SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I watched Free Solo last night and am amazed. It was difficult to watch the most exposed points of the climb even knowing the outcome. His girlfriend should have left him alone during this. I'm surprised she didn't mess it up with her attention seeking and drama possibly distracting him. Watching his personality and his quirks, relationships are perilous.

Amazing that a face once considered unclimbable has been free soloed. The first ascent required 45 days on the face, he did it in 4 hours.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
His girlfriend should have left him alone during this.

This was another time I appreciated my wife. She was saying the stupid girl should leave him alone or at least shut the fuck up. She is clearly too self-absorbed to realize that.

The girl, not the wife.... Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
FWI Free Solo is premiering on NatGeo now or 9 pm for those not on the East Coast.

Taped it, going to watch it later this week.

There is also on Netflix a good documentary called "Valley Uprising". Gives a good history of that climbing

Valley Uprising is worth a watch but I feel they left out a big part without mentioning Peter Croft.

While you see him for a few seconds as he says something to another climber IMHO they should have devoted a few minutes to him.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's a bit of reality for all you adventurers:

Utah officials identify boy, 13, who fell to death while ‘free climbing’ in state park

I am 100% certain that this kid was not influenced in the least by the nutball human fly who is the subject of this thread.

You can expect more stories such as this one, and none of them will have anything at all to do with the psycho Spiderman.

What a role model Roll Eyes

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Reminds me a little of the early 70's imitation of Evil Knievel by kids my age. Fortunately most of us were smart enough not to actually try to jump a fountain or a row of buses or a canyon. I may have jacked up a Schwinn wheel pretty bad tho..... and come down way too hard on the frame with some delicate parts.

Not the same as dying of course, and hopefully some parents will talk some sense into their kids.

Deja Vu all over again

Most folks aren't nearly reckless enough to climb 100 feet up a mountain.

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Most folks aren't nearly reckless enough to climb 100 feet up a mountain.
At 13, you're immortal.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reminds me a little of the early 70's imitation of Evil Knievel by kids my age. Fortunately most of us were smart enough not to actually try to jump a fountain or a row of buses or a canyon. I may have jacked up a Schwinn wheel pretty bad tho..... and come down Or....had tway too hard on the frame with some delicate parts....

I bent 3 front axles on my Stingray doing jumps and broke my thumb on a bad jump. Not to mention all the road rash. No helmets back then.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Here's a bit of reality for all you adventurers:...

But for the movie FOX would not have even reported as a "Free-Climbing" accident, or reported it at all? More like, typical 13 year old boy goes exploring on his own and, unfortunately, falls to his death (which is tragic). But the news needs to link an Oscar winning film to the death....which is typical of any news.

Oddly enough, people die in National Parks all the time, and the 3rd most common cause of death....Slipping and Falling. Long before "Free Solo".

https://www.foxnews.com/travel...ie-in-national-parks

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

But for the movie FOX would not have even reported as a "Free-Climbing" accident...

And of course the article got it wrong. The boy wasn't "free climbing." He was "free solo climbing" which is a huge distinction.

It's nuts and grossly irresponsible to allow a 13 year old to free solo a climb like that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
The boy wasn't "free climbing." He was "free solo climbing" which is a huge distinction.

I had to look up the difference. Neither particularly appeals to me.

Free climbing is a form of rock climbing in which the climber may use climbing equipment such as ropes and other means of climbing protection, but only to protect against injury during falls and not to assist progress.

Free solo climbing, also known as soloing, is a form of free climbing and solo climbing where the climber (or free soloist) performs alone and without using any ropes, harnesses or other protective equipment, relying entirely on their ability instead.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
his GF did leave him alone during the climb. She left and came back later. Did we watch the same documentary?

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neither particularly appeals to me.

Or most sane people.

quote:
....relying entirely on their ability instead.

I would add "and luck." Not that these people aren't really good at what they do, and clearly they are wired differently than almost every other person. But their luck seems to be operating on a very, very thin margin. It's not necessarily a "mistake" that kills them but a tiny bit of unplanned moisture on a foothold, or a handhold breaking away at the wrong time, or a rock falling or some other random but foreseeable event. All that on top of an even perfect technical climber will catch up with them in almost every case I would expect.

Sure, some win the lottery and keep playing, but the odds are just as bad the next time up the same pass.

If a movie makes more people try that, those people are making a big mistake in most cases. Not sure how to help with that. Hopefully parents can help kids understand this is not a good idea.

quote:
his GF did leave him alone during the climb. She left and came back later.

My point was she was self-absorbed with what she wanted him to do or not do and was getting in his head when she needed not to be leading up to climbs. Well, not his head perhaps but most normal people's. Did you notice that some of her first words after she came back were along the lines of "now it's over, you can quit."

I get that she may not want to live with that stress, but she chose him and what she knew him to be and what he does. We see advice along these lines in nearly every thread about crazy relationships where folks are trying to change another after being in the gig. Her trying to continue to change him seems likely to get him killed. She surely shouldn't be climbing with him.

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

But for the movie FOX would not have even reported as a "Free-Climbing" accident...

And of course the article got it wrong. The boy wasn't "free climbing." He was "free solo climbing" which is a huge distinction.

It's nuts and grossly irresponsible to allow a 13 year old to free solo a climb like that.

Unless I read the article incorrectly, he "ventured off alone" out of sight of his family until they heard him call for help.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Unless I read the article incorrectly, he "ventured off alone" out of sight of his family until they heard him call for help.

Sounds more like a boy, climbing up things like boys are want to do, got too far up and Darwin took-over.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I would be blaming the 13 year old's parental guidance, or lack there of even though he probably wandered off alone and they didn't realize he was doing it. We climbed crazy stuff as kids, it's thrilling and fun - that kid was probably having a blast right before he probably found himself stuck and frozen in fear.

And as someone stated - people every year die from absolute stupidity in the National Parks. Tourists will walk right past the sign that says "HEY, DON'T go down there, you might die" with their worn out flip flops and then slip/fall to their death.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I am 100% certain that this kid was not influenced in the least by the nutball human fly who is the subject of this thread.

You can expect more stories such as this one, and none of them will have anything at all to do with the psycho Spiderman.

And that's an unfortunate result of movies which cover high-end climbing. There are too many people with "I got this, hold my beer" attitudes out there.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have rock climbed and mountain climbed for something like 20-25 years. Haven't climbed in the past 2 years -- a combination of work schedule and commitment to developing rifle shooting skills. I was schooled by good instructors and mentors. When I traveled a lot due to work, I sometimes hired guides to introduce me to new climbing areas -- from California to West Virginia, from Mexico to Canada, even France.

I'm what many climbers call an intermediate in skills. I can lead most 5.9s with traditional gear, lead mid-5.10 bolted routes, and have followed a few low 5.11s.

I learned how to be the lead lead climber on the rope team, but find both leading and following enjoyable. Under the guidance of some of Colorado's best climbers, I learned how to develop new climbs. Many years ago, a buddy found an undeveloped "rock" in Central Colorado. "Rock" meaning a granite slab up to 400 feet tall, and maybe 800 feet side-to-side. Basically the entire face of mountain ridge.

I've developed over 100 pitches of rock climbs, most which had some levels of bolts for protection. When my buddy lost interest in climbing, I learned to climb solo with ropes for protection, then developed close to half of the rock's routes solo. I can honestly state that feeling of being high on a rock solo (with ropes, of course) is an amazing feeling -- when all is going well.

Climbing experiences that stand out to me:
- Watching the ravens fledge their young ones every couple of years on my rock. The parents got used to seeing me not far from their nesting area week after week.

- Being just west of the Air Force Academy, I often saw aircraft near my rock in the years following 9/11. I'll never forgot having a Cobra fly over the ridge I was on -- close enough to see the surprised look, and then a slight smile on the pilot's face.

- Topping out on big climbs, after exhausting day-long struggles. The Diamond of Longs Peak Colorado, 1500' limestone walls in Mexico, 1000' plus walls in Red Rocks Nevada, 2000' mountain climbs in the Bugaboos Canada, long bolt-protected routes in France.

Every climber with some level of lead climbing has effectively free soloed. It's part of the game, but one that we don't take lightly. There are some times where falling just isn't an option. I can honestly state that the such experiences are among the most intense that been through.

Honnold is in a different league, and it's a league that I have neither the desire nor the skills to participate in. I wish him well, but the long-term odds of free soloing are not in his favor.

I hired Peter Croft for two days of sport climbing in California's Owen River Gorge a number of years ago. Peter is well known for his amazing climbing and extensive free soloing. We talked about free soloing between routes, and over dinner. Peter realized that his hardest free solos were behind him. At that time he just wanted to continue climbing at more moderate levels, have fun, and enjoy the sport for a long time. I suspect getting married had something to do with it.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get that she may not want to live with that stress, but she chose him and what she knew him to be and what he does. We see advice along these lines in nearly every thread about crazy relationships where folks are trying to change another after being in the gig. Her trying to continue to change him seems likely to get him killed. She surely shouldn't be climbing with him.

Dude, that is the human condition. Women are horribly disappointed because they expect their mates to change. Men are horribly disappointed because they expect their mates not to. And somewhere, God has a good belly laugh at all of us.

Posts: 6918 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Sounds more like a boy, climbing up things like boys are want to do....

Not any more, there has to be a "cause" for that kind of behavior. Media, movies, rap music... Kids should just sit safely in front of their Iphone and play video games. Going outside is way too dangerous.

Dont let them watch auto racing, or moon landings, or football, or mountain climbing, or bike racing, or cave diving or free diving or wing suits, or parachuting or fighter pilots movies.....that shit is dangerous, it may influence them.....let them play inside...in a safe protected environment, not out in the sun.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Sounds more like a boy, climbing up things like boys are want to do....

Not any more, there has to be a "cause" for that kind of behavior. Media, movies, rap music... Kids should just sit safely in front of their Iphone and play video games. Going outside is way too dangerous.

Dont let them watch auto racing, or moon landings, or football, or mountain climbing, or bike racing, or cave diving or free diving or wing suits, or parachuting or fighter pilots movies.....that shit is dangerous, it may influence them.....let them play inside...in a safe protected environment, not out in the sun.

Well, things that might result in death when you try them for the first time unsupervised should probably be explained to them. 'Cause, you know, kid.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Fritz, I've done some climbing in and around CO Springs. Can you tell me the name of the place you helped develop? I'm wondering if I did any of your routes.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post