. I was in Rock Springs TX about a month ago and just about every male I saw go into the local grocery was OC. One should note that this is a ranching and hunting community pretty close to the border. We saw a group of 15 illegals that weekend on the ranch where a friend has a hunting lease.

I live in a town in SW Texas 100 miles or so from the border, and almost never see anyone open carrying. At one time I was told that Brewster County had the highest per capita of concealed handgun licensees in Texas. We certainly have more than our share of illegal alien traffic and dope importers.

One of the locals I know carried openly when the law first allowed it, but the rest of the old-timers coffee klatch derided the idea to such a degree he went back to concealed carry.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Living in DFW I've seen a few OCs.
Twice were guys riding motorcycles with OWB belt holsters.
Once in Canton at First Monday a guy with a Ruger revolver.

That is all I've seen since it has started.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post