SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mac Experts....step inside please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac Experts....step inside please Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I have a late 2012 Mac Mini with a 2.6GHz Core i7 chip and 16GB of RAM. 1TB hard drive (non-SSD) that is 25% full.

Lately I've been getting a lot of beachball time. It typically happens whenever I ask the computer to do a task. For example, if I want to open a document, I'll click on the File menu - and get the beachball for a few seconds before the menu appears. Or if hit Cmd-P to print and the beachball appears for a bit before the print menu appears.

The activity monitor shows memory used of 13.96GB out of 16GB and memory pressure is green. CPU usage is 76% idle.

Any suggestions for where to look to figure out why I'm getting the beachball all the time? Do I need to upgrade?

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it may be doing a lot of swapping, whether context switching between multiple applications or paging virtual memory in and out. Do you have a lot of applications running, especially big fat memory hog applications? A web browser with a lot of tabs open can suck up a lot of memory and a lot of CPU cycles for example.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
A couple of operating system releases in the last few years have been very taxing on system resources. The SSD upgrade made a big difference for me, and is probably going to help you as well. Using the 'Dr. Cleaner Pro' app to free memory and clean junk files helps quite a bit. You've got enough processor power and memory that an upgrade of your Mac should't be necessary, other than replacing the non-SSD drive.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Sounds like it may be doing a lot of swapping, whether context switching between multiple applications or paging virtual memory in and out. Do you have a lot of applications running, especially big fat memory hog applications? A web browser with a lot of tabs open can suck up a lot of memory and a lot of CPU cycles for example.

I do have a lot of applications running, including Chrome browser wth several windows open, including one with streaming video. BUt the activity meter doesn't show CPU usage or memory getting too high.

Do I need more RAM, better CPU, both? The mac mini is maxed out so I maybe need a new computer? If so, I may have to go back to windows...the Macs are crazy expensive to spec out with high end CPUs and max RAM.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DPeticca
posted Hide Post
Your computer is fine. You just need to upgrade the drive. Get an SSD.

You can buy a Samsung 500 GB SSD for about 200$ on Amazon.
Samsung 500GB

Posts: 147 | Location: Spring City, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... as your CPU and memory aren't being taxed, that spinning disk is your next consideration.

Italia and DPeticca both mentioned SSD - follow that path.

The Samsung mentioned - good choice.

A lot cheaper than a new computer ... then again, a new Windows computer will give you a faster i5/i7 processor, maybe more memory ... and an SSD.

... it's one of those arguments, isn't it? $200 now on a replacement drive (SSD). Or $xxx - not $x,xxx - for something new.

Do some browsing and research - Best Buy, Fry's, Newegg, Dell on line ...

Or go get a Surface or a touch screen tablet. Who needs a keyboard? Well maybe the one app you use a couple of times ... then you might have to upgrade your WiFi/router and so on ... sorry about that.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I would monitor disk activity via the activity monitor to see if that is your bottleneck. If so, you might want to consider an SSD.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Doubt it's because you need a new HD, but it is a nice upgrade to SSD.

Assuming you have done a shut down and restart...
have you used the disk utility on it?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I do have a lot of applications running, including Chrome browser wth several windows open, including one with streaming video. BUt the activity meter doesn't show CPU usage or memory getting too high.

Do I need more RAM, better CPU, both? The mac mini is maxed out so I maybe need a new computer? If so, I may have to go back to windows...the Macs are crazy expensive to spec out with high end CPUs and max RAM.

Guide to using Activity Monitor may be of help when trying to narrow down the culprit.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Are you running an anti-virus or similar program?

My iMac is 2008 running the latest OS. No beachball issues at all.

Posts: 9399 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Some useful responses so far. Let me add mine.

First, Activity Monitor is the place to go to see what's hogging your resources. When it's open you can sort processes by CPU, RAM, Energy, Network utilization, etc. You'll likely see processes running that you may not have a clue about. Things like launchd, assistantd, identityservicesd, and the like (the "d" at the end indicates "daemon" processes - headless, faceless applications that usually start at boot time). If something is consuming a lot of resources, you can kill it. Most daemon processes will restart automatically.

Here's my helpful hint: If you don't leave your Mac running overnight, you may have clogged up your system logs. The Mac, with its Unix background, has jobs that run automatically to do "housekeeping." These jobs usually run in the 2:00am -ish time frame, and if you never let your Mac run them, things can slow down.

You can run these tasks manually, if you're okay using the command line. Simply open the terminal program and issue the command

sudo /etc/periodic/daily (you will be asked to provide your superuser password - that's usually yours)

You can also run

sudo /etc/periodic/weekly
sudo /etc/periodic/monthly

These processes clear out and archive your system logs and other cruft.

While you have your Terminal window open, why not run the following:

sudo diskutil verifyVolume / (this will do a disk check, much like Disk Utility)

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I had same symptoms. Replaced with SSD. Much speedier. Owc has install video.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

First, Activity Monitor is the place to go to see what's hogging your resources. When it's open you can sort processes by CPU, RAM, Energy, Network utilization, etc. You'll likely see processes running that you may not have a clue about. Things like launchd, assistantd, identityservicesd, and the like (the "d" at the end indicates "daemon" processes - headless, faceless applications that usually start at boot time). If something is consuming a lot of resources, you can kill it. Most daemon processes will restart automatically.

Here's my helpful hint: If you don't leave your Mac running overnight, you may have clogged up your system logs. The Mac, with its Unix background, has jobs that run automatically to do "housekeeping." These jobs usually run in the 2:00am -ish time frame, and if you never let your Mac run them, things can slow down.

You can run these tasks manually, if you're okay using the command line. Simply open the terminal program and issue the command

sudo /etc/periodic/daily (you will be asked to provide your superuser password - that's usually yours)

You can also run

sudo diskutil verifyVolume / (this will do a disk check, much like Disk Utility)

Do these jobs run if the computer is on, but asleep?

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

You can also run

No. When the computer sleeps it is in low power mode. Everything "hibernates" and wakes up when the computer is awakened. For the automatic scripts to run, the computer must be actually running. On my Macs, I set the computer to never sleep, the display to sleep after twenty minutes, and the hard disk to sleep whenever possible. I also have "Power Nap" enabled. These are all set in the "Energy Saver" portion of the Preferences pane.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
With only 25% of your drive storage in use, this sounds like it could be related to the "Spotlight" beachball slowdown. (Related to external drives, primarily).

Apple OSX does a lot of things well, but when it comes to external drives, (and Bootcamp/windows partitions) you can occasionally see a slowdown/beachball when doing things as you describe.

If this is the case, here's the fix-

Stop Spotlight Search Stalls & Beachballs on Macs with External Drives-

Open System Preferences from the Apple  menu.

Choose “Spotlight” and go to the “Privacy” tab – anything placed here will be excluded from Spotlight indexing and search, so we’re going to put the external drive(s) that are spinning up and slowing things down here.

Go to the Finder and drag and drop the external hard drive root icons into the Privacy tab of Spotlight.

Exit out of System Preferences and summon Spotlight as usual, there should be no more beach balling as the external drives are no longer accessed by the search function. (Which is a downside of doing this but worth a try).

One other possibility is having energy settings selected to "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". Try de-selecting this (Under energy saver). I see this happen to my wife frequently as she will open a document on an external drive and work on it for lengthy periods. When she goes to "print" the drive has sometimes gone to sleep and you'll get a similar beachball while it wakes the drive.

I do a good bit of Photoshop and video editing and I always turn off the sleep options (hard disk, display, computer sleep) when doing heavy work-

Good luck!

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Please forgive the quick thread-drift,

I'm still pretty new with the Mac, (Mac-Air). Is there a quick way to show the desktop without having to minimize everything on the screen first?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

I'm still pretty new with the Mac, (Mac-Air). Is there a quick way to show the desktop without having to minimize everything on the screen first?

On older versions of OS X, it's one of the Exposé keys. Starting with OS X 10.7, Exposé has been replaced by Mission Control.

The default to instantly show desktop is F11. On a MacBook you will have to press fnF11, as the keys are used for controlling volume by default. (FN key is on the lower left side of your MB Air).

If that's not the right one, look in your System Preferences to see which one it is.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

You can also run

With respect to fphuan, while mostly accurate, his post contains several errors of fact, and misrepresents the current strategy for running periodic tasks in macOS.

First, to answer your direct question: no, these jobs do not run when the computer is sleeping.

The following refers to macOS 10.12 "Sierra." OS X versions back to Lion are similar, but not exactly the same. Snow Leopard and previous are very different.

In fact, the "jobs" listed by fpuhan, are actually folders that contain maintenance shell scripts. The folders cannot be manually "run" from the command line, but the individual scripts within them can. You can Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder... -> /etc/periodic/daily to view the daily scripts, most of then are descriptively-named. Please do not try to run them from the Finder.

The traditional BSD periodic and cron subsystems have been merged into a facility called "launchd" (Launch Daemon), with a programmatic interface through a program called launchctl.

The periodic scripts are run via the system program /usr/libexec/periodic-wrapper under the control of launchd. The system documentation explicitly warns against running this "by hand."

Launchd jobs are controlled by XML plist files in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, specifically /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.periodic-daily.plist for the "daily" jobs. Here is what happens:

- launchd is started at boot time
- launchd reads /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.periodic-daily.plist and starts /usr/libexec/periodic-wrapper daily
- periodic-wrapper reads /etc/defaults/periodic.conf, waits until the right time, then runs the scripts in /etc/periodic/daily sending a typescript of the session to /var/log/daily.out

(this sequence as described is extremely simplified, and omits several technicalities and possibilities).

An easy way to check and see if these jobs have been run is to check for the existence of, and time stamps on their respective logs, /var/log/daily.out, [code]/var/log/weekly.out[/i], and /var/log/monthly.out. The contents of these logs may be of interest as well.

There is lots of documentation on the macOS Launch facility in man pages, and from Apple for those who want to dig into this in more detail.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

On older versions of OS X, it's one of the Exposé keys. Starting with OS X 10.7, Exposé has been replaced by Mission Control.

The default to instantly show desktop is F11. On a MacBook you will have to press fnF11, as the keys are used for controlling volume by default. (FN key is on the lower left side of your MB Air).

If that's not the right one, look in your System Preferences to see which one it is.

FN + F11 = THANK YOU!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My machine of the same vintage was turning into a turd, doing much the same thing. I maxed out the ram and that helped a lot.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post