SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Office 365 vs. Libre Office for Mac - UPDATED
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Office 365 vs. Libre Office for Mac - UPDATED Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My impression -- gut feeling -- after playing with Numbers a little, is that it is better suited for "gee whiz" presentations with graphs and pie charts and other visual stuff, than for the simple record keeping that I need.

Granted, what I'm doing would be better done with something like Access or FileMaker, but it started out as a quick and dirty Excel spreadsheet years ago and I haven't taken the time to re-do it in a DB application.

Basically, I have a fleet of rental equipment that is placed in a bunch of hardware stores that act as my rental agents. I keep an inventory list of the equipment, and which store each item is placed in. When I visit a group of stores, I need to print the section of the spreadsheet that contains information for each of those stores, so I need to be able to select the stores on today's route for printing, and print the list with a page break for each store. Easy enough in Excel or LibreOffice, a royal pain the time I tried it with Numbers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
The biggest pull for NeoOffice is that it integrates the OS services like a native app.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, and I'm not going to shell out fifteen bucks to find out (I don't see any "try before you buy" option for NewOffice).

Can you give a brief explanation?

Maybe my question is too much like the one on the final exam: "Define the universe in 25 words or less. Give three examples."

Sorry I missed the question until now.

It mostly refers to the way the app handles stuff at the system level. For example, NeoOffice has a look and feel more like a native app, in that the floating menus and highlighting are more Mac like. Also, file locking is native, which is important if you have multiple user's working on the same set of documents on a cloud drive like Dropbox. Perhaps most useful to the casual user, NeoOffice supports the native file versioning introduced with Lion (10.7) that allows you to browse back through versions of the file in case you wish to revert back.

These aren't necessarily huge features, but if it is important to you, it may be worth spending $10 every couple of years.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After doing some research I discovered that through my wife's job and daughter's school we were eligible for free downloads for at least two computers of office 2016 (through 365) and just for shits and gigs I downloaded it on a third and it seems to be working fine.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
After doing some research I discovered that through my wife's job and daughter's school we were eligible for free downloads for at least two computers of office 2016 (through 365) and just for shits and gigs I downloaded it on a third and it seems to be working fine.

Good solution - glad it worked out for you.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
For about $65 a year, office 365 not only gives you a lot of programs but also 1TB of cloud space. If you've been wanting a cloud drive, $65 a year is a good price for cloud drive 1TB plus you get the programs for "free."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post