SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battle of Corregidor (1945)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle of Corregidor (1945) Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This is where my Dad was on this date in 1945. I was 7 months old.

Seizure of Malinta Hill

At the same time the 503rd paratroopers touched down at 'Topside', the first wave of 3rd Battalion under Lt. Col. Edward M. Postlethwait of the 24th Infantry Division's 34th Infantry Regiment (under Col. Aubrey S. "Red" Newman) waded ashore and established a beachhead at San Jose Point on the eastern end of Corregidor named 'Black Beach'. The succeeding waves of troops took the brunt of the hastily organized Japanese defense, and several landing craft and infantrymen became victims of landmines. The battalion pushed inland against sporadic resistance, mostly from groups coming out of the subterranean passages of the island to waylay the advancing American troops.

Two 3rd Battalion units—K and L Companies under Captains Frank Centanni and Lewis F. Stearns, respectively—managed to secure the road and both northern and southern entrances to Malinta Hill, while Capt. Gilbert Heaberlin's A Company stationed itself near the waterline. I Company—under 1st Lt. Paul Cain—occupied the North Dock and guarded the harbor. They intended to keep the Japanese troops inside the tunnel as other units moved inland, accompanied by tanks and flamethrowers; weapons that devastated pillboxes and tunnels in the surrounding areas held by the Japanese. For eight straight days until 23 February, these units staved off successive banzai charges, mortar attacks, and even a suicide squad of soldiers with explosives strapped to their bodies; they killed over 300 Japanese.

On 21 February at 21:30, Malinta Hill reacted like a volcano when several detonations in quick succession tore it asunder. The Japanese trapped inside had blown themselves up, and after the explosions and rock falls ceased, some 50 Japanese exited the cave to attack, the Americans shot them down. Two nights later, a similar attack happened. Finally, engineers went to work, poured large quantities of gasoline down the tunnels and set them afire, they then sealed the tunnels' entrances. After some time, silence finally reigned inside Malinta Hill.

There were no more organized Japanese attacks for the rest of the campaign. Only isolated pockets of resistance continued to fight on until 26 February, when Corregidor was finally declared secured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._of_Corregidor_(1945)

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The use of paratroopers in the Pacific is fascinating to me. One rarely thinks of their use there.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, The History channel carried a great mini-series on the war in the Pacific, all in color. Nimitz's island hopping strategy was constantly criticized by McCarthur.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Yesterday, The History channel carried a great mini-series on the war in the Pacific, all in color. Nimitz's island hopping strategy was constantly criticized by McCarthur.

The same buffoon who said he could easily brush aside the Chinese in Korea.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
The use of paratroopers in the Pacific is fascinating to me. One rarely thinks of their use there.

Yep. ETO Airborne gets all the recognition, but there were six largely unknown/forgotten US airborne drops in the PTO during WW2, performed by the 11th Airborne Division and the independent 503rd Parachute Infantry Regiment:

-503rd PIR dropped on New Guinea in September 1943
-503rd PIR dropped on Dutch New Guinea in July 1944.
-Elements of the 11th Airborne Division dropped on Luzon in the Phillipines in February 1945.
-Elements of the 11th Airborne Division dropped on Luzon during the Los Banos Raid in February 1945.
-503rd PIR dropped on Corregidor in February 1945.
-Elements of the 11th Airborne Division dropped yet again on Luzon in June 1945.

The British/Indian Army also made a combat jump in the CBI Theater, with elements of the 44th Airborne Division (India) dropping on Rangoon in May 1945.

And the Japanese made use of both large- and small-scale airborne operations throughout the war.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:

So General, how did Nimitz's island hopping differ from your leapfrogging strong points as you worked your way up the coast of New Guinea? Roll Eyes

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

The same buffoon who said he could easily brush aside the Chinese in Korea.

Patton was a much better general, but he was more interested in winning battles than politics and PR.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

So General, how did Nimitz's island hopping differ from your leapfrogging strong points as you worked your way up the coast of New Guinea? Roll Eyes

It didn't. MacArthur wanted to liberate the Philippines as fast as possible, and he viewed any other steategy as a drain on his resources.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

MacArthur was absolutely insistent that the Philippines be liberated, thus taking the campaign deep into the South Pacific, by way of Marshall's, Solomons, and New Guinea. Whereas Nimitz wanted to more or, less go straight across the Pacific, first the Marianas (Guam, Saipan, Tinian), invade Formosa (Taiwan), then strike Japan itself.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

Rod Serling of (Twilight Zone) writer was in a Paratrooper unit in the Pacific.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been to Corregidor; about 25 years ago while in Manila for work. It stands out like a trip to Normandy.

Going inside the caves and knowing that the blown up side tunnels still contain the Japanese soldiers behind all that rock gives you a minor sense of what took place on that island. At the time I was there, there were many artillery pieces silently rusting away.

What was surprising was the number of Japanese tourists and memorials to the Japanese dead. They were everywhere. It was eye opening to understand that the Japanese venerated their fallen as we do. I expected that from the western countries but didn't expect it to be so prevalent for Japan.

It was one of many interesting, but far apart places, in the pacific theater where the Greatest Generation served.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I too have been to the island about 30 years ago.

To me it was very sobering to see the many Japanese memorials and the amount of artillery pieces still there, the tunnels, and to imagine what a battle must have been like on the islands during the war.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
My father in laws dad was a paratrooper and fought there. He said he landed on a golf course. The greatest generation.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
Rod Serling of (Twilight Zone) writer was in a Paratrooper unit in the Pacific.

Yep. He took part in the 11th Airborne Division's combat drop on Luzon in February 1945.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post