SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I've watched a documentary on this guy. A real life spider man. El Capitan at one time was considered 'unclimbable' and the first ascent took a huge amount of equipment and 47 days.

This guy just free climbed it in 3 hours and 56 minutes.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weath...fety-gear/ar-BBBUxBJ

Alex Honnold, a celebrated 31-year-old rock climber, on Saturday became the first person to scale Yosemite's El Capitan, a nearly 3,000-foot granite wall, without using ropes or other safety gear, according to National Geographic.

After his standard breakfast of oats, flax, chia seeds and blueberries, Honnold started the ropeless ascent — known as free soloing — at the first light of dawn, 5:32 a.m., and pulled himself over a rocky lip to the summit, a sandy ledge, 3 hours and 56 minutes later.

The climb, which National Geographic said may be the greatest feat of pure rock climbing in the history of the sport, was captured by a team of filmmakers, led by Jimmy Chin, one of Honnold’s longtime climbing partners, and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, for an upcoming National Geographic Documentary Films feature.

It was his second attempt to crack El Capitan. In November, Honnold made his first free-solo run at the granite behemoth, but quit after less than an hour because he said conditions did not feel right.

National Geographic said he had been training for the climb for a year at locations in the United States, China, Europe and Morocco, but kept it a secret from all but a small circle of friends and fellow climbers.

Honnold’s climbs are “so remarkable that it defies belief,” CBS correspondent Lara Logan said in a 2015 profile by CBS' 60 Minutes.

According to his website, Honnold "maintains his simple 'dirtbag-climber' existence, living out of his van and traveling the world in search of the next great vertical adventure."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I'm interested to watch what they put together from their filming.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got $20 says he doesn't make it long without rope / safety gear.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Saw this earlier and thought to myself I bet Jimmy was there to document it for Nat Geo and sure enough reading this he was.

Alex is a bit crazy for free soloing stuff but he doesn't just walk up to a wall and solo it. I'm sure he's climbed this route many times with a rope and knows every single hand and foot hold.

Freerider is a 5.12d. That's serious climbing with a rope.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/freerider/106261545

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear

The tree fuzz NPS rangers let him? Confused

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear

The tree fuzz NPS rangers let him? Confused
Would you climb up there to get him?

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I got $20 says he doesn't make it long without rope / safety gear.

Folks like him and Dean Potter have been doing similar climbs for years without incident.

Potter died BASE jumping, after many years of climbing, a lot of which was free soloing, speed climbing, etc.

These guys are the best in the world, long bored with regular climbing, so they push the envelopes. I wouldn't do it myself, but see nothing wrong with their choices.

ymmv

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What I wonder about is how someone like that gets down if he doesn’t go all the way to the top. I suppose it’s possible if one knows the route well enough that he doesn’t have to see where he’s putting his feet, but I would think that’s far more difficult than going up.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Down-climbing sucks. Most find it much more difficult, and generally avoid it if possible.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Ain't no Vulcans around to catch him if he slips.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

Big Grin

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
crazy, but bad ass.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What I wonder about is how someone like that gets down if he doesn’t go all the way to the top. I suppose it’s possible if one knows the route well enough that he doesn’t have to see where he’s putting his feet, but I would think that’s far more difficult than going up.

Same thought crossed my mind. Gives me the Willies just thinking about it.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Same thought crossed my mind. Gives me the Willies just thinking about it.

Once you get up there, you're committed. Sure 'something' could happen but, these guys are very, very familiar with these routes; You just don't fall out of bed and decide to free-solo such a route, much less a lengthy multi-pitch route like those found on El Cap. Climbing is like playing chess, you need to think several moves ahead, which hand goes where, which leg, how many moves will it take to reach that prominent hold or, overhang. When I was just getting into the outdoor industry, Lynn Hill's free climb of the Nose on El Cap was the pinnacle of climbing achievement. Today, these guys are free-soloing many of these routes.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/...9.php#photo-13024716

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Alex is the Beast.

After the first 35 feet the only difference between El Cap and the route that nearly did me in is how long you fall.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's true. 50ft, 500ft, whatever, you're fucked if you fall and hit the deck.

I've been sport climbing and bouldering since '92 and can barely get up a couple of single pitch 5.11b routes on my best day, with safety gear.

Climbing a 5.12 anything is an extraordinary feat under any circumstances.

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Here's the Nat Geo story with more detail.

http://www.nationalgeographic....nal-park-el-capitan/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pulled up a youtube video of him climbing and could not even finish watching it...I can't even imagine the physical and mental stamina it takes to do accomplish something like this.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:

Big Grin

My first thought as well. Glad I'm not the only one.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:

Big Grin

My first thought as well. Glad I'm not the only one.

-Rob

Guess what I'm reading everybody.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post