SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Open carry in Texas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open carry in Texas Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
I saw my first OC in Texas yesterday.
GLOCK like pistol, 3:00 OWB carry in KROGER grocery store.
The only alarming aspect was his haircut,
curled Mohawk with Houston Texans Logo shaved in the short side hair.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
And how many gangbangers burst out of the diary aisle to rape him and steal his piece?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
I saw my first OC in Texas yesterday.
GLOCK like pistol, 3:00 OWB carry in KROGER grocery store.
The only alarming aspect was his haircut,
curled Mohawk with Houston Texans Logo shaved in the short side hair.

I've seen open carry here since early last year, the first was at a Walmart pharmacy in Plano.
My wife never even noticed til I pointed it out to her.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen anyone OC. How can the blood
run in the streets if there are no gunfights?

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
I haven't seen anyone OC. How can the blood
run in the streets if there are no gunfights?

Raising the speed limit. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been back in Texas since July 4th and only seen it a couple times. Then again, I lead a quiet life and shop at HEB which is 30.07 posted (not 30.06 posted) so it's not surprising.

This is the 2nd state I've lived in allowing OC (Alaska had Consitutional carry for OC and concealed). IME, seeing someone OC'ing is only memorable if it's a woman with a nice butt.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I actually spotted an OC fella last weekend here in North Richland Hills. We were eating lunch. Friendly looking guy. He was the first I've noticed as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I've been in Yuma for the last month and I swear I might have seen our own Rolan Kraps at Wal Mart ,in full dress and open carrying.

On the other side, most everyone speaks English to the point a mother chastises her 7ish year old about speaking Spanish "we are Americans now and we'll speak English." And the farm laborers picking you cauliflower and lettuce work LONG hours.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in deep ETex I have only seen OC twice. Once in a shoe/boot store( the proprietor), and once in Wal Mart parking lot. In the first instance, I couldn't tell and didn't ask what the choice of firearm was; in the Wally World lot, it definitely was a 1911 variant.....granted I don't get out a lot, but it seems to be a rare occurrence.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I've only seen a couple. The most memorable was a guy at brookshires with his daughter. He had a hi point in an Uncle Mike's with his sweatshirt hitched up over the grip.
Cool thing was, my 10 year noticed as well, and later wanted to know why I didn't open carry (the kids know I carry, always have, and see it as fairly normal). And I explained my reasonings to her:
I don't see it as a "tactical advantage" so much as I just really don't want the extra attention from the liberals & blue hairs....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I saw a bunch at the TSRA annual meeting in Austin last weekend. Then on the way home stopped into Whataburger in Tomball and saw a young guy OC'ing. Almost didn't notice as I had seen it all weekend.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This is so weird to read. I would think it would be normal to see people OC in Texas. Cowboys, wild west, all that.

In Virginia, it's not common, but I see at least one every few weeks. It's also been legal for a long time here.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen any either.
Nice too that 30.06 penalty has been downgraded.
So the only people who care about OC are the restaurants so they don't allegedly "scare" the customers.
I don't see many 30.07 signs anywhere else.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've seen two. One guy at the QT pumping gas, (might have been LOE) and the other was a guy I met to do a FTF transaction. He told me when we were setting up the meeting not to be alarmed because he would be OC. He went into an auto parts store after we finished our business.

Much ado about nothing.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
This is so weird to read. I would think it would be normal to see people OC in Texas. Cowboys, wild west, all that.

We're too busy buying new 10-gallon hats and tending to our oil wells to worry about converting form CC to OC. Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have only seen OC a couple of times here north of Dallas.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I saw 5 last weekend in northern Kentucky and 1 today. A FFL who sets up in the Flea Market has OCA and Dont Tread on Me across the hood of his Jeepster.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

We're too busy buying new 10-gallon hats and tending to our oil wells to worry about converting form CC to OC. Wink

That's some funny stuff right there. Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've seen one open carrier. Semi-open, as it was a guy with a jacket and the gun under the jacket. But the jacket wasn't closed, so you could see the gun when he reached. It didn't draw any attention from people.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

In Virginia, it's not common, but I see at least one every few weeks. It's also been legal for a long time here.

And I can remember the days, when open carry was seen a lot in Virginia.

Back when the judges issued CCW permits...

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post