SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford F350 fans updated with BedRug
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford F350 fans updated with BedRug Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted

Picked this up the other day, but I've been off working so much I've only driven it home and parked it in the garage. For those of you that have this type truck, what are your favorite upgrades? I can't spend too much for a bit, the taxes and plates about killed me.

It's a 2016 with 6700 miles on it. I sure do like the new quieter diesel engine. My 05 6.0 was much noisier. It doesn't smell either, wife loves that!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coloradohunter44,

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nice! Lariat, right? Short bed, so 26 gallon fuel tank. Depending on what you are using it for, I'd consider a larger tank. They're expensive though.

Upgrades I've done from most cost effective to least:

When not loaded, run 70 psi of air in the back tires instead of the 80 called for on the door sticker. Doing this smooths out the ride. I actually run 65, but sometimes it sets off the low pressure warning on the TPMS. Without a load, you have about 3,000 on the rear axle and 4,500 on the front. If 65psi is good enough for the front, it's more than enough for the rear.

4X4, so it doesn't have a rear anti-sway bar. If you aren't going off road, I'd consider Hellwig bars front and rear. The front is $210 and rear $230 or so on amazon. This made a big difference in my truck's handling and was well worth the money. I did them myself, The front was straight forward, but the rear required fiddling with the DEF tank to get the bolt in on the driver's side.

I replaced the stock shocks with adjustable Rancho RS9000XL. About $90 each from rockauto.com, but there was a buy 4 and get a rebate for the 4th one. This same rebate is going on now. It was a decent upgrade once I got the settings I liked. I change them when towing our 5th wheel or carrying a load. Makes a big difference in ride quality in the back over stock. Because of the overload springs, the rear effectively has two spring weights. Unloaded, the overloads never hit the stops mounted to the frame. I use a lighter setting on the shocks for this. Loaded, the overloads hit the stops and I use a heavier setting on the shocks. It gives a smoother ride unloaded and more controlled ride loaded.

I installed the Reese underbed 5th wheel/goose neck mount. This was $750 while it's a $350 option from the factory. The factory version is one piece. I really like the puck setup for my 5th wheel hitch, but my truck didn't have the factory option. I use a B&W Companion hitch. It's great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
trapper189, thanks for your time. That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. So nice to have experienced friends on here who will gladly share this info.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good..Bad.. I'm the
guy with the gun.
Picture of SIGMYSTER
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous Ford Truck!

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

Posts: 2123 | Location: N.E. OHIO | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that is my dream truck more or less. Won't ever have one, but glad you have yours. No advice on upgrades, but do enjoy it.
On second thought I would do a headache rack and a flatbed. Love your pup. Again, congrats.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Sweet ride. I'm still poking around in my '01 F250. It ain't quiet, nor does it smell good. ;-) I keep it clean and maintained; no plans to retire it. Although, those new ones do ride much smoother. I somewhat alleviated that by installing 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

If I were to get another one though, I hear that 6.7 is the shit. I had an '05 E350 with a 6.0; that was not a pleasant experience.

How on earth did you score one with such low miles?

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice truck! I'd put on mud flaps to help protect the paint, especially if you take it off pavement. Nice floor mats like Husky or Weathertech will help keep the carpet protected from winter slush. You may also want to consider some window vent visors. I like Weathertech. They help keep the water out if you like to have your window cracked when it rains or snows.
As mentioned, the Rancho 9000xl are good shocks for the money. I have them on my 2013, but will be changing to Fox when I put my 4" lift on.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
That is so sweet! I have a 95 F150, i wish i had a late model Super Duty, cant justify it now, but i stll wish!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one nice rig. Hope to get into one of those myself in about 2 1/2 years. You probably want to consider a Ranch Hand bumper or the like, living in Colorado.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
Nice truck! I'd put on mud flaps to help protect the paint, especially if you take it off pavement. Nice floor mats like Husky or Weathertech will help keep the carpet protected from winter slush. You may also want to consider some window vent visors. I like Weathertech. They help keep the water out if you like to have your window cracked when it rains or snows.
As mentioned, the Rancho 9000xl are good shocks for the money. I have them on my 2013, but will be changing to Fox when I put my 4" lift on.

Mud Flaps and floor mats. I forgot, I did those as well. Both are Husky brand and I'm happy with them. I did front and rear mud flaps and they really cut down on the crud getting thrown up by the tires.

quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
trapper189, thanks for your time. That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. So nice to have experienced friends on here who will gladly share this info.

You're welcome. There are so many knowledgeable people here on a wide variety of topics, I usually just read and learn. That's a great color on that truck.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Dog

Posts: 53 | Registered: October 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That thing needs a big-ass deer catcher.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickc007:
Beautiful Dog

Thanks. That's Candy, my 8 year old Llewellin setter. We both love her to pieces.

FBLM LGB!

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Very nice truck.

I had heard the newer diesels are quieter and less smelly. That is a good thing as you couldn't give me a diesel prior to that. Wonder what kind of mileage you can expect?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Nice rig!
I have the long bed version in dark green and love it.
I would agree with the shocks and rear sway bar add on.
The factory shocks are pure garbage. I replaced mine at 3000 miles and they were shot with Bilstein 5100 series.
I also replaced the front springs with ones that gave me a two inch front lift to level the truck out.
It looks much better IMHO.
I also had hidden steps installed and love them as well since my truck didn't come with any.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Good looking truck. I've got one of these in my 2015 F-150 and highly recommend it, locking console insert from Tuffy.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/...-console-insert.aspx

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
WOW! Good looking vehicle. Best of luck with it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Beautiful truck. I'd love an F-250 4x4 crew cab with the clearance lights across the roof and the rear seat removed. Put in a sleeping platform with pad. For road trips.

That fits in the garage? With the door closed? What a luxury, stepping into a protected truck during inclimate weather. Cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter.

No Texas blizzard would stop me in that (December 2015!). Only the Governor or State Police. Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind saying, what did you pay for it?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Lovely truck. I just got a F250 on Saturday!

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post