SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mississippi set to pass law regarding left lane slow pokes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mississippi set to pass law regarding left lane slow pokes Login/Join 
posted
We are progressive in our gun laws as well. The fine is not huge but allows for more pull overs on I- 10 which is a major drug corridor. Who knows maybe it will help. Here is the text below:

JACKSON, MS (AP/WLOX) -
Mississippi could set a small financial punishment for drivers who lollygag in the left lane.

House Bill 80 is headed to the desk of Republican Gov. Phil Bryant. It says that on any road with at least four lanes, a vehicle should not impede traffic in the left lane.

Punishment would be a fine of $5 to $50.

The bill specifies that drivers should only use the left lane for passing - unless the right lane is closed, is in disrepair or is otherwise impassable. Drivers could also use the left lane for a left-hand turn or left exit.

Critics contend the proposal would give law enforcement officers a pretext to pull over drivers for racial profiling.

If Bryant signs the bill, it would become law July 1.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Critics contend the proposal would give law enforcement officers a pretext to pull over drivers for racial profiling.

Asians? Everybody knows that they can't drive. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Waste of paper!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Waste of paper!

RMD

Not necessarily. Drug smugglers drive below the speed limit to avoid being stopped and searched, this could be a way to address the issue. Personally, I hate people who are too rude to give right-of-way to faster traffic, so I got no problem with that aspect, either.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
If I am in the left lane and have cruise control on the vehicle I will usually set it for about 5-7 miles over the posted limit, if it does not have CC I still try to keep it within that range but often fine myself running far in access of the posted limit.

I think there ought to be a minimum for the left lane and if you are below it then a citation is fully warranted

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
If I am in the left lane and have cruise control on the vehicle I will usually set it for about 5-7 miles over the posted...

And I hope you move to the right for faster traffic.

The way I look at it, if somebody is going faster than I am, he will get to the speed trap or traffic cop before I do, so I always let them by.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Waste of paper!

RMD

Not necessarily. Drug smugglers drive below the speed limit to avoid being stopped and searched, this could be a way to address the issue. Personally, I hate people who are too rude to give right-of-way to faster traffic, so I got no problem with that aspect, either.

No, it's a waste of paper. Start the fine schedule at $1,000 and we'll talk.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
No, it's a waste of paper. Start the fine schedule at $1,000 and we'll talk.

Works for me. Drug smuggler or Fucking Asshole, rude is rude.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Start the fine schedule at $1,000 and we'll talk.

You are not seeing the whole picture. Ten dollars for speeding, confiscation of large quantity of narcotics. A good cop can always find other violations that merit hefty citations. You need to watch more cop shows. LOL

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Not really progressive kind of behind the times. Many states have a law that you aren’t to be in the left lane unless actively passing a vehicle.m

Also that just says the fine is $5-$50. I bet court costs tack on another $200+.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It won't help.

Here, we have a law that requires you to pull over and let others pass you if there are four or more vehicles stacked up behind you.

I have never in my life seen anyone pulled over for it. In fact, you are lucky if you are only in a stack of four vehicles. Usually it's a dozen or more with some asshole up front doing 10-15 under the limit. Mad

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have the same kind of law in CO, it does not work.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That law has been on the book for as long as I can remember around here. It's just not enforced or at least no that I can ever tell.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t get to excited over these ‘left lane’ laws, especially thinking it will change things much. Say our left lane driver is passing, but there are 5 vehicles stacked in the right lane, and his overtake is only 4 mph faster? There are plenty of impatient drivers who’ll think he’s to slow, even though he’s 10 over the speed limit.

Then when he gets past, that impatient driver will pass on the right, before our passer is given reasonable time to change lanes. Just saying, there are all types out there, no easy fix as roads get congested.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Illinois did this several years ago..... Now if we could get the police to enforce it!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We've had signs up in MS for years now, saying it's the law to yield the left lane to faster traffic. Makes me nuts when people camp out in the left lane, but I've never seen a single person pulled over for it. Perhaps that's because there is not a penalty, but if it's already a law I can't see why they couldn't pull someone over now?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I am in the left lane and have cruise control on the vehicle I will usually set it for about 5-7 miles over the posted limit, if it does not have CC I still try to keep it within that range but often fine myself running far in access of the posted limit.

You shouldn't be cruising in the left lane unless you are passing someone. And you still have to move to the right if someone is behind you. Doesn't matter if you are speeding. Some people fucking idiots think that because they are doing the speed limit, or even speeding in the left lane, that they don't have to get over. Ummm, no. Its a passing lane. Your driving lane is on the right.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
To hell with those petty tickets. Just tow their cars and let them pay the towing, impound and storage fees. Stupid needs to hurt wallets.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

quote:

Unless you are passing someone, if you are cruising in the left hand lane, you are wrong. Doesn't matter if you're going 5-7 over or the speed limit. "Left lane for passing only" means left lane for passing only.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for Mississippi....These self proclaimed traffic monitor bastards that ride the left lane right at or below the speed limit should be ticketed or at least yanked out the vent widow, throw over the hood of the car and given a beating!
I suspect they are democrats wanting to exercise "control" over the rest of us, since they know better??

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

hahahaha. I like hearing that. Like I can see your race as you fly past me at 60+ MPH.
I just heard you stopped me because I'm black last night. No sir, I could not see you from the rear through all the loose cargo in your pickup truck. I stopped you for going left of center twice and look at how you stopped, you're in two lanes. I stopped you because I thought you were drunk. You're not, you're just stupid.

Our freeways aren't that long through our jurisdiction so it's hard to do this. Maybe for the troopers in our state.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post