SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joe Biden’s beef with Bill Ackman sparks heated exchange and presidential chatter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Biden’s beef with Bill Ackman sparks heated exchange and presidential chatter Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Some say former Vice President Joe Biden is too old to run for president in 2020, but he still knows how to throw a verbal punch -- just ask financier Bill Ackman.

The controversial hedge fund manager, known for his losing bets on stocks like Herbalife (HLF) and Valeant (VRX), got into a verbal tussle with Biden at a private dinner during recent investment conference. The incident, which hasn’t’ been reported, stunned an A-list group of attendees who witnessed Biden’s verbally scolding Ackman, according to three people who were present.

Some of the people present say Biden’s tough demeanor underscores that he hasn’t mellowed even at the age of 74, and that he still has the fire to run for public office, including president, which he has long desired.

“Biden was in rare form,” said one person with direct knowledge of the brouhaha. “I can’t believe it has never leaked out.”

The altercation occurred at this year’s SkyBridge Alternatives (SALT) Conference, a popular Wall Street confab held in May and started by hedge fund impresario Anthony Scaramucci. Both Biden and Ackman were featured speakers during the event.

Through his long political career as a U.S. senator and as President Barack Obama’s vice president, Biden has been known to make blunt, sometimes politically incorrect comments that can ruffle feathers. Ackman, meanwhile, may be best known for his long, public and so far unsuccessful struggle against multi-level marketing outfit Herbalife, which he called a fraud and has shorted the stock, betting he has said the company will implode fall to zero.

Shares of Herbalife are now trading above $70.

Indeed Biden made news at the conference for his public comments about the loser of the 2016 presidential election, his fellow Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. “I never thought she was a great candidate. I thought I was a great candidate,” he said, raising speculation that he might himself run for president.

Then during a private VIP dinner that night the question of why Biden didn’t run for president in 2016 was raised once again, by former Florida governor and 2016 GOP presidential contender Jeb Bush, who asked Biden “why didn’t you run?”

Biden explained that part of the decision stemmed from the death of his son Beau Biden, who died of brain cancer in 2015. The room grew quiet as Biden became emotional, and said: “I’m sorry…I’ve said enough.”

That’s when Ackman blurted out “Why? That’s never stopped you before.”

The formal, and understated dinner conversation suddenly turned tense, according to three people who were present and confirmed both the substance and the wording of Biden’s responses.
Biden, these people say, turned to someone seated near him, and asked, “who is this asshole?,” a reference to Ackman.

Then he turned directly to Ackman and stated: “look, I don't know who you are, wiseass, but never disrespect the memory of my dead son!” these people say.

Ackman attempted what was described as an apology, to which Biden said, "just shut the hell up"

VIP dinners at the SALT Conference are moderated by Scaramucci, currently an adviser to President Trump and as Fox has reported, a likely appointee to a mid-level post in the administration. Scaramucci instructs the groups that the dinner conversation is private and strictly off the record.

Through a spokesman, Scaramucci had no comment. The stunned group of attendees also included 60 Minutes reporter Lara Logan, former N.J. governor and Goldman Sachs chief Jon Corzine, comedian and talk show host, Steve Harvey, hedge fund billionaire Steve Cohen, former top Obama aide Valerie Jarrett, and former Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou.

A spokesman for Ackman disputed “the idea that there was an argument or altercation between Joe Biden and Bill Ackman.” The spokesman added: “Bill had a great time at the dinner and enjoyed spending time with the former vice president.”

The spokesman, however, would not dispute the words people at the dinner attributed to Biden during his interaction with Ackman.

Biden, for his part, has privately mused that he may indeed run for president in 2020, which would make him the oldest major presidential candidate in the country’s history.

But people who know him say he is physically fit and still very much living and breathing politics.

"Joe Biden continues to show that he has plenty energy and plenty of fire,” said Democratic political consultant Hank Sheinkopf. “No matter his age, don’t count him out to run for president if an opportunity arises."

Ackman’s Pershing Square hedge fund has had a difficult three years though his performance is better of late. In 2016 he was down 13.5%, amid losses from his short position of Herbalife and stake in the trouble pharmaceutical company Valeant.

For the first quarter of 2017 Pershing Square is down 2.3%.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe Biden is one creepy dude.

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
Groucho Marx

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s when Ackman blurted out “Why? That’s never stopped you before.”

The formal, and understated dinner conversation suddenly turned tense, according to three people who were present and confirmed both the substance and the wording of Biden’s responses.
Biden, these people say, turned to someone seated near him, and asked, “who is this asshole?,” a reference to Ackman.

Then he turned directly to Ackman and stated: “look, I don't know who you are, wiseass, but never disrespect the memory of my dead son!” these people say.

Ackman attempted what was described as an apology, to which Biden said, "just shut the hell up"

Seemed like an appropriate response to me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Although at times Biden seems to speak in just off the wall ways, this seems to be one his more appropriate responses.

On an unrelated note, there is no way in hell I could be in a room with Valerie Jarrett. The urge to Spartan kick her out of her chair would be too great.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Joe Biden will never be President.

Hillary Clinton will never be President.

Eric Holder will never be President.

Joe Biden is a joke.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Joe Biden will never be President.

Hillary Clinton will never be President.

Eric Holder will never be President.

Joe Biden is a joke.

Lordy I hope you're right. Of course, a lot of us said the very same things about our current POTUS. Even calling him an ass-clown, but hey! He's a righteous ass-clown if there ever was one. The same can't be said about those other guys.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, do we really need to have this conversation again? It's just as before- we have people worried about some Democrat twit being elected. I say it's not going to happen and then as sure as I'm sitting here, someone comes along and says "Gee, I hope you're right." No, really. I mean it. I can't tell you how many times members have responded to my political declarations in exactly the same way. It's farcical, really, it is.

We're just not going to do this again. We won the Goddamned election, OK?

It's 2017. Trump's going to be POTUS a while. Please relax.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
On election day, 2020, Biden will be a couple of weeks short of 78 years old. I just don't see the Dems nominating him. Whatever and whenever his chance was, he missed it.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
This is the guy who was nominated by Obama for Vice President, a decision which essentially shocked the political scene. I welcome the nomination in due course.

Presidential chatter? Biden? That's no chatter, that's the Democratic Party death rattle you hear.

For now, I'm gonna enjoy me some Trump.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
When assholes collide...

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Biden calling Ackman an asshole certainly validates the old adage that it takes one to know one.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Why is it every time I see Biden speak, all I hear is "Four minutes til Wapner". The man is one of the biggest morons walking the planet. Oh, and keep your wives and daughters away from him too.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Is it a coincidence that both Biden and Megyn Kelley are Syracuse University graduates? And that Terry McAwful Gov of Virginia is also from there? That town has been a cesspool spawning Demofwits for decades.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Is it a coincidence that both Biden and Megyn Kelley are Syracuse University graduates? And that Terry McAwful Gov of Virginia is also from there? That town has been a cesspool spawning Demofwits for decades.
I had a narrow escape. Back in the early 1960s I was engaged to a Syracuse graduate. Fortunately I managed to piss her off and she threw the ring in my face. Whew!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He was too senile and crazy to run last year. The fact that the DNC PR machine is touting him as a candidate for 2020 shows how desperate they are right now.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post