SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mississippi set to pass law regarding left lane slow pokes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mississippi set to pass law regarding left lane slow pokes Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Wish they would do it here in SC. It's a law in KY and I knew a state trooper that would pull a lot of people over for it. He'd give them a little over a minute before pulling them. Signs all over stating to keep right except to pass. They'd make a killing pulling over idiots in this state with that law.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We passed a SLOW POKE law here a couple of years ago and I can assure the good folks in MS that if their cops are anything like ours, they have absolutely no reason - zero - to worry about getting pulled over either for violating the SLOW POKE law or racial profiling. Passing it was a huge waste of our legislators time and the citizens' money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Illinois did this several years ago..... Now if we could get the police to enforce it!

This right here is the majority of the problem, the laws are on the books in most states, but the cops won't enforce them

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
We have the same kind of law in CO, it does not work.

Well, it worked in Germany. I assume they still have that law about homesteading the passing lane.

And the fines are large enough that they encourage drivers to only use the passing lane for passing.

Start fines at something like 100 bucks and it might work.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Illinois did this several years ago..... Now if we could get the police to enforce it!

This!

Seems to me that traffic laws are not all that rigorously enforced. And make the fines big enough so they become a deterrent!

Bugs the crap out of me to see drivers homesteading the left lane. Especially when you have cars in both lanes screwing around at 10-20 MPH below speed limit. And the ones that come screaming up in the right lane, doing well above the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic?

Burn their asses! Make the fines hefty enough, not to mention the "points" and things will change.

On top of that, consider a 4 lane highway in this day and age with a 55MPH limit! Why?

Still a holdover from back in the first phony oil crisis?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The police have too much to do already.

If people were any kind of decent we wouldn't want a law like this in the first place.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Revenue enhancement for the police. That's all this is. Just another excuse for the police to pull over people with out of state plates, to see if they can confiscate everything these people have.

Disgusting. Truly disgusting

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's only one section of I10 that is 4 lanes, from exit 34 to exit 50, it's the stretch between Gulfport and ocean springs, other than that I like this idea

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
There's only one section of I10 that is 4 lanes, from exit 34 to exit 50, it's the stretch between Gulfport and ocean springs, other than that I like this idea

All interstates are a minimum of 4 lanes, 2 each way...

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Clearly an infringement on the rights of the inconsiderate and/or stupid.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I wish the police would do more "revenue collecting" on left lane assholes. Lets call it a stupid tax.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
We passed a SLOW POKE law here a couple of years ago and I can assure the good folks in MS that if their cops are anything like ours, they have absolutely no reason - zero - to worry about getting pulled over either for violating the SLOW POKE law or racial profiling. Passing it was a huge waste of our legislators time and the citizens' money.

I got 99 problems, but one of 'em ain't gettin' pulled over for going too slow in the passing lane....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

The bill specifies that drivers should only use the left lane for passing

We have this in NJ with any road that has 2 or more lanes. You can only use the left lane to pass or exit. It gives police a reason to pull people over and go fishing. If you have out of state plates, you're getting pulled over. If it's a Friday or Saturday night, you're getting pulled over.

I know a few people that were pulled over for this and none of them got a ticket.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Well, it worked in Germany. I assume they still have that law about homesteading the passing lane.

The first time I drove on the Autobahn I was very careful to keep my passes fast and neat - then quickly back into the travel lane. It not just the law but the other drivers that enforce the lane discipline. There is a pecking order to it, too. I watched a Mercedes coming flying up behind an Audi that was passing me. He was easily going over 160 kph - high beams flashed a couple of times and that Audi GTF back where he belonged.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
In South Florida, many drivers are from countries that drive in the opposite lane from the US. They come here and treat the left lane as the slow lane. Around Miami I often see some one poking along at 35 in the left lane on major highways and tollways.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
In South Florida, many drivers are from countries that drive in the opposite lane from the US. They come here and treat the left lane as the slow lane. Around Miami I often see some one poking along at 35 in the left lane on major highways and tollways.
Can they read the English on the signs that say the left lane is only for passing? (Are there such signs?)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma passed this law a while back. A buddy of mine got a ticket for going 94 in a 75mph zone. He got another ticket for impeding the left lane. He asked the cop how the hell was I impeding the left lane when I was doing 94mph. Cop said it didn't matter you can't camp out there.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It won't help.

Here, we have a law that requires you to pull over and let others pass you if there are four or more vehicles stacked up behind you.

I have never in my life seen anyone pulled over for it.

Similar law in Oregon except it doesn't require four cars, you only have to impede one for it to be a problem but must be less than 10mph under limit. The reason I rarely pull people over for it is that everyone behind the slow car stacks up soo close there is no safe way to pass three cars and get in behind the slow driver to pull them over. If people would leave more room I would pull those people over more often.

There is rarely a safe way to pass that many cars outside of an interstate or an extremely straight rural road, but if people left more room cops might be able to stop people for that more often.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post