SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What I Wouldn’t Give for a Shave That Isn’t Woke
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What I Wouldn’t Give for a Shave That Isn’t Woke Login/Join 
posted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/w...e-11617567413?page=1

Maybe I was wrong to think conservatives should refrain from adopting the bullying, boycotting tactics of the left. I made the case against emulating progressives in these pages last summer as I lamented the rise of the woke corporation, documenting how many of my favorite companies embrace values antithetical to my own. But it’s increasingly clear that the sharp increase in corporate virtue signaling after George Floyd’s death wasn’t a passing trend but a sea change. Perhaps it’s time for conservatives to boycott companies that hate us.

Coca-Cola and Delta, a pair of Atlanta-based companies I’ve patronized for many years, became progressive boycott targets this month for allegedly not doing enough to stop Republicans in the state from passing an election-security law that’s been recast absurdly as a civil-rights violation. The companies haven’t withstood it well.

In an interview Wednesday with CNBC, James Quincey, Coca-Cola’s CEO and virtue signaler in chief, called the law “unacceptable” and “a step backwards,” but didn’t explain why. CNBC host Sara Eisen never asked if he feared a conservative backlash. Instead she pressed him on why Coca-Cola didn’t “publicly oppose this before.”

Mr. Quincey’s comments didn’t placate the woke mob on Twitter, with some insisting that Coke hadn’t condemned the legislation soon enough or forcefully enough. Delta CEO Ed Bastian appeared to be reading from the Coca-Cola script later the same day. His company released a statement condemning the law, and Mr. Bastian said in a memo to employees that the reform was “unacceptable and does not match Delta’s values.”

As the Journal’s editorial board has pointed out, the legislation is in no way a return to Jim Crow, but rather an honest effort to improve election integrity.

Coca-Cola, Delta, Microsoft and other companies my family supports all but called the legislation racist, implying that those, like me, who support it are bigots. As distasteful as this is, I can’t say I’m surprised. When I look around my house, I see many products from woke companies that want me to know how strongly they disagree with me on pretty much every issue of the day.

Start with Patagonia, one of my favorite clothing-and-gear outfitters. The top of its website exhorts visitors to “act now” to stop climate change, warning that “extinction looms for more than one million species of plants and animals.” Maybe so, but what about shoppers who are there just to pick up a $35 “live simply” T-shirt? The homepage tab next to “shop” is “activism.” Click if you dare, because you’re in for a world of lefty indoctrination. Patagonia even endorses political candidates. You won’t be surprised to learn that none of them in 2020 had an “R” after their names.

Moving to the bathroom, I encounter my progressive razors. No, not Gillette. I ditched those in 2019 after the company released a ludicrously woke ad decrying toxic masculinity. But last month I learned that the new brand I’d chosen, Harry’s, had pulled its advertising from the Daily Wire, a conservative website I like. The razor company fled after a Twitter user with 29 followers complained that one of the Daily Wire’s podcasts “is spreading homophobic and transphobic content.” You might think it’d be easier to find a politically neutral shave, given that a majority of men are Republicans and companies generally play to their customer base. But this reality is apparently lost on Harry’s—and Gillette, or rather its parent company, Procter & Gamble.

Another P&G brand my family uses—Pantene shampoo—recently released a commercial about the life of a young transgender girl and her lesbian moms. “She has always been super gender creative, and hair has been a big part of her transition,” says one of the moms. At the end of the commercial, a banner reads, “PANTENE Family is #BEAUTIFULGBTQ—Proud to Support Transgender Visibility.” The ad has about six times as many dislikes as likes on YouTube, but that hasn’t given the company pause. It tweeted that “transphobia has no place in our world or in our feed.”

Maybe Pantene believes that’ll be the extent of the blowback. Many companies take Republican customers for granted. Perhaps they’re right. I still have subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu and Disney+, even though many of their offerings, particularly documentaries, advance left-wing agendas.

But there’s money to be made on standing up to cancel culture. Last summer, after I complained that my preferred coffee company had gone too far left, readers suggested I buy from Black Rifle Coffee Co. “They support Veterans and the coffee is very good,” one reader wrote me. He was right and word is spreading. The company’s revenue nearly doubled in 2020—a year when every other business seemed to be going woke.

Unlike many on the left, I’m fine with companies not taking sides, and I don’t expect every company I patronize to embrace my views. But if Pantene can stand firm on behalf of transgender visibility, perhaps it’s time for conservatives to stiffen their spines, too. It doesn’t seem like too much to ask that the businesses I patronize refrain from actively and loudly despising me.

WSJ EDITORIAL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always vote with my wallet.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:

Me too, and my feet also.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go old school safety razor.

You can buy blades from numerous sources and some guys make a big thing out of the equipment.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I was wrong to think conservatives should refrain from adopting the bullying, boycotting tactics of the left.

I concur. Next up: conservative gun owners who give other conservative gun owners shit for wanting to move out of commie states, like I see so often, including a few posts here the other day where the poster imagined himself the second coming of Patton. Roll Eyes

The ways we have been doing things has not worked. It’s time to do different things.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't patronize a lot of companies and business that I used too that have gone woke.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All news items posted in thso forum require a link.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Grow a beard, stop buying any blades.

Half the country stopped shaving they'd take notice....

The problem for me boycotting Coke and Delta is that I quit drinking Diet Coke 5 years ago, and haven't flown on Delta in years, having a low cost no frills alternative airport close by....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
All news items posted in thso forum require a link.

If the link only provides a partial article because of the paywall, I suggest the poster who has access (in this case the wsj) should copy and paste it in its entirety.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
The article was posted in its entirety.

posted Hide Post
Georgia House Votes To Strip Delta Of $35 Million Tax Credit

Georgia House Votes To Strip Delta Of $35 Million Tax Credit For Flipping On Election Law Support

The Georgia state House passed an amendment Wednesday that would strip Delta Air Lines of a multimillion-dollar tax break after the company blasted the state’s new election laws.

Republican Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed into law last week a bill overhauling his state’s election procedures designed to increase security and address issues that surrounded the 2020 election. Delta initially supported key measures of the legislation after it was signed, then backtracked days later amid calls for boycotts pushed by left-wing publications.

Delta CEO Ed Bastian said the new election law “does not match Delta’s values.” Republicans in the state House, angered by Bastian’s sudden flip on the election overhaul, hit back at the company by voting to strip it of a jet fuel tax break worth over $35 million a year, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“They like our public policy when we’re doing things that benefit them,” House Speaker David Ralston said. “You don’t feed a dog that bites your hand. You got to keep that in mind sometimes.”

The measure stalled in the Senate where lawmakers were uncomfortable with escalating the fight and others did not want to punish Delta while it is recovering from business hits taken during the pandemic. The hesitancy frustrated some GOP lawmakers, according to the Journal-Constitution.

Delta is the largest private employer in the state and has lost the tax break several times in the past for picking fights with the GOP legislature. The airline lost the tax break in 2015 when its then CEO taunted legislators, calling them “chicken” for not wanting to raise taxes for infrastructure improvements. The company lost it again in 2018 for stripping the NRA of a discount in response to a mass shooting.

In a statement immediately after the law was signed, Delta expressed support for key parts of the legislation while saying that more work needed to be done.

“Over the past several weeks, Delta engaged extensively with state elected officials in both parties to express our strong view that Georgia must have a fair and secure election process, with broad voter participation and equal access to the polls. The legislation signed this week improved considerably during the legislative process, and expands weekend voting, codifies Sunday voting and protects a voter’s ability to cast an absentee ballot without providing a reason,” Delta said in a memo. “Nonetheless, we understand concerns remain over other provisions in the legislation, and there continues to be work ahead in this important effort.”

Days later, CEO Ed Bastian issued a statement blasting Georgia over the voting reforms, calling the final bill “unacceptable” and saying it “does not match Delta’s values.”

“Last week, the Georgia legislature passed a sweeping voting reform act that could make it harder for many Georgians, particularly those in our Black and Brown communities, to exercise their right to vote,” Bastian claimed. “Since the bill’s inception, Delta joined other major Atlanta corporations to work closely with elected officials from both parties, to try and remove some of the most egregious measures from the bill. We had some success in eliminating the most suppressive tactics that some had proposed.”

“However, I need to make it crystal clear that the final bill is unacceptable and does not match Delta’s values,” he added.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:
Go old school safety razor.

You can buy blades from numerous sources and some guys make a big thing out of the equipment.

This is excellent advice.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Long-running thread about equipment here:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5870047154

I haven’t had a “woke shave” in about two years now. Wished I’d switched much sooner, I get much better shaves with DE and SE razors thanks I ever got with anything modern.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I use an electric. I bought the last one something like thirteen years ago. Other than the electricity to charge it, it doesn't cost me a nickel to run. So even if the company is lefty (and it's headquartered in Holland, so it likely is), it's not like they're making any money off of me.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The problem is the lefties do this also, so the companies have to choose. And I suspect there are more of them than us, and they're younger, so the companies consider them more desirable.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The problem is the lefties do this also, so the companies have to choose. And I suspect there are more of them than us, and they're younger, so the companies consider them more desirable.

quote:
quote:

We work, they don’t.

We have no debts, they owe $175,000 for a gender studies degree.

This battle will be won by who has more disposable income (see the booming gay tourism industry as an example).

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
quote:

But we have a LOT more money than them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'll respond to both these quotes together, since they're very similar.

While some of the lefties have a lot of debt, they also spend a lot. That's what the companies care about. Whether they're borrowing to fund that, they don't care. Debt has been pretty cheap and easy lately, and, of course, the government is not just giving out money.

Also, the companies figure older people (who tend to be more conservative), and set in their ways and brand choices. They're left virtue signaling may cost them a little of their business, but they're betting not much. On the flip side, younger people are less set in their brand choices, and are much easier to influence, and care significantly about left wing virtue signaling. Remember the Nike Colin Kaepernick campaign. That's why they did it, and they got a good return from it (despite what conservatives thought.)

And as far as conservatives having more money. Do you consider Bill Gates a conservative? Jeff Bezos? Elon Musk? There are a lot of VERY rich liberals out there.

quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:
quote:

quote:
quote:

We work, they don’t.

We have no debts, they owe $175,000 for a gender studies degree.

This battle will be won by who has more disposable income (see the booming gay tourism industry as an example).

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

But we have a LOT more money than them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I say we slam these mealy mouth companies in a way they can’t shrug off. For their lack of wokeness.

Why does MLB still require a racist photo ID to pick up a ticket? Or to enter some facilities? Or to buy an adult beverage? Why do they still allow regular season games in Atlanta?

Why is Coca Cola still headquartered in Atlanta, the capital of the racist state of Georgia?

Why does Delta still fly into and out of ATL, the largest airport in the racist state of Georgia?

They want to play a stupid game, let’s make them win stupid prizes. We may not be their target consumers, but we can drive them away.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post